Forum Topics SCG SCG Are people really going back to shopping centres?
Remorhaz
2 years ago

I was at Westfield Warringah Mall (Sydney) on the weekend with my daughters and it was very busy (both the carpark and the mall) - basically as busy as I would expect pre-covid. I've also been to Macquarie centre and the Chatswood Westfield in the past few weeks and they were both basically as busy as normal pre-covid as well

I was also in the city (CBD) one day last week and also today and it's pretty busy there too. Certainly not back to pre-covid busy but still busier than I was expecting (all the shops are open and appeared to be getting quite a bit of foot traffic, the food halls were packed at lunchtime). Actually the office is significantly quieter/less people, but the streets and shops are busy so perhaps people are coming to the city during the day to Xmas shop?

shadow
2 years ago

I'm based in Sydney - interesting as I had a different experience (Chatswood Westfield and CBD Westfield was where I did my lingering and shopping).

Perhaps I was there at the wrong time. It certainly felt annoying having to take the phone out to check in to browse a store.

Seymourbutts
2 years ago

Little change here in Perth (for obvious reasons). Shops have been consistently busy now for some time, even more so in the lead up to Christmas. So can only see it getting busier.

There is a new Shopping centre in Karrinyup which has near on been the talk of the town (don't ask me why); something to do with an outlet called Sephora...

In saying that I rarely go to the shops myself (hate the places - only go when the missus drags me along).

barney
2 years ago

A colleague was telling me it took him 20 mins to - exit - Westfield Indooroopilly in Brisbane last Sunday.

But to answer the are people really going back to shopping centres, Maybe I'm in a different place to most people, however, I cannot recall the last time I went to one. Other than a weekly visit to Con the Fruiterer and the butcher, everything/anything else is delivered.

shadow
2 years ago

Hi all,

Given this weekend was meant to be a total shopping spree for "Black Friday", I must say I was extremely shocked to see how empty Westfields were. A few key observations:

• Restaurants/dining areas were packed
  • Shops were empty - everybody shopping online?
  • Grocery shops traffic seemed normal

Is the new Omicron variant a massive tailwind and scaring people away from coming back to the shops?

I'm based in Brisbane and my local shopping centre was absolutely packed this weekend. So were Southbank restaurants; we had to wait 20 minutes just to order a takeaway coffee. My friend was planning on shopping at Myer centre in the city on Sunday but quickly gave up when she saw how busy it was. The rules must be different in QLD as I haven't come across any shops requiring proof of vaccination status.