Forum Topics 100 Baggers
Rick
2 years ago

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a post in this thread and there’s been a lot of talk about doom and gloom over the past few weeks.

If you want to hear something positive, this 14 minute video by Scott Philips, CIO at The Motley Fool, reminds us that the All Ords Index has compounded by 10% per year over 100 years, and over the last 30 years your investment would have grown 16 times.

He says it could be different this time, but he hasn’t lost faith in human capitalism and that if you have any spare cash, it’s time to put it to work (I guess Scott also has a vested interest in saying this).

He says if you are waiting for the bottom, you won’t find it, and if you wait until you know there will be no recession, the upside will already be priced into the market.

He reminds us that nobody knows exactly what will happen and the experts wearing black suits in fancy glass buildings are no wiser than we are. We have the advantage over fund managers as we are invested for the long term.

…At least it made me feel better about picking up a few beaten down businesses on my watch list today that could be more beaten down tomorrow.

Bondie
2 years ago

I held OSH 20 years or so ago when it was 5c,

Tpped out around $8.5 pre pandemic from memory

LKE is recent one for some2a053ff3ea90fbe084c83afad7adf5dc28b7b3.jpeg

SaberX
2 years ago

Great for everyone who rode LKE. Even Liontown Resources is another success story alongside Chalice.

These are pretty popular social media stocks. My only worry is the over confidence it may give new investors. It's always great when you make money. Your eyes light up as you wonder all the possibilities if you could 10 bag your money on just this one stock.... but unfortunately the reality isn't that easy. Although I certainly wish it would be.

Bondie
2 years ago

Agree 100%, just saw that lke post pop up today and remembered a post on here and thought id add it.

My portfolio is much more balanced these days apart from RNU being approx 30%.

I wish i held them all....

My first purchase on LKE was 8c, with average of approx 15c held over 500k sold out over 12 months ago,

AVZ similar 750k average 18c sold most, currently over $1, hold a few.

RNU 4million at 1.5c, now 35c. Hold half but my average is 7c.

Even my OSH i sold a week after my purchase, didnt hold for the 20 years....wish i did :)

Hindsights wonderful, but i held many EV resource stocks at a loss for 12 months when i started my investments again 4 years ago,

Not nice to look at over that period for sure and high risk YES.

My plan was to invest in EV materials and stuck with it, not for everyone thats for sure.

I have recently diversified with approx 40% outside of this sector now, with much assistance from the Strawman community and continue to work at my investing learning everyday.

SaberX
2 years ago

Well my post 4 months ago on LKE congratulations certainly didn't age well. This is a timely reminder though of flying stocks and locking in profits. Curious - what are the collective's personal strategies on profit stop losses? Trailing rising stop losses? Or a set % above valuation price? How do you set and preserve potential profits from a downward reversal? Curious to hear, and i'm sure great to share around!

Certainly a similar conundrum now with coal stocks which are hitting highs, like all good things certainly cannot last forever!

AlphaAngle
2 years ago

Trimming on the way to the moon is my favourite strategy. Early on I was too binary with buy / sell decisions there isn't much ego in recognising that something is overvalued but could go higher.

umop3pisdn
3 years ago

Cross thread from the book recommendations post.

I have received the first book I ordered and have dived right in: 100 Baggers: Stocks that Return 100-to-1 and How to Find Them by Christopher Mayer.

The book is based on the US stock market.

I have only been able to find PME and OCL as two 100 baggers on the ASX.

Are there others?

Mujo
3 years ago

FMG, REA are a couple more. It's hard as a lot of ASX companies pay out large dividends too which has an impact. 

NST

Oneday
3 years ago

Hi umop3pisdn,

I found it beneficial to read 100 to 1 in the stock market by Thomas William Phelps first, this book is a study from an earlier period, and Christopher Mayer wrote 100 Baggers carrying on from Thomas Phelps book. I feel I gained quite a bit more knowledge reading both books with 100 to 1 first.

My biggest take away companies buying back stock.       

Rick
3 years ago

What if I said, 'You don't need any stock selection skills to pick a 100 bagger!' You might reply 'Andrew, bring back the down vote!'

What if I said, 'all you need to do is invest in the ticker VAS. You might say 'Now I know he's nuts, that's an ETF for the ASX 300'

What if I said 'If you are under 45, you will very likely see VAS become a 100 bagger'. Still don't believe me?

OK, here's my reasoning.

You only need to know two things;

1. The most important rule of investing, 'The Rule of 72' 

2. The compound return from the All Ordinaries Total Return index (ASX: XAOA) from June 1979 (when it started) to end June 2020 is 11.49% (Marcus Today).

Quite simply the Rule of 72 is,  t = 72/r, where t = the number of periods requireded to double an investment's value, and where r = interest rate per period, as a percentage.

So how many times does your investment need to double to make it a 100 bagger? Let's start doubling 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64. 128. OK, that was 7 times and we have more than a 100 bagger!

Now using the Rule of 72 where r = 11.4, we need 6.32 years to double our investment. We just worked out that we only need to double our investment 7 times to have more than a 100 bagger. So that means it should take about 44 years (7 X 6.32) reinvested in the Australian Stock Market to reap a 100 bagger! Now do you believe me?

Rick
3 years ago

Thanks slymeat. I only wish I had this advice 40 years ago. I can partly thank my son for inspiring this post (@Irrational, one of the 'uncleaned' as Noddy put it). We both joined Strawman at the same time in Feb this year. He invested in a handful of ETFs and has been back once to check on his 9.8% return :)

Having said that I , like slymeat, love the chase of the high returns. Although I don't really need to to do this, it's just a passion, or maybe even an obsession! (That's what my wife would call it!) :)