Forum Topics Next Strawman Update Suggestions
Timocracy
4 weeks ago

BTC Tracker? (No other shitcoins)

Technically it is an online investment, this being a private online investment club… would also serve as a good BTC forum to document SM users’ thoughts over the next decade, as well as a helpful place to avoid the standard “crypto dudes” and suggest appropriate ways to obtain and store BTC.

I suppose that warrants an argument to have a variety of other assets or commodities charted on here but I could dispose of that with the suggestion that there aren’t really other assets that could have a global impact on how we all live.

Timocracy
4 weeks ago

To be clear, I would even be happy with just the ability to watch it/put a marker pin on it, be a part of the conversation without the ability to add it to my strawman portfolio. Just so we don’t steer away from ASX.

mikebrisy
4 weeks ago

My view: I would value the Strawman community most if it remained focused on ASX-listed equities and ETFs. That’s why I joined. The benefit to me would be diminished if the feed became cluttered with posts on other asset classes.

Vandelay
4 weeks ago

@Timocracy you can create a Bitcoin Forum feed on strawman already. In fact there might be one already.

Not sure the value of a Bitcoin tracker, strawman doesnt track the value of any other assets or commodities that arent traded on the ASX.

Rocket6
4 weeks ago

@mikebrisy, my view too, well said.

Timocracy
4 weeks ago

@mikebrisy @Vandelay those are fair comments and I concur to a large degree. I'm not looking to turn Strawman into my personal investment hub for anything and everything which is why I also suggested it could be a terrible idea and warrants opening the floodgates to other asset classes which would definitely dilute the platform.

I also appreciate the ASX specificity of the platform. While a lot of users will have alternate investments, international shares, commodities, bonds and whatever else - there are ETF's or other similar trackers that are available already on the ASX which mimic that (trend) all quite well. @Strawman pointed out recently that not even the CRYP ETF has much to do with that market and as far as I'm aware, there is no such mirror accessible on the ASX to serve as a flag post for BTC in particular.

Let me stress that I do not currently, nor have I ever held any form of crypto 'asset'. The water still seems quite murky and I'm not sure I'm ready to toe in just yet but I know others feel strongly. My primary argument would be that if Bitcoin is the "one crypto to rule them all" and it ties a lot into general market sentiment it would be great to have a chart accessible alongside other investment notes.

The catch-22 is that if there is a forum already which people on the platform gravitate to, then your feed may become cluttered with BTC propaganda regardless. If there was a designated BTC page (or modified version of a forum, ie no 'straws') then surely it wouldn't be too difficult to include an opt-in/opt-out toggle. At very worst I would posit that it comes in and out of fashion in waves, much like a Brainchip, Polynovo or anything lithium or coal.

If it is true that having one BTC page set up like a company page is enough to derail the entire value proposition of the site then it kind of proves the point that more members are interested in exploring that avenue. I see it in the light of the general Strawman community being significantly more civilised and objective than the typical crowd that floods that space. At least being here on Strawman it would be a bit like giving your 17yo kid a glass of red with a roast dinner at home rather than having them climb out a window to head to a party to down a 6 pack of pink cruisers.

It would likely be very beneficial for us all to keep a track record of thoughts alongside a designated "crypto corner" (which is just bitcoin). This is something that doesn't seem to be going away and has a very intriguing future no matter which way it goes.

All of that being said, it is clear from the engagement levels on this post that the support is against my suggestion and this is certainly not a hill I want to die on. I do believe, however that there is neutral to value-added outcome here as opposed to the theorised negative tilt.

18106848e77e80ec8cbe54e1b90ad7afd056e4.png

I'm hard shell tacos for beef, soft tacos for seafood. In case anybody was wondering.

Strawman
4 weeks ago

I hear you @Timocracy. If S&P didn't have some weird classification for what is an ETF vs an ETP (exchange traded product) -- providing data for the former but not the latter -- we wouldn't need to do anything. There'd just be a page for EBTC, which tracks the price.

As it stands, it requires a separate data feed and a bunch of technical work. That's not impossible, of course, but unless there's a strong desire from a majority it's probably not worth the effort -- especially if it's a negative for many.

As @Vandelay suggests, there is an existing forum post (here: https://strawman.com/forums/topic/4817).

Timocracy
4 weeks ago

That makes sense then @Strawman so what I understand is that EBTC while accessible on the ASX through a brokerage platform, is classed as an ETP rather than an ETF and that's the hurdle to having it viewable on SM?

I can definitely appreciate the extra hassle is not worth it for one sideshow unless the benefit was substantial which I know this wouldn't be at all (that is, if we can be assured that the strong feelings against it aren't reflected within the whole group). For now I might just ask ChatGPT every day if BTC is a "good buy" yet and take that advice ;)

Timocracy
a month ago

Turning Strawman into a news site, perhaps we could add a hashtag search function from the home page so we can just filter through in the morning by “asx announcements” or “director buying” more broadly across what other members are covering rather than mostly seeing that of who/what we follow?

The ‘latest first’ algorithm is wonderful though, just maybe an extra way to search for things that have already been categorised.

edgescape
a month ago

Think it will be good if we have the following:

1. Ability to bookmark forum posts
  2. Search on forum posts made by yourself (just noticed now you can filter on forum posts in "your activity feed")
  3. Tagging of forum posts.

edgescape
a month ago

Not sure if this has been raised before but it will be good if we can see the grand total value of our portfolio and the percentage change versus yesterday.

Saves us having to keep track of this ourselves

Vandelay
2 months ago

Hey @Strawman I thought it would be cool if we had a note taking page on our home profile page. It could be structured like the strawman forum, where I can create headings for topics that aren't specifically company related, such as investment concepts, checklists, strategies, things to remember or whatever non company specific investment topic I want to make notes on. I currently do this myself on my computer or phone. But it'd be good to have it all on strawman. These wouldn't go onto the main strawman feed. They would only be available on someone's page. The ability to toggle between private and public on the different note threads would be good. And if people choose to have their notes publically viewable, it would be awesome to see behind the curtain to how people think about their investing etc.

NewbieHK
2 months ago

Great idea!

west
2 months ago

This would be awesome !!

Strawman
2 months ago

yeah I like that idea too @Vandelay

I'm actually in the process of working through some new feature ideas, and this will be thrown in the mix.