Rick
2 years ago

3b7979b57af8bf81f567a04224ad92b7ba2231.jpeg

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it’s a duck – and it should be regulated as a credit product.”

In this AFR Story today, Financial Services Minister Stephen Jones said Labor will amend national credit laws to encompass the emerging BNPL sector by mid-2023.

“Financial products offered by companies such as Afterpay and Zip now fall outside the legal definition of credit as they do not charge interest and have short repayment cycles.”

It had to come!

Disc: I don’t hold shares in BNPL

Strawman
2 years ago

Ha @Rick

Reminded me of a tweet i saw recently

b9e7d6df07fdf86337218c53dae65ca365b371.png

Rick
2 years ago

yeh!…the dark sun glasses didn’t hide the duck from the regulators for very long! He, he!

Rocket6
3 years ago

I read an interesting article today (courtesy of The Guardian) which discussed ASX-listed BNPL companies. Most of these companies have been smacked by the market in recent times - and perhaps justifiably so - as we have seen sales growth decline and cash burn increase.

More than 12 BNPL companies are listed on the ASX - none make a profit and regulatory concerns still persist. And more, the industry is only becoming more congested; these companies are now competing for market share against the likes of PayPal and Apple.

Article is here for those that are interested.