Forum Topics MFG MFG AFR article
Rick
2 years ago

Todays AFR article ‘Day of Reckoning for Magellan’s Hamish Douglass’ was rather scathing of Magellan’s recent underperformance. However, the article went on to include co-founder Chris Mackay’s viewpoint on Magellan and Hamish Douglass:

“Chris Mackay, the Magellan co-founder who for years has let Douglass run the show after stepping back amid rumours of a rift, was at Magellan’s Christmas drinks in Sydney’s Botanical Gardens on Thursday night. And, rarely, Mackay has spoken publicly about his support for the company and Douglass.

“Many underestimate the quality, resilience and breadth of Magellan’s business, their growth potential and the first-rate capabilities and determination of the teams, including Hamish and [interim CEO] Kirsten Morton,” he told AFR Weekend.

“When market cycles inevitably change, Magellan’s client-first focus should be more valuable.”

Disc: shares held IRL

It's fascinating how much many people are making out of the recent underperformance.

In my view, it's not the worst thing as it demonstrates that they are actually making bets and not index hugging. From what I can work out, it's been caused by:

1. A bet on Chinese Tech that went sour - I do think they got this one wrong, but I can't blame them for wanting exposure to this.
  2. A focus on capital preservation generally - if we get a bear market, I'd expect to see outperformance.
  3. Related to 2, holding more cash when the market went up crazily last year, which is a bet they got wrong, but one that I don't think was unwise to make.

Basically, long term I don't think that anything really affects their strategy.

• One significant risk I see is that some of their holdings seem weighted to big tech, which are at quite elevated prices, though, potentially not on a very long term basis.
  • I do think the key person risk is more elevated now.

Disc - I've added a small holding IRL and on Strawman. May increase it if the price drops further.

Hi All

Re MFG watch the flows from now on. that si the real risk, flows usually follow performance with a lag. MFG need to stem this flow, to state the obvious, before negative operating leverage becomes a big issue.

flows have been negative, which is bad, but have not been horrendous so far. MFG are a first class marketing machine, thsi will be a big test for them.

i have bought a few recently, as a div play, so a backhanded compliment i suppose. i am watching the flows esp retail-high margin

ArrowTrades
2 years ago

I agree people are making bit too much of it and if this were an LIC where your only exposure was to their funds holdings I would be tempted to buy as the market threw it out.

However being a management business you have direct exposure to investors acting irrationally and withdrawing their money via outflows. Unlike other plays this is not the sort of thing I would buy while sentiment is bad.

shadow
2 years ago

Currently sitting at a 43% capital loss and it definitely takes courage to average down. However, if you flip this and think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime bargain opportunity for a 7% divvy yield, almost a no-brainer.