Forum Topics Morningstar premium
Remorhaz
3 years ago

I've also been using Premium for the past 3 or so months. I also subscribed because of the included Sharesight Investor licence (and since I used a special offer to get Premium for $365 for the first year - the actual cost above Sharesight was very minimal). Note you don't have to create a new sharesight account or anything - it uplifts your existing sharesight account to Investor level (even during the 4 week trial) - in fact if you do decide to subscribe - get the 4 week trial anyway because your paid subscription starts at the end of your trial (it did for me anyway)

Like others I do like their stock analysis writeups and appreciate the Sharesight integration and the ability to use their Portfolio X-Ray tooling over that (and they finally recently released the support for international stocks, ETF's, etc in X-Ray so now I can get a pretty much total portfolio lookthrough (and I have multiple local and international ETF's and individual shares as well as some managed funds and I get a lookthrough view across the lot - e.g. if I owned some stock directly and in multiple different ETF's and managed funds it tells me the percentage holding in each (overlap) as well as a total across everthing; plus asset allocation, sectors, regions, styles, etc across your whole portfolio)

A very small negative is that they don't support CHI-X listed holdings in X-Ray (nor PMGOLD for some reason)

Other than that their daily emails and regular articles are also worthwhile, they also have a podcast (you don't need to be a premium member for these) and also a twice weekly webcast (which you do if you want to attend live - but they are also posted to their public youtube channel a week or two afterwards) - both of them predominantly contain material which is fairly basic and common sense

footynut
3 years ago

I've been using their premium service for the last 6 months and have no complaints. Australian Coverage is very much focused on AX300 with a  heavy tilt on large caps. I particularly like their international share and ETF coverage. the most impressive part of this service is its integration with sharesight as it provides a great overview of stock allocation, concentration, portfolio performance and stock overlap (if you have multiple ETF's). 

Chagsy
3 years ago

Does anyone subscribe to this service?

Being still in quarantine, I was just tooling around looking at various finance websites and wondering which one/s might be worth subscribing to, and signed up for their free 4 week trial. It seems to be very much a large cap and ETF zone.

They offer reviews of undervalued "five star" companies according to their analysis, but there arent many that might fit my criteria. The "moat" section I found useful, and combining "moat" and "five stars" might identify some great companies at good prices. Auckland international airport didnt get 5 stars for value but was a company I had not considered before, they basically have a monopoly on international passengers, which one assumes will return to normal at some point. Sydney just had a takeover offer, so thats another angle. But, they have just announced a major capital expense with their re-build, and already have a lot of debt, so got less interested.... for now.

The international share research, I did find useful. I mirror some of the top 5 holdings in Jo Magyer's international growth fund, which is a bit cheeky, but it allows me to find out a lot more about those companies.   CoStar (another monopoly), for example, I have a lot more conviction in after reading up on the morningstar premium site.

I wouldnt normally have been converted to a paying subscriber except, I noticed they also included Sharesight investor membership in the $399 pa cost. This usually goes for $280 pa, so you are basically getting Morningstar for $100pa and if you can tax deduct that subscription, a bunch less.

Just thought I would see if anyone else has any good/bad feelings about it.

Oh, and thanks to whoever put up the TIKR link, great stuff. I had to get an invite code, if anyone else wants to sign up, but you can just google that and find one.

Happy reporting season!