Forum Topics Synbio
laoshi
3 years ago

7investing podcast : Blue-Sky Thinking in Synthetic Biology

In this episode of the podcast, Maxx Chatsko and Andrew Hessel discuss what he’s been up to lately, what he’s most excited about in synthetic biology, and what’s ahead for programmable biology.

7investing Lead Advisor Maxx Chatsko has always defined synthetic biology as a way of thinking. It’s about applying an engineering mindset to biology. After all, the primary goal of synthetic biology is to precisely engineer living things and achieve a predictable, reproducible outcome. https://7investing.com/articles/blue-sky-thinking-in-synthetic-biology/

RogueTrader
3 years ago

My question is why anyone would listen to Maxx when his 7investing record is so poor compared to say Anirban or Simon. His record on 7investing only goes back to last September though - hopefully his long term record is much better?

laoshi
3 years ago

Fair point rogue trader and I am happy to receive feedback from the community if this sort of material is not appropriate for Strawman, but Synbio is a field I am learning about for the longer term. As I have mentioned in earlier posts the CSIRO has significant investments in the space. The podcast ranges broadly on blue sky applications which may be too long term for investing but I put it out there for others on Strawman that have an interest in the future.

“DNA is the original blockchain” “brewing beer to treat depression” “coding for biotech” “aerospace driving the need for Synbio” “Africa having sun, water, warmth and young people, the perfect environment for Synbio” paraphrasing some of the content but I do think this field will have impact during my lifetime.

RogueTrader
3 years ago

I'm sure synbio will have "impact" but so did the car industry in the 20th century, and almost all of them went bust, along with countless billions of investor dollars. Just remember that biotechs are an investor graveyard where trillions of dollars go to die (and Maxx's results are a perfect example of that) and invest accordingly. Personally I like money so I avoid the sector like the plague.

laoshi
3 years ago

Video from Bloomberg on Gingko bioworks, a leader in the Synbio field.

https://youtu.be/OViMxELBYew

laoshi
3 years ago

Aussie start-up ULUU raises A$1.3M to replace plastic with a biodegradable alternative made from seaweed.

ULUU’s a safe, natural polymer – a type of PHA that’s durable yet truly biodegradable, even in cold, dark conditions such as the ocean (in several months in those conditions, so please dispose wisely).

It’s produced via fermentation – like brewing beer – using saltwater microbes, which reduces fresh water reliance (we use seawater instead!) as well as the need for costly & harmful chemicals and the energy-intensive, slow equipment sterilisation processes others perform.

In contrast, ULUU’s seawater process unlocks “open and continuous fermentation”, whereby downtime for sterilisation is not required, providing the potential for major yield & cost improvements, while reducing associated GHG emissions.

https://www.uluu.com.au/what-we-do/

laoshi
3 years ago

Interesting interview from 7investing covering Synthetic Biology 

Bolt Threads. The sustainable materials company is using synthetic biology to create reliable supply streams of high-quality materials for some of the world’s leading brands

• Microsilk: Spider silk made with genetically-engineered microbes for improved cost and scale. These natural fibers can replace synthetic polymers in various fabric applications. Read more.

• B-silk Protein: Stumbled upon during the development of Microsilk, this ingredient can be added to cosmetic or personal care products to replace keratin (derived from animals) and silicone (a synthetic polymer). Read more.

• Mylo: A mycelium material used to replace animal leather without compromising on performance or luxury. Global companies launching Mylo products soon include adidas, lululemon, and Stella McCartney. Read more.

https://7investing.com/articles/bringing-synthetic-biology-to-consumers-one-material-at-a-time/