Forum Topics Rising interest rate plays, as opposed to rising inflation plays
Chagsy
3 years ago

• as opposed to rising inflation plays

It looks like interest rates will be heading up at some point in the next 12 months, or if central bankers are to be believed, a little longer than that.

Either way, it is an environment that most of us as investors have rather forgotten about. I am conscious that much of my recent success in the sharemarket has been on the back of small cap growth stocks transitioning from being cash flow -ve to cash flow +ve or indeed profitable.

But these companies are trading on significant multiples today, and aren't likely to perform as well as other sections of the market in a rising interest rate environment. Much as it pains me to move away from this realm, I think it might be prudent to re-position some/much of my portfolio to companies that will get a re-rate from higher rates. These are unlikely to be as high risk/reward, but it should be possible to identify a number of solid businesses which will benefit from this "rising tide". On the flip side, many companies that I currently hold will experience the exact opposite, either because they will have debt that will need servicing at a higher rate, or the WACC jumps and suddenly the DCF valuation of companies making profits in the future, no longer looks as attractive as those making a profit right now.

I was prompted into this thought process by two lines in the October Lakehouse small cap report:

We still see Netwealth as a beneficiary of this trend, and even though market rates are looking closer to 0.75% above the overnight cash rate, Netwealth’s earnings still stand to lift by around 4% for each 0.25% increase in short-term interest rates.

and

Meanwhile, EML is in a good position to benefit from economies (and malls) reopening, and is another portfolio holding that benefits from a rising interest rate environment given the $2 billion of float on its balance sheet.

I seem to remember that Computershare is another company that would also benefit from this theme.

I believe insurance companies might fit into this frame as they hold large quantities of short dated bonds, but I have little appetite for these as I can only see claims going one way with climate change. Although perhaps health insurers might be a better option? And financial institutions are the other classic play.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

It's hugely satisfying getting high growth companies right, as evidenced by all the interest on Strawman in the micro and small cap space. Pretty much all of the success I've experienced has been done on the shoulders of others, for which I am very grateful, but I wonder whether it is going to be the best space to play in, going forward?

reddogaustin
3 years ago

@Chagsy,

Some rhetorical questions for your brain machine.

Is your brain playing in the space of 'timing the market'? By seeking to shift in response to macro events?

You suggested you've made the big bucks from owning companies as they inflect into cashflow +ve, will you maybe miss this by rotating out of your small cap holdings now (vs holding through interest rate changes)?

I'm not disputing that Mr Market will punish small caps share prices as the rates change... but that won't change their value or day to day trajectory of a good small cap business. One might be more cautious towards one's more wild or risky small cap choices... but mostly shouldn't it be the call of 'let it ride'?

Whats your thinking on rates? Where is your 'red line' for action? Back to the +15% of the 90s? or the ~7% of the early/mid 00's or 2%, 3 years from now in 2024... and does it matter if you have conviction in your holdings right now, the 'ol "market closes for 5 years" test.

Just some thoughts from my brain box to yours.

[edit: these thoughts assume you would be changing your long term porfolio (in my case, the only portfolio). The situation changes if you have day-play or day-trading portfolio also.]

BkrDzn
3 years ago

I'd be more worried about REITsm infra and similar for leverage levels and rates risk than miners as the miners are cash cows atm and are relatively lowly levered, if they still have debt.

Chagsy
3 years ago

Hey RD!

There’s an old axiom in management that goes: always answer a question with a question, that way you never have to give an opinion - and that way you can never be wrong!

Let me disavow you of the “big bucks” idea! I believe, like you, I was a member of MF Pro. So did well from that. But my average has been a shade under 30% CAGR for the last 5 years. Nothing stratospheric compared to some here. And much of that is probably related to market sector selection rather than individual company selection. But yes, this is exactly about timing the market. Not THE market, but asset allocation within the market. Which is quite different. This may not be relevant to most, but I hope to stop working in a few years so the stakes are perhaps higher

As to interest rates, I don’t think we will go crazy, but a rise in the OCR to 2% from where we are now at 0.1%, required 5.5 doublings! That will have some profound implications. I’m not sure rising interest rates in relation to a stagflation scenario is the same as rising internet rates in response to a red hot economy. But here’s a theory:

Lets say I was no better than average at small cap stock picking, I would stil have looked like a genius in the small cap area over the last 6 years. But I would have had to be superb over the 5 years prior to that (2010-2015), where small caps generally lost money:

48b885dfbdfca08a9b33d6a53e84d37a208eb5.jpeg

Now, if we overlay the returns to the biggest 50 ASX companies onto that graph, we can clearly demonstrate how asset allocation would have worked wonders between 2010-2015 ( blue asx50, red asx small companies)

49ff4dfadd80a4710b8fe276b3e7c23104c81f.jpeg

And as interest rates fell to silly levels we could flip into the high growth small cap space……

so - if we look at the OCR for the last 10 years:

38ce60cbcb291b475a0e77eade70650588b695.pngDamn it can’t insert the graph here’s link

Its not an original idea - small caps tend to do worse in higher interest rate environments than larger caps but my hope is to find companies of any size that will benefit from higher rates, small or large, higher growth ….or not so electric.

I don’t trade. I don’t do warrants or options .

I have a very high risk portfolio outside of Super, which is what I am mulling over this question……..

Chagsy
3 years ago

Sorry RD. I re-read that and would like to say thanks for challenging my thinking. There is definitely a case for just getting the best growth companies whatever the macro background. I guess I’m saying I have less confidence in MY ability to do this in a less favourable environment. Others will no doubt do very well.

mall the best

c

reddogaustin
3 years ago

@Chagsy

No offence taken. I read your response and it engaged the brain bucket. Thinking hurts, but is good! Context is king, and the lens through which you peer for your questions and observations make them quite relevant!

I must say though, 30% CAGR is nothing to sniff at. Most investors would kill for returns at that rate! And perhaps those that make more than that (like some of strawpeople here) are in the minority. I can imagine myself becoming sufficiently wealthy on 30% CAGR for anyone's retirement aspirations! The best several super funds boast is ~9% CAGR!! (which I see as the "let someone else do it" option)

And my unsolicited opinion on sectors. You are perhaps correct that MF Pro did so well for targeting tech, but I assess that the potential in the sector of tech hasn't changed, and remains the best place for investment money. Self education in technology/computing/internet etc will never be time poorly spent. The ONLY reason the tech stops or turns off is the apocalypse.

I agree with questioning one's potential hubris in the recent 5-10 years of market success - maybe you are doing it right and just can't see it as you are too close to your problem/question, or maybe you are doing it wrong. I think asking is the sign of strong emotional intelligence and a great investor - ignorance would worry me more. I would propose to think of it more as a form of thesis check agaisnt your finacial goal or endstate, and as i've said elsewhere 'accumulate the most' is a rubbish goal. Maybe take action and change something, but consider not changing anything. But change for change's sake as the behest of market noise and fear is something I assume you wish to avoid. Maybe run some models on your CAGR, and if they dip (based on your perceived inability to perform), see where that declining performance ends as various points?

I would also offer I manage this question of confidence and capability through benchmarks, as long as I am beating the top few super funds (which is essentially the asx200 if you read their pds and investment fine print), then I am doing it "right" and should keep going. If I dip below these benchmarks for several years, say two full FY, then I will eat my humble hat, liquidate my portfolio and dump it carte blanch into super (tax advice pending of course). I don't benchmark against private fund managers, as that is not a fair comparison.

Thats a bit of ramble, but I hope it makes sense.

PS. Love the axiom. That explains many a manager I work with hahahahah.

Chagsy
3 years ago

Thx RD

”my” 30% return is mostly on the back of others as I stated. Primarily MFPro, but also special thanks to various Strawpeople including Rapstar, Bear, Arrowtrades, Glutenfree and Strawman to name a few off the top of my head. Plus my mirror holdings of Mavenfunds and Lakehouse. Next to none of it is due to original thought or discovery.

lots to think about……!