Forum Topics Sydney Meetup
Strawman
12 months ago

It was great to meet up with members last night! Thanks for the great conversation and war stories (and for putting up with the odd rant or two from yours truly...)

We'll try and do this more often, and also arrange some get-togethers around the country.

dddb4061720d79ea09575c4069cf2aadbf70cd.png

DrPete
12 months ago

Thanks @Strawman! Great to meets lots of other Strawpeople and excellent conversation. Hope we didn’t max out your credit card, please send details so we can pay you back!

Shapeshifter
12 months ago

Wait @Strawman was paying!

I’m coming to the next one!

Strawman
12 months ago

Only for the drinks. I thought I'd get some tap water for the table..

4f90ba6b9da2c23e16d16404df81b34d060521.gif

mikebrisy
12 months ago

I echo the thanks to @Strawman for organising and fronting the drinks. It was a great evening and wonderful to meet so many StrawPeople, to share our investing and professional journeys to date, and to debate more than a few stocks. I didn't catch up with everyone, so - hard though it is to leave the Sunshine State - I'll be happy to join in again at a future date. I confirm the Sydneysiders are very welcoming of "foreigners".

Slomo
12 months ago

Ditto the Sydney Meetup sentiments shared so far.

@Strawman knocked it out of the park with great venues, a generous tab and top shelf guest list!

Even the interstate "import" was well behaved - at least up untiL I left...

Saiton
11 months ago

Bugger, missed it. Next time

Strawman
12 months ago

Ok, everything is finalised!

Apologies for the last minute change, but we're moving tomorrow night's catch-up & dinner to Circular Quay.

We have a room booked for 6:30pm at Hurricane's Grill which is located at Gateway Building, level 2, 1 Macquarie Place. (Map link is here, head up the escalator near Messina, click here for an image)

I suggest we meet at the Ship In Bar (Corner of Pitt St and Alfred St), which is more or less next to the restaurant. I'll be there between 5-5:30pm.

Hurricane's has a $60 set menu which hopefully is suitable for everyone (there's a caesar salad, stuffed capsicum etc for any vegos). 

Looking forward to catching up!!

edgescape
12 months ago

Thanks for organising the meetup. It was great to finally catch up with a few members in person.

Strawman
12 months ago

Ok, we have 13 confirmed and 2 maybes for Thursday. This is shaping up to be a great get together.

I've looked at a few restaurants, but for groups this large they force you into a set menu affair. (The ones that don't seem to not have the space)

Not necessarily a problem, but if people are happy with that I was going to suggest The Meat & Wine Co or there's a restaurant upstairs at Barangaroo House. I also looked at Lotus house but they dont have a table until after 8pm

Any preferences or other suggestions? We could even wander up to Crown or back towards the city?

If no one has any strong opinions I'll make a call later this evening.

mikebrisy
12 months ago

That's great Andrew. All sound good to me. Agree 8pm is probably too late if we're starting for drinks at 5pm. I like the look of The Meat & Wine Co, but I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine and I am happy with all cuisines and to fit in with others.

Playing to the $QAN theme from other straws, I'm flying down on Rex (saving myself over $200 on the return compared with $QAN and Virgin) in the morning for my early pm meeting. Fingers crossed that choice is less susceptible to the arbitrary cancellations that several friends have suffered of late on $QAN. Swear I'll never fly Jet Star again - but that's another story altogether. My wife is flying Rex to ADL via MEL 30 minutes earlier - she often used Rex and swears by them. Bring on the competition!

Looking forward to meeting some StrawPeople in RL.

shadow
12 months ago

@Strawman are you dead set on a Barangaroo location? I find Circular Quay's Hurricanes a good place to vibe and could be nice, with pubs around for drinks afterwards?

Strawman
12 months ago

Actually, I've had so much trouble finding something suitable at Barangaroo that I'm just going to jump on that suggestion @shadow

Plus it looks like we can get a private room and a set menu at $60 each (the cheapest ones in Barangaroo were all around $80 or more)

Let me confirm and I'll send out an email to those who have RSVP'd

Strawman
one year ago

It's been a while since we did an in-person meetup, so I was wondering if any Strawpeople would be keen for an informal get together?

I've been chatting with @mikebrisy who'll be in Sydney on the 21st of September, so I thought we could get together at 5pm in Barangaroo on that day. That seemed to work pretty well last time.

810b58e7a631aa1a306606f54910f44745d845.png

(Also, apologies for the Sydney-centric focus. Next time i'm interstate i'll put out a call for a meetup. But I'd also encourage people from other parts to arrange catch-ups here if interested. Certainly happy to help promote and coordinate)

Remorhaz
one year ago

Huh - I was thinking yesterday that I should ping you about organising another meetup ... great minds and all ... :)

Can I be so bold as to suggest we do food (dinner) as well this time and not just drinks - somewhere not too noisy so everyone can talk and hear

Strawman
one year ago

Absolutely @Remorhaz -- I'll book something once we have a better idea of numbers

mikebrisy
one year ago

Good idea @Remorhaz, I second that. So, I am locked in for that date, as I now have a commitment to another meeting in Sydney earlier in the day.

I know I've been unable to make the previous Brisbane events, but should the @Strawman ever venture to the Sunshine State, I'd made a special effort. Of course, We QLDers don't need to wait until then.

Slomo
12 months ago

The last Sydney meet up was great.

I'm in for drinks or dinner on 21st Sep.

Or both - drinks for dinner??

Karmast
12 months ago

Great idea @Strawman

We'd love to host you up in Brisvegas when you can too - I'm sure there are plenty of Strawpeople in QLD keen to have a chat and a bite with you sometime.

fcmaster26
12 months ago

I'm keen to join the Brisbane event if we were having one.

Slomo
12 months ago

Sydney Straw people,

Are we still on for 5pm in Barangaroo this Thursday 21st Sep?

Same venue as last time - Barangaroo House (35 Barangaroo Avenue)?

Looking forward to catching up

Nnyck777
12 months ago

Agreed @Slomo will be nice to meet some of the Sydney folk.

Cheers

Nnyck

Strawman
12 months ago

5pm it is @Slomo

So far we've had 8 confirmations. I'll give it another day, but with that amount I'm tempted to book a table at a restaurant as opposed to the Barangaroo House bar (although I think that's a good place to meet before hand).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

(if you havent RSVP'd, you can here)

DrPete
12 months ago

Count me in Andrew. Just signed up on your RSVP form. See you soon.

Strawman
12 months ago

Excellent! Looking forward to catching up.

edgescape
12 months ago

I've put my name down as a maybe depending on my schedule.

shadow
12 months ago

5pm is a little rough for me as I work outside the CBD but keen to join in around 5:30

Strawman
12 months ago

No stress @shadow. I'll be there from 5pm, but won't book a table until 6 or even 6:30.

Remorhaz
12 months ago

I vote restaurant (again :)) - both for food :), but also because I think it would be easier to talk and hear if the place isn't as noisy?