Brisvegaxe
2 weeks ago

" As for predicting, it's impossible "

Every trade you do is a prediction  so maybe not so impossible hey ?  Re currency , its all hedgeable but needs to be done proactively . Personally i follow Robert Rennie from Westpac on AUD cheap/expensive/middle range valuations . His track record is good and worth following  .   

https://twitter.com/Robert__Rennie

"  When someone tells you it can't be done.

It's more a reflection of their limitations , not yours . "

kemery7
3 weeks ago

Is there anyway to mitigate fx losses after the event?

Pardon my ignorance, I have some modest gains on international shares being weighed down by quite heavy FX losses. Or, as I expect is it just to be put down as another lesson learnt?

Bear77
2 weeks ago

Not that I am aware of @kemery7.  Hedging usually has to be organised in advance of things moving against you.  Perhaps you could balance that risk by holding shares in high quality ASX-listed companies that benefit from that US$ movement.  Then perhaps what you lose on your US PF, you may gain some or all of that on your Aussie PF (portfolio).

Scarcrow
2 weeks ago

You can't do it retrospectivley, obviously lol. But yeah as bear said, if you're invested in Australia, you're hedged in a way. If the dollar goes up, you should benefit through cheaper goods and higher quality of life (in theory). Also consider assets like a house, they gain value on a global scale, as does your cash, so it offsets the Forex losses to whatever degree the balance is. If you're not very invested in Australia you can pay the fees associated with hedging.

As for predicting, it's impossible, even for the highest level of financial professional. More so than other forecasted elements of finance, future Forex is unknown

elpaso96
2 weeks ago

C'mon guys hedge it with Doge and Cardano :D 

AlphaAngle
2 weeks ago

Move and then proceed to live in that country.