Forum Topics Bitcoin as an investment
Remorhaz
a month ago

Morningstar Investor here in Australia recently published this article - it's behind the paywall but a version of it is also publicly available on the US site:

Is even a little Bitcoin too much for your portfolio?

The title sounds like it's going to be quite negative on bitcoin (and I know @Strawman by definition would like to hear any counter conversations) and the article does highlight a few things, but to me it's also somewhat positive (at least at small levels like 1 or 2% allocations)

Remorhaz
a month ago

Nothing earth shattering or new but another in Firstlinks this week:

Does Bitcoin warrant a small allocation in portfolios?

Rapstar
a month ago

I thought it would be worthwhile analysing ETF demand since the launch last week. this is what I found:

7aee917ea8037153db648d5dbb387a49b448e7.jpeg

Overall, the demand for $BTC has been subdued by outflows from the Grayscale ETF (due to arbitrage profitaking), and holders of Purpose ETF selling (likely transferring to lower cost or US domiciled ETFs.

Remorhaz
a month ago

Bitcoin was the topic of discussion on the latest Weekend Edition of the NAB Morning Call Podcast - Separately (besides @Strawmanon the Motley Fool of course! ;) ) - I find the Morning Call to be a very good quick (typically around 15mins) early morning podcast each weekday for those who might be interested - available on Apple, Spotify and all good "podmachine" places

Our guest on the Weekend Edition this week says Bitcoin started as an anarchic response to the rapidly rising quantity of Fiat currencies. UK economist and writer Frances Coppola still believes the value of Bitcoin is tied to the policies of central banks, particularly when it comes to cycles of QE and QT. But does it really? Many argued it was a hedge against inflation, but that never came to pass. So what changes with Bitcoin now the USD regulator has cleared the way for ETF’s to offer the chance for regular investors to easily buy or sell out of Bitcoin linked securities? Is it now a more respectable investment choice? Will it lose its volatility? And, if it does, what’s the point of it?

raymon68
2 months ago

Bitcoin ETF approved. When is it coming to Australia?

Bitcoin ETF approved. When is it coming to Australia? (fool.com.au)

Will other cryptocurrencies follow?

Gensler was quick to shoot down any hopes that other cryptocurrencies could soon have their own ETFs. He said:

Importantly, today's Commission action is cabined to ETPs holding one non-security commodity, bitcoin. It should in no way signal the Commission's willingness to approve listing standards for crypto asset securities.

When will it be available in Australia?

While Bitcoin ETFs will soon be available on Wall Street, that isn't exactly easy access for Australian investors.

The good news for Aussie crypto bulls is that it is widely expected that regulators will allow a local spot Bitcoin ETF to launch during the first half of 2024.

USA Price:

a new age Asset.

b8b4a23d385266b27ef82d77e830cd4333f845.png

Rapstar
2 months ago

VanEck CEO Anticipates Spot Bitcoin ETF To Start Trading Thursday

Meanwhile, VanEck's CEO Jan F. van Eck, in a CNBC interview, expressed his expectation for their Bitcoin ETF to begin trading on Jan. 11, with the latest S-1 filings revealing strong seed capital.

In related news, Ark21Shares Bitcoin ETF and Grayscale Bitcoin Trust have also submitted their updated filings to the SEC Tuesday morning.