Forum Topics SP3 SP3 Cash Flow Statements Question

Hi Hackenbacker,

Regarding your questions:

SP3

Receipts from customers 1,536,00

Net cash used in operating activities -263,000

Net cash used in investing activities -60,000

Net cash from financing activities 422,000 (Proceeds from borrowings 470,000)

Cash and cash equivalents at beginning of period 919,000

Cash and cash equivalents at end of period 1,018,000

My question is why would SP3 borrow 470,000 to increase cash flow over the quarter? They could have funded the cash deficit at the end of the quarter of 317,000 from the cash they had in the bank at the beginning of the quarter.

RCW

Receipts from customers 3,777,000

staff costs -4,384,000

Government grants and tax incentives 2,699,000

Net cash from / (used in) operating activities 430,000

Is this sustainable? with out the Government grants and tax incentives the total cash burn for the quarter would have been 2,507,000 or 31% of available cash at the beginning of the period.

I'm still pretty new so take this with a grain of salt but here are my 2 cents.

With regards to RCW, not being deeply familiar with the company, no it's not sustainable. Good pickup. I like to remove things like R&D tax incentives as well.

SP3 probably wasn't borrowing to increase cash flow but to increase cash reserves (maybe this is what you meant). They only have 5 quarters of funding left after borrowing the $470,000 anyways so they were probably going to need that money at some stage anyways (unless they're planning on being cash flow positive in the near future - again I'm not deeply familiar with the company). As to why now and not at the end of the quarter, I'm not sure. Maybe some is going towards working capital or they just thought now was a good time?

Noddy74
2 years ago

Hey Hackenbacker,

CanadianAussie's points are absolutely right but I might just add a couple of points. First, you're asking the right questions, although when you get really granular with it you can start to run into problems relating to limitations in the data. With regards to Rightcrowd (because it seems like the easiest) - is it sustainable? I'm looking at the same information as you and coming up with the same conclusion that No, it's not. Revenue was a little higher than receipts ($4.2m vs $3.8m) so there might be some timing difference pushing cashflows down, even so there's a big deficit to make up. If they don't get propped up by further government grants I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cap raise in the next six months.

With regards to Spectur I'd say a couple of things. One is that forecasting cashflow as a company employee is an inexact science. My experience is that if you're the guy that caused the company payroll to bounce because you got the forecast wrong you're going to struggle to win Employee of the Month. As a result they will always tend to err on the side of caution and sacrifice some interest payments (that they potentially don't need) to guarantee liquidity. They may even have internal Treasury rules or bank covenants to say below a certain account balance they will access a line of credit. The other point is that we only have two data points to compare - 30 Sep and 31 Dec (and the movement in between), but cashflow is never linear. So yes they had $1.0m in cash on 31 Dec but they may have tapped out in the middle of Dec or they be aware of a large payment that's due just after the reporting period ended. Just a final suggestion - if you are really curious ask them. My experience is that most organisations are reasonably open and I can't imagine the answer is particularly price sensitive.