Forum Topics Straman mobile app
callawood
3 years ago

For me I use the Mobile Site most of the time.  With an icon on the Home Screen (apple) it’s pretty seamless but it does open up a new page every time . I prefer to just go into Safari and click away and that works for me

One tiny issue is while on the home page if I click on a link (have a read) then go back it returns to the top of the home page, then it’s scrolling to get to where you were but overall the mobile optimisation seems fine for my use and expectations. As per previous feedback from everyone there are a few tweaks already suggested that would be handy and I’m sure with ongoing developments it’s going to be pretty slick.

I just recently checked my history Strawman.com is in top 10 sites that i use most frequently and i consume it so regularly that i now feel it should be app on my phone.

@Andrew is there any plan to release mobile app?

wtsimis
3 years ago

Great idea and would fully support

DrPete
3 years ago

Building an app will incur substantial cost in build and maintenance. From a quick scan on my mobile, the site seems reasonably mobile friendly. Is an app really the best bang for Andrew's buck?

Strawman
3 years ago

We've looked into building an app previously. As DrPete123 points out, It's surprisingly costly to both build and maintain.

That being said, we'd happily invest what's needed if members felt it would be worthwhile. Given the site is already optimised for mobile, my thinking is that the real benefit of an app would be to have push notifications. But there are ways to achieve this without a full app build (at least for android).

Rebuilding the notification engine is already a top priority, and will be a necessary first step anyway. We'll likely get to that after we finish off some changes to the newsfeed sort algorithm (already testing this btw, and will have it released in the next week or so).

I'll keep you posted.

Personally, I don't see the need for an app but understand why some would. In the meantime, Chrome allows you to create shortcuts to sites (see screenshot) which I find useful.

cc6f16a22f5ac5f2b861c30155aec21ad08581.jpeg

mikebrisy
3 years ago

I don’t see the value of an app. Agree with @CanadianAussie, Bookmarks and Shortcut links work fine.

PabloEskyBruh
3 years ago

Apple does the same for webpages actually. Probably about time I did it too. Won’t help with notifications but the mobile website is definitely worthy of an app-like icon on my phone.

Dominator
3 years ago

I find the mobile site to be really well designed (well done Andrew and team!). Especially compared to most mobile sites which are often pretty clunky...

What would an app do that the website can't? Since this is an investing website... I don't see a positive ROI on the development of an app.

Rocket6
3 years ago

Took the words out of my mouth @Dominator. An app is costly and finnicky, and lots of sizeable companies - with millions in backing - often struggle to get it right.

I use mobile site 90% of the time and it runs really well.