Forum Topics My investment strategy right now
RobW
2 years ago

Nerdag

We are very much on the same page. Diversification holds merit if and when a market correction takes place. When you are well into, what can only be described as a 'market crash', the only challenge IMO is to be invested in Companies which will survive and then thrive on the rebound. Identifying what will thrive should in theory, correspond with your highest conviction stocks, that is, if your investment horizon is long term. For me, generally 3 to 5 years.

In my case, I have looked where the macro is least likely to impact on the Company's journey over the next 2 to 3 years. Looked at Companies which most likely can sustain without new finance ie will remain cash flow positive or where current momentum and proximity to profitability unlikey to be thwarted by the macro. Trying to stay clear of Companies which are directly or indirectly reliant on consumer spend (where the fallout is coming). Remaining invested in Companies which are industry or sector leading adds a level of comfort and adds to conviction ( in these unprecedented times LOL).

I have settled on 4 stocks on Strawman, these being Pointerra, Audinate, Playside Studios and surprisingly, Alcidion (only acquired recently).

In the case of my personal portfolios, have trimmed from 11 holdings to 7. The above four plus Pro Medicus, RPM Global and Cogstate.

All said and done, envy those who are sitting on cash. I am not very good at that.

RobW

nerdag
2 years ago

@RobW agree on avoiding industries reliant on discretionary spend, perhaps with the exception of travel. There is so much demand there from two years of a pandemic and the likelihood that the AUD will do very well relative to USD and EUR in a global recession is somewhat protective. We have lots of stuff in the ground that the rest of the world needs.

@suttree I'm still building cash and taking my time. I am conscious of getting two decisions right (sell, and then buy), and not smart enough to think I'll be able to get a third decision right (timing). I also know that when it comes down to it, I'll have a punt on timing as well, so must factor that in as a human error risk.

nerdag
2 years ago

Thought I'd update this thread with my current thinking.

Having taken a bath (on paper) on many of my holdings, I'm trimming low conviction holdings and redeploying into high conviction holdings.

A diversified small cap portfolio makes sense when the rising tide is floating all boats, but in the current market, I'm prepared to take more volatility and risk in a concentrated portfolio. That means some holdings are as high as 15% portfolio value.

Concentration, in my opinion, is where the big money is going to be made in a stock pickers market.

Would welcome others thoughts.

lankypom
2 years ago

I am a long term buy and hold investor, willing to put up with short/medium term volatility for longer term outperformance. For most of the last year my focus has been to keep reminding myself why I own the companies in my portfolio, and in the absence of any change in their long term prospects, do nothing. Whilst I have suffered a 30% fall in portfolio value from the high of August '21, I have no need to liquidate any of my investments to put food on the table, so I'm trying very hard to stay in the mindset of 'this too shall pass'.

I did recently decide to divest from 2 REIT ETFs, which I invested in 2 years ago having bought into the idea that you need some boring , low volatility assets in a well balanced portfolio. They certainly haven't been volatile, in fact they have returned nothing at all over those 2 years.

I have reinvested the proceeds in some of my existing holdings, mostly those in the US:

MSFT

NVDA

ADBE

AMZN

VEEV

Whilst these are all in the currently unloved technology sector, they are also all profitable and have a long track record of revenue and profit growth in the high teens or higher each year.

I also added TEAM to my portfolio. Atlassian has been on my watchlist for years, but has always had a stretched valuation. I could no longer resist the discount being offered by the market.

Closer to home I topped up my holdings in WTC and TNE.

As you can see, I am highly (dangerously?) concentrated in the technology sector, but tech is the driving force of innovation and economic growth, and is also the sector where I have spent my working life. Several of my other holdings (21 in total) may not be considered tech companies, but they wouldn't exist without a tech infrastructure to deliver their product to market, for example WEB, JAN, SEK, NFLX.

So long story short my investment strategy is what it always has been. It has served me well for a decade, and I don't have any reason to believe it won't serve me well in the coming decade.

Chagsy
2 years ago

Perhaps the last decade was unlike any other decade in recent history? I don’t believe there has been as long a period with QE plus ridiculously low interest rates.

this would definitely allow hyper growth companies (software, predominantly) to defer profitability for many years to enable that growth.

Will the same structural advantages exist for the next decade? Or maybe that growth would have occurred without such lax monetary policy?

I don’t know, but worth examining perhaps?

I am certainly questioning whether my previous investing philosophy (same as yours pretty much) is the correct one going forwards. Especially as my glasses seem to be getting stronger every time I go to the optometrist. And I can’t touch my toes anymore.

lankypom
2 years ago

@Chagsy I have no doubt the next decade will be different from the previous one. The pace of change continues to accelerate, enabled by technology.

So I don't mean to imply that buy and hold means set and forget. It means I follow the progress of my companies whenever they report, assess whether the reasons I expect to see enduring growth are still valid, and act accordingly.

For example I sold out of APX when I felt their model of human annotated data for machine learning was broken.

I try to focus on company specifics to guide all my investment decisions. Whilst macro trends are important, how they will pan out is unknowable. And market sentiment is just that, so I do my best to ignore it.

reddogaustin
2 years ago

@lankypom

Good choices I think, M$, amazon and nvidia will be around for many years to come, and still be dominating their respective markets.