Forum Topics Hypothetical
PortfolioPlus
3 years ago

The first issue before deciding on the advisor is what do you want to achieve with your pool of investable funds.

personally I wouldn’t select just one, otherwise you might drown upon their preferred investment strategy. I would divide the pool into quarters and allocate accordingly.

pool1 Deep value - hard to beat Collins Street Value and Michael Goldberg.

Pool 2: Investment Agnostic - hard to beat Simon Shield of Monash

Pool 3 - High growth - plenty of contenders on .Strawmam. In times past I might have nominated Alex Waislitz, but his Thorney Investments has proved a crock and with massive fees for under performance. 

Pool 4: High income + franking credits- I am undecided here but Don Hamson of Plato is a possible

UncleWally
3 years ago

Interesting topic, but there in nothing hypothetical about the follow,

Like many on Strawman I started my investing journey with Motley Fool, I liked their educational offering and related to several of their advisors who comunicated their advice well.

Our very own Strawman being one of them.

When TMF offered their PRO service under Joe Magyer's leadership I joined. Joe did a wonderful job as PRO PM and everyone was very disappointed when he left the service to head up Lakehouse Funds Management a fund wholly owned Motley Fool Austarlia.

Fortunately Joe was replaced by his righthand man Matt Joass, who did an equally impressive job running the service. When Matt left PRO I was equally dissapointed.                        Matt went on to establish Maven Funds Management which has been operating now for slightly more than a year.

I have been following these guy's advice from day one and I have grown as a successful investor and as a person - there is more to be learned in investing than how to make money, so it made sense to continue investing with them via their funds. They are both wicked investors and I add to my Lakehouse and Maven Investments on a regular basis. 

I'm not one of those investors that likes to do all the research myself. I don't have the skills nor the time or inclination but I do take my hat of to those that can. I prefer to ride on the shoulders of proven performers like Joe and Matt knowing their experience, knowledge, record and access to management is far superior to anything I could conjure up.                           I have built a significant portion of my Portfolio around these guys. If anyone is looking to diversify into Funds Management then these two funds are well worth looking at. 

Diversifying my portfolio into managed funds is a deliberate strategy on my part as I want to have more time to myself in my latter years knowing my money is being well managed. That's not to say it's a set and forget investment but instead of following my companies closely, reading reports, articles, listening to CEO interviews and the like, I can leave that in the capable hands of people I have long followed and benefited from and go play Golf!

In the meantime I'm enjoying being a Strawman Premium member and feel privileged to be able to share the knowledge of some very talented investors.

FYI: https://www.mavenfunds.com.au/

https://www.lakehousecapital.com.au/

Seymourbutts
3 years ago

Hypothetically speaking, you are not allowed to invest any of your money yourself - who would you trust with your money and moreover, who would you want to invest on your behalf? 

There's plenty of good fundies out there, and plenty of good investors who closely align with my investing values. Just though it would be interesting to see what names, or organisations get thrown about. 

I'll kick it off, I'm a big fan of Michael Frazis of late, and apparently they have a retail fund coming out later this year (?). However would also back in Claude Walker (A Rich Life), Luke Winchester (Merewether Capital) and the Strawman himself. 

bjbart
3 years ago

Ian Cassel 

reddogaustin
3 years ago

My initial response to your hypothetical was "no one!" as the majority of fundies may be smart, but are hamstrung by rules and risk constraints and I think drink their own cool-aid ... sooooo....

+1 for Michael Frazis and Joe Magyer.

Both gents seem to match my appetite for tech and risk.

[edit: spelling]

reddogaustin
3 years ago

I thought more on this hypothetical and perhaps missed the most obvious and arguably the best option if one was not allowed to invest themselves...

your superannuation!!!