Forum Topics Funnies
Timocracy
a month ago

Elon will be asking ChatGPT to solve the self-driving conundrum7daf68138af3ff5c4fe3e812c15ae90c29b515.jpeg

lyndonator
a month ago

As is flying - it is just a case of:

"Throwing yourself at the ground, and missing"

-- Douglas Adams

Timocracy
a month ago

86cf2ccac35eb1e20aeb7c0a3ae3c9d9702cf1.jpeg

Timocracy
a month ago

Merry Christmas, Strawpeople!

For once I hope Santa left some $WHC or $NHC in your stockings.

ee98ea9f54ea975add40d3f7eb2066720d70e4.jpeg

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

Since it's summer and the cricket is on I thought I would relay to cricket story. Actually it's my second best cricket story.

During the Ashes series of 1982/3, the touring English team went through a hard time. It was the last series that Chappell, Lillee and Marsh would play for Australia. By the 5th test in Sydney Bob Willis’ boys had just about had enough.

Late on one day's play, the English lost a wicket, and sent a nightwatchman in, named Eddie Hemmings. Eddie was an average of spin bowler but a very average bat. On his way to the crease he made everyone aware that he didn't want to be there. He looked annoyed and angry. Of course, the Aussie bowlers went after him. With a little bit of luck and some defensive skill he survived with a few runs on the board.

With his job done as a nightwatchman the next day Eddie decided to swing the bat. What follow was quite bizarre. They were thick edges, nicks, slices, mixed in with a few competent shots. The ball went everywhere but not to hand. Eddie’s score piled up and finally he reached the 90s.

At that point something came over Eddie. All of a sudden, he must have realised he was within striking distance of a test ton against the Aussies. His batting style and his demeanour changed. He squared up, head down, bat straight, taking on the form of a master batsman. Unfortunately a few balls later he was out.

To my knowledge he never reached those heights again.

You may be asking what the hell this has to do with investments. Well I think a lot actually, it has to do with style consistency, knowing your own limits, controlling emotion and recognising what a large part good or bad fortune plays in any outcome. Know yourself and being frank with where your abilities lie or do you not lie is critical being successful in my opinion.

Most of this is done off memory and hopefully I haven't butchered the facts. over the last 40 years I've told this story countless times to my investment buddies. Hope you enjoyed it.