Forum Topics Long Service Leave
Summer12
3 years ago

Thank you all the feedback - Much appreciated.

Summer12
3 years ago

Hi all,

I have worked for the government for the past 10 years and I have 10-15 more years before retirement,

I was wondering if anyone had ever cashed in their Long service Leave to Invest? - It seems silly to me that i have access to some funds (penalties and costs involved) yet haven't yet taken the opportunity to explore this more.

When i retire i would cash those days in, pay penalties and costs anyway, so why not do it now and Invest the money and let it compound .

All funds cashed in would be used to buy ETF's

I know myself very well, I know that even in times of volatility i could leave the ETFs alone and not touch them.

I could write a lot more more on this subject, but looking to see if anyone has done this or similar and the outcomes .

As always thanks for any and all responses.

Chagsy
3 years ago

Hi Summer

I am unable to answer your question directly. I have never managed to stay in one spot longer than a few years and so have never managed to accrue any LSL.

The most common technique with extended accrued leave is to not cash it in but at the end of your career use it all in a continuous block.

So, say I want to stop work on Jan 1st 2029 when I am 39 (I wish, on both accounts!) I would put in for leave on that date rather than handing in my resignation papers. I then spin out every day of leave until they have all gone. During the time I am on leave, I am still employed and therefore earning more leave (this will add a few more weeks of employment), being paid and am entitled to other benefits such as sick leave, conference leave, salary sacrifice etc.

I have never seen analysis of whether the opportunity cost from getting the money earlier from cashed in leave would be superior to the above technique, but there are a couple of points to consider:

• the salary your will be earning at the end of your career will be considerably higher than now (higher pay grade, inflation-linked contracts etc)
  • you cannot predict what the markets will do, and the above strategy is guaranteed
  • you might get sick at some point in the future. Government jobs (I cant tell you about your specifically) generally have excellent sick pay and redundancy options.

Summer12
3 years ago

Thank you Chagsy

Your health, sanity, and family are also good investments.

Make sure you consider a holiday! =)

Duffshot38
3 years ago

You only live once and many of us dont live as long as we would like - definitely make the most of some of that leave to get out and see the world