Forum Topics Down votes should be public and require a reason
edgescape
3 years ago

As I just received a downvote for my latest valuation update, it would be good if it was accompanied by a reason or a private message note by the user.

I also don't mind if the user keeps themselves anonymous after posting the note.

At the end of the day, people make mistakes in their valuation but also you need to consider the amount of time I spent doing it. This included downloading the financial data, doing a rough balance sheet/income statement forecast and "plugging" the numbers and revalidating the figures while correcting mistakes. It was also part of my assessment which I spent a few weeks on and then spent another 2 days revising it after the latest company results.

Hence it would be good to get a little feedback on what went wrong and why I deserve a downvote.

And I would also mention if the downvote should be ruled invalid because I didn't put the full balance sheet/income statement data in (this is actually the norm in most DCF reports).

I do put my hand up for my initial valuation mistake but that doesn't deserve a downvote either.

I also have a IT background so going back to mathematics after more than a decade has been a real challenge for me especially in an area not familiar to me (financial maths) and I'm bound to make mistakes as I learn along the way.

Sorry for the rant!

edgescape
3 years ago

Thanks Mark. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming changes to the site so will leave it as it is for now.

Noddy74
3 years ago

Edgescape, the haters are always going to hate and as Mark said that functionality is being taken away imminently.

If you put up a valuation backed up by a solid DCF you're already miles ahead of the pack in my view.  The quality of some of the crap that gets put up here is abysmal - and they're just my posts! 

Noddy74
3 years ago

Notwithstanding Strawman's intention to remove the downvote button, how about a poll?

Upvote this post - Keep downvote button with OR without justification being required (in whatever form)

Downvote this post - Remove the downvote button 

Bear77
3 years ago

So Darling, in summary:  Negative feedback is bad for the site and the community.  Positive Feedback is good, or at worst is relatively harmless.  Right?  According to that Stanford Uni paper.  I've given that a big fat upvote!

P.S.  'Remove the Downvote Button" - chant it with me people!

Strawman
3 years ago

Sorry guys -- it really is coming. We've been flat out working on something big, but removing the downvote is scheduled for the next release.

Noddy74
3 years ago

Well the poll has run for 24 hours and the winner is...Remove the downvote.  7 voted the post up i.e. Keep the downvote and 12 voted the post down i.e. Remove the downvote (Yes, I did like the irony of having to use the functionality you wanted removed in order to support having it removed).  So the people have spoken with 63% in favour of removing the downvote.  Although...last I heard Strawman had something around 17,000 members so you could argue 0.0004% were in favour of keeping it and 0.0007% wanted it gone, with 99.9989% not caring a Jack Cracker one way or the other...

Strawman
3 years ago

It's been really informative to get everyone's perspectives on the voting system, and it's prompted us to reconsider how it works.

After a lot of careful thought, we've decided to remove downvotes altogether. This aligns us with the standard among most social platforms and will prevent the trolling we see from a very small minority of users.

As with twitter, if you don't like a post you can just ignore it. We're also looking to add a mute function which will hide posts from contributors that you don't find valuable.

We'll hopefully have this delivered soon.

The best way to ensure you see the content that is most valuable to you is to follow users and companies that you are interested in, and then configure the filter settings (located at the top right of the newsfeed). For example, you could select to see only the content from those you are following only, and turn off forum posts and trade notifications. Remember too, that you can drill into all the content from a particular user by going to their profile page and clicking on the 'Activity' tab.

Also, on a Company page, you can sort Straws according to votes so as to easily find the most endorsed material. We're also going to add valuations to this feed so you dont have to scroll through users individually.

Down the track, we're hoping to develop a smarter newsfeed which will prioritise the most valuable content (this is actually a lot harder than it sounds, and is something the big tech companies have spent millions on refining).

With Strawman, we're hoping to avoid the clutter and noise (and frankly the hostility) that is typical of most stock forums. Our approach is to give every user their own personal company report for every company, on which they can post whatever content they want without having to get drawn into long debates.

If someone has different perspectives, they can post their own insights (Straws) and Valuations. The community will decide what is best via the voting system, which will influence the ranking of content and contributors. And, as Bear77 says, the forums are there if people want to have a discussion.

As always, we're looking to continually refine the platform and are very much guided by community feedback.

Onward and upward!

As a random thought, you could have downvotes, but have them not shown to the poster - Ie., it just works in the algorithms behind the scenes. This way, well researched content like Bear's might float to the top, while lazy rambling like mine might sink to the bottom? =) 

Bear77
3 years ago

Nah Stuey - just get rid of downvotes altogether.  They are clearly being misused and making the downvote counts invisable to most of us would just increase that misuse - IMHO.  Get rid of downvotes.  But still retain the flagging ability - to flag posts, replies, straws and/or valuations as inappropriate or abuse of either the site or of site members. 

We also need the administrators to act on flagged posts and straws.  I have flagged a few that are nothing to do with investing at all and are clearly spam, but they are still here on the site - like the two (by Gabreltoni and larisadumer30 - both advertising "certificates") in the Gold as an investment forum thread.  Those two members accounts have been removed (which is good) but their work remains here where they left it (which is bad)  - and it should be removed - because it's utter crap and it does not belong on this site.  Those particular posts have 18 and 14 downvotes respectively, but downvoting them really serves no purpose - they just need to be removed.

Additional:  3:23pm (same day):  ...And they now have been - thank you Admin.  Both of the spam forum posts I described above have now gone, along with a semicoherent rant by Chalky1610 about one of them.  That's a much better system than downvotes in my opinion.  Flag inappropriate or abusive content and the system moderators (Admin) can remove it if they agree that it does not belong on the site.  As I have already explained in a different post in this thread - those flagging options already exist now, but don't seem to be used nearly as much as downvoting.

wishkey
3 years ago

Don't mind downvoting and think they it is a valulable part of the site. Also don't see a problem with making the author of downvotes viewable, as more transparency is almost always better. I personally like to downvote valuations along the lines of 'this is the only pure AI play on ASX, hence it's worth at least double current valuation', without any reference to future revenues or earnings. It's not so much that I think the post is incorrect, it's that it wasn't well reasoned. BRN may indeed become a multi-billion market-cap company in the future, but that will require a lot of things to go right and not doing back-of-the-envelope calcuations as to what current valuation implies, is inescusable. It's not about getting the right answer, it's about how you get there. Remember a broken clock is still right twice a day.