Forum Topics Strawman Platform Process
Bear77
4 years ago

I have been getting a number of "double posts" Strawman, including just now in the "Gold Companies" forum in the general forum section.  I click once and I get the same post - or reply to a post - displayed twice.  This also happened to me in the RHC valuation forum (also in the general Forum section).  Could you possibly get these duplicate posts (which are identical in every way) deleted?  And perhaps look at the cause of the issue too?  Ta.

Strawman
4 years ago

Thanks for letting us know -- will get onto that ASAP

Bear77
4 years ago

What about capital returns Strawman?  Would they be processed as dividends, i.e. automatically reinvested back into more shares (regardless of whether the company has a DRP in place and operating or not) or would capital returns not be able to be processed at all?  Capital returns can be quite large when a company is in "run-down" mode, and the effect on an SP of a company when they go ex-cap-return can be very significant.

Next, when do you credit members scorecards for dividends paid?  When they go ex-div, or on the record date, or when the divs are paid?  This is important because they are clearly earned when they go ex-div, and that's when the SP is affected.  However, at this point in time, we have heaps of companies deferring their dividend payments for 6 months, until October in many cases.  Some of those divs have already gone ex-div, so they've been earned, but won't be paid for 6 months.

Lastly, when you credit dividends via buying more shares within Strawman.com, what DRP price do you use?  Many companies offer significant discounts for their DRPs, such as MGG and MHH, with Magellan paying the difference between the DRP price and the SP/UP (share price/unit price) at the time (so as not to dilute existing shareholders who choose to receive their distribution in cash).  Therefore you would end up with more shares in real life if you reinvested the distributions (because they would be purchased at a lower price), compared to reinvesting them at the closing price on the day they went ex-div or the day they pay the dividends/distributions. 

If you credit Strawman scorecards on the day those divs/dists are paid using that money to buy more shares in the same company at the closing share/unit price on that day, that would be close to fair, in that it would be like choosing to receive your dividend/distribution in cash, and then having that money automatically reinvested in the same company at that closing price on the day you receive that cash.  Not ideal, but sort of fair.  

If the calculation is performed within Strawman on the pay date rather than the ex-date or record date, what happens if the member has closed out that position (sold their shares) before the pay date?  Do they still get the shares equal to the dividend?

I know that you can't cater for everything or to everybody's preferences, but just wondering how it all works at this stage in terms of payments made to shareholders by the companies they hold shares in.

Strawman
4 years ago

Hi Bear77. All capital returns are reinvested on the ex-date at the closing price of that day. If ever there is a unique situation that is not properly captured by the data provider (S&P), we can manually adjust.