Forum Topics Subscription services / newsletters / software you use
edgescape
5 months ago

Looks my University Account also has a Factiva subscription.

I only just found out when doing a library search of a newspaper article.

Typical of me to find out just as I complete the final year of study.

Below is one for Megaport

3797202e6eebf5a925a0e3883960faed9617b5.png

IPD Group

57d9b9f4aaee38fb146f8b913d528c22dd8fb9.png

Develop Global DVP

8268beba8a12305405ce6a9415e0b6eff3e208.png

Lots of reading to do...

edgescape
9 months ago

As I mentioned before in the South32 straw, I managed to restore access to my Morgan Stanley account today when I showed them my statement from a past employee stock plan.

Either I did not login enough or my MFA was not set up properly

Impressive but they need to fix up the search engine. Searching for Northern Star displays Pilbara Minerals and South32.

Only shows large caps and nothing below 500m. Probably why I stopped using it.

But I think after what happened to Altium, I will try and use it more.

42f79d8c1cacf86b7f5d57b8d27b2681143232.png

edgescape
one year ago

Can't ignore hotcopper :)

Bear77
one year ago

I politely disagree with that. I manage to ignore HC for months at a time, sometimes years, my next goal is "decades".

edgescape
one year ago

To their credit HC does allow you to view announcements on your mobile without downloading the pdf file. That's pretty much the only reason why I use it. Having said that there are a handful of posters that I find are very knowledgeable and polite when you point something negative.

But the one holy grail I want is a website that can screen AND send an alert for companies that have performed or starting to perform better than the benchmark (all ords/asx200).

I only found one for the sp500

reddogaustin
one year ago

Hotcopper is excellent...if you read every, single, post, through a lens of scepticism.

I find its great for a laugh by reminding me investing is not about childish ranting on the internet, its about time and research and conviction.

And like Strawman, sometimes you observe a point of view that is an aladdin, a 'diamond in the rough', that gives pause for thought (after the scepticism/bias check) and challenges your research or conviction.

But yes @Bear77 mostly hotcopper is garbage.

fcmaster26
one year ago

HC can be quite useful.

Everytime when I'm interested in a stock, I'll just go to HC and post something negative about that company without doing any research.

If shareholders came back with solid arguments, then I know it's might be a good idea to be on the same boat with those people.

If shareholders got mad instantly and started insulting me, then I'll just stay away from this stock because the company is probably overvalued because of FOMO buys from stupid people.

loshell
one year ago

Poor form @fcmaster26... trolling is not a constructive or good faith use of anyone's time even if some of the folks being trolled are "stupid people". I suspect your "technique" is more likely a "garbage in garbage out" signal rather than a true signal to noise boost, as anyone with clue willing to take the time and effort to respond in good faith to your bad faith post is presumably in the minority of clueful people (most of whom I guess would roll their eyes and ignore you).

fcmaster26
one year ago

Sorry if I offended you somehow. I was just trying to be a smartass.

I absolutely agree with you that we should always try to be constructive and respect other people's time.

But then again, it's HC we are talking about.

Can't help it mate, just can't help it.

loshell
one year ago

Not at all offended and I'd generally agree with the thinking that HC has relatively low SNR. Perhaps I just woke up a bit grumpy this morning as normally I'd take the "roll eyes and ignore" option, but for whatever reason felt compelled to point out that trolling folks you don't know and suggesting some sort of useful insight/signal could come from it was no bueno. I suspect you wouldn't suggest it's a good thing to do here on Strawman even though there's probably a good amount of participation cross-over between HC and Strawman, and probably plenty of folks here who have bought shares without a compelling investment thesis (yours truly included).

Lets strive to increase SNR wherever possible, or failing that refrain from lowering it :)

Anyhoo, time to return folks from this tangent back to their originally scheduled discussion.

edgescape
one year ago

Some more websites to add if you are into fundamentals.

Capital IQ and Capital IQ Pro Not sure of the cost. Got a subscription for my university studies and have only just started using it.

The detail on insider ownership is amazing as shown below. Goes over and beyond some paid services such as Tikr. Columns are change of ownership per quarter.

e51e3a8a75474a03dc6abdd3bea981e06b4b97.png

f29419d9d398aae3a11b67bb7275deb31d1e60.png

Click on Ronald and you can see we have a former director sold out as below.

48800cd7f5a5241acdad18a101be8b4d926806.png

Factset - More basic data but still good. Can extract components of the indices if you are interested in frontrunning who could be included. Again obtained through university. There is a try for free option.

3876eecb076014c332a3a8c90e1609af5d484d.png

Another warning is that I find the insider ownership varies between websites such as Capital IQ, Tikr and Factset. Maybe confirm by checking the annual report although that only shows the top 20 holders as opposed to the above which had 30.

loshell
one year ago

@edgescape looks cool indeed, but the pricing would appear to be very spicy for small-timers:

d47a391c9d48517d5d1c5038c28740bce63d1c.png

edgescape
one year ago

Interesting find.

In summary this is the subject pathway to get access. You can search for the subject on the MQ website.

Factset - AFIN2070 Investments or AFIN1002 Finance 1B.

SP Capital IQ Pro - AFIN3053 Advanced Corporate Finance

I'm not sure about other uni courses. Plus the information is obviously subject to change.

I've also just confirmed my Capital IQ account expires July 2023. So I'd better make the most of it!

edgescape
10 months ago

Final day of my Capital IQ Pro access is tomorrow

Going to make the most of it tonight. Downloading a list of stocks by industry starting with Tech and Health along with Target prices, EVs Market caps etc...

Plus maybe a few maps of mining claims if I have time.

edgescape
10 months ago

Since I can't upload the text/excel file that I downloaded from Capital IQ Pro, I've managed to convert as PDF.

SP Global Tech 20230731.pdf

edgescape
9 months ago

This little newsiwire applet is nice. Go to news to access.

e46cdc75e103428d97e2f24138838054366f18.png

Still have access and I still get emails about new features!