Forum Topics ZIP ZIP Zip Co General Discussion
Nnyck777
2 years ago

Haha @Noddy74 it explains everything! All those institutional investors looking to invest kept getting stumped because of that 1.

My theory a move to tidy up then joint list in the states under recognizable ticker. Sezzle is US listed right? I am speculating but buying this company does provide the shortest path to US listing. Zip needs fresh investors. If bad debts aren’t bought under control R1P or RIP will be a serious risk.

Nnyck777
2 years ago

Hi @dcinsights and Zip holders,

I am struggling and I am not sure which I believe more about the latest insider buying:

1. An attempt to bolster waning investor faith in Zip. Retail investors have wanted to see directors and management put their own money in and they have finally done so.
  2. A genuine announcement that I would traditionally look for. Insider buying is one of the boxes I look to tick. This could be exactly what I want to see. If I was prepared to buy this at $6.00 last year in theory I should consider the $1.90 share price a bargain with the new merchants and customers the Sezzle acquisition brings.
  3. The cynic in me feels like it is an attempt to create a floor for this elevator trip to the SP basement. If this dips lower than the $1.90 retail investor capital raise offer , there is a real risk Zip will not get any retail takers and fail to raise the further $50 M.

I want to see a steady trend upwards as there are so many larger macro factors currently to consider for the BNPL sector as a whole. I can still average down if it hits $3.00 or $4.00. Holding for now.

There just seems to be so much volatility in the share register especially since Bank of America's involvement.

Hi @dcinsights remember the SPP is the lower of $1.90 or average 5 day vwap to 1/4/22 is my understanding

Nnyck777
2 years ago

Hi all,

Well the sky certainly would appear to be falling for Zip. There as been a very steady SP decline over the past few months. I still hold but I will not add for now as the SP may certainly have further to fall. I am attempting to check my biases. Stopping, breathing and ensuring that I control any knee jerk selling.

Reasons to sell- My Bear case:

1.The sentiment is shocking 2. The SP calamity 3.Competition 4. Increasing bad debts 5. A huge short position 6. A huge motivation for banks to see BNPL fail 7. Bank of America involvement (dreadful downtrend since their involvement) 8. No first mover advantage 9. Shocking performance of Block and Affirm (along with other big tech) on the NASDAQ over the past few months 10. Did I mention sentiment?

So mad not to sell right?

Why I still hold (my own silly stubbornness perhaps is the answer). Will I end up with egg on my face in the long run….possible. But I am ok with that.

I think this weeks podcast from Owen and Raymond highlight something pretty important about companies….culture.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/asx-culture-killers-the-good-bad-ugly-of-company-culture/id1414707038?i=1000551566534

A startup can be nimble, innovative, adopt change quickly and be an exhilarating place to be. And If you have something people want and you have a great culture you can build a brilliant business.

I don’t believe BNPL is going anywhere. From a macro perspective despite rising interest rate pressures, one thing I am sure of is people are addicted to consuming.

People will continue to spend.

Capitalism and consumerism the perfect partnership. Western society as we know it will fall over without this partnership and never ending thirst for growth. If people don’t have the money now, they will delay the payments and BNPL will grow.

To me it is that simple. People will always want. Zip can help them get it.

The latest growth trends for Zip are strong. I expected an increase in bad debts as all the new global acquisitions are brought in to the Zip fold. I would have been shocked to see bad debts hold steady or improve at this juncture in business growth. It will be a disaster if Zip can’t get this balance right but this will take several more qrts to fully appreciate. Growth will become irrelevant if bad debts spiral. A balancing act.

The great culture of companies like Xero allowed it to attract amazing talent. This in turn allowed the development of incredible user friendly software. As Owen and Raymond highlight getting those great people can be the difference between success and failure.

Right now Zip certainly seems to be making the right moves and attracting new talent. People want to work for this company. I have chatted to one friend who is a software engineer recently recruited to Zip and he thinks it is a great place to work.

Zip’s ‘self reported’ metrics certainly seem to highlight a happy team. People will happily take their employer to task on anonymous surveys if given the opportunity.

37e78c645f9dfe408a32e65955f57ba5bbf629.png

So for now I will continue to hold and see what Zip can do. A great supportive environment where talented people want to work - should flow on to the development of the best digital payments technology. And ultimately with good management……success. Hopefully the share price will take care of itself.

I am interested in others views.