Forum Topics Brisbane Meetup

Hi everyone,

I'm organising another Brisbane investing meetup for Thursday March 31st at 6:00pm. Format will be similar to previous events but in addition I'll be providing a book review of Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor. I'll send out a reminder a bit closer to the event but please flick me through an email to RSVP.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

canadianaussie1@hotmail.com.

Jimmy
3 years ago

Hi there, unable to get through on the email address you provided....nonetheless this note requests to count me in.

Thanks and look forward to the catch-up.

Cheers for now....Rodger.

rodger.james@hotmail.com

I've added you to the list and will send through an email in the next few days.

Hi everyone,

This is a final reminder of the Brisbane investing meetup on Thursday March 31st at 6:00pm. If you haven't yet RSVP'ed please do so by the end of the week so we can ensure there's enough seating at the venue. We have a fairly large group with 15 RSVPed so far.

Due to flooding we've had to change locations. I've sent out an email with the new details but be sure to reach out if you didn't receive it.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

canadianaussie1@hotmail.com

We'll be having another Brisbane meetup on Dec 9th at 6pm. Location TBD. If anyone who couldn't make it to the first one wants to come along to the 2nd, shoot me through your email.

I'll try to post a few notes on what was discussed afterwards for those who can't make it.

Just a reminder and correction for anyone still wanting to attend the Brisbane investing meetup next week. It will be 6:00pm Wednesday Dec 8th (not 9th). Send me through an email if you'd like to attend. We currently have 7 people and I'll be providing a book review on the Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham.

Noddy74
3 years ago

How did the catchup go CanadianAussie? I hope you got a bit of a turnout.

Any companies discussed that us non-Banana Benders should have a look at?

Noddy74
3 years ago

How did the catchup go CanadianAussie? I hope you got a bit of a turnout.

Any companies discussed that us non-Banana Benders should have a look at?

Hi Noddy,

The catch up was a big success. Everyone hung around for 2.5hrs and there were ~12 of us and a lot of new faces. Unfortunately we/I chose a venue that was a bit noisy so we've organised something quieter for next time.

Because it was such a large group and a bit noisy it's hard to tell what everyone discussed but from memory:

ADH

APX

DDC

DDT

HLA

Gold

Lithium

Macro

NVX

TLG

MNS

Z1P

IRI

3DP

PLY

VUL

Healthcare and Allied Health business models

Bitcoin/digital currencies

Property

Podcasts - Aussie firebug was suggested to me and I've enjoyed the few episodes I've listened to so far

Margin loans and the GFC - apparently everyone had margin loans back then?

Lines of credit on home loans to take advantage of the next crash & pros/cons

When to sell

Portfolio sizing

How to manage risk in your portfolio (Annyck)

How risk management evolves when you're starting out vs 5,10+ years into investing

Advice for one of the attendees who wants to get into investing but hasn't bought a share yet

Cannabis

Macro

Economics

Investing styles (there was a wide variety)

When to "take profits" or if you even should (Annyck)

Mining companies and commodity cycles

Twitter

Strawman

Valuation

Babcock & Brown

Retail

Plus lots more

Someone mentioned wanting a bit of education as well. I had a book review for The Intelligent Investor organised but it was a bit noisy so I'll leave it for next time.

Happy to expand further on any of these to the best I can. For anyone in the Brisbane area, we'll be planning on hosting these every 3 months.