Forum Topics Market - Macro

Hi Guys

Another interesting chart imo. alot happening atm. fci is financial conditions. which should tighten as the Fed raises rates and plans to reduce its BS

IMO Mo is a default if you play that game, no real info. the rest shows how styles and sectors historically have behaved in a tightening environment. i read this as full tightening cycle

to me most of this is all as expected but there may be some on SM that are unfamiliar with this stuff,

sourced from the market ear and GS

1ce90b079dec4abf1a2771840d7ce9d9967142.png

Hi All

I thought the below was of interest. sourced from the Daily Shot

My take is the following, on a historic measure much of the damage is already done, even with a recession.

There is a growing chance of a meaningful economic slowdown coming which to me means if you are to stay in the market have a defensive skew, I come to a slowdown through looking at HY spreads and the yield curve slope, let alone Putin induced etc consumer headwinds that may appear-energy food

IMO commodities strength will sow the seeds of their own ultimate fall

e36a515f53c376eea3643859ec155a3eafe90a.png

Strawman
3 years ago

Interesting chart @Solvetheriddle

I think yours is a good take -- on an average basis, assuming we see a recession, most of the damage has already been done. There are always edge cases of course, so this guarantees nothing, but i definitely think it's a useful perspective.

One thing I'm mindful of is that things will likely be worse at the small cap end of the market. In fact, in good times and bad, the moves are exaggerated in this space. The Strawman Index is a sign of that, I think. While we thumped the market during the good times, we've been hit harder than the 'blue chips' during this latest downturn.

In the world of "high beta" small-cap stocks, I see this as a feature, not a bug, and it is what provides the opportunity for outsized returns across the cycle. But it does test you during times of volatility.

Personally, my concern is that while a lot of the companies that I own have seen good progress on the business front, a big part of the historic returns were generated through multiple expansion -- 15 years ago few people would consider a price to sales ratio of 20 as sensible, but (until recently) that became common place. It was never part of the thesis, but you're not going to knock it back! Trouble is, "trees don't grow to the sky", and market multiples have a way of reverting to the mean. Add to that the fact that the market is now a lot more wary of loss making operations, and with rising inflation/rates, those stocks whose cash flows are still a few years out are given less rope.

Hindsight would suggest that cashing out late last year was the best move, but i'll never lose any sleep over that. Having predicted 10 of the last 2 corrections (to paraphrase the old joke), I think i'm best served just staying invested and rolling with the punches.

What's more important is to ensure my current expectations are well grounded. And here, honestly, my view is that more than a few of my stocks aren't likely to get back to previous highs anytime soon. That being said, given the size of some of the falls, i think the value proposition at current prices looks a pretty reasonable -- even if I pull back on some of my previous growth and multiple assumptions. I could entirely imagine further falls in the months ahead, but I'm trying to keep my gaze focused on what these stocks look like in 3-5 years time.

2022 will probably be remembered as a painful year for investors, but hopefully one that also presented some great opportunities. I just hope i choose the right ones!

Rapstar
3 years ago

In terms of macro indicators, VVIX/VIX ratio, High Beta/Low Beta ratio, Small Cap/Mega Cap ratio, Value/Growth ratio in US markets have all turned bearish VAMS. The 4 indicators are a leading indicator of a significant market downturn when all 4 turn bearish. This was triggered this week. I was hoping I had a few more months before it was triggered, but it seems the Ukraine conflict brought forward the trigger.

US Defensive assets are also now leading cyclical assets with respect to hedge fund asset allocation. Another GTFO indicator.

High Beta assets have copped a pounding since November (they are the first to feel tightening liquidity), but the broader ASX 200 is down less than 10% from all time highs. In the US, the Russell 3000 is down less than 20% from all time highs. The Russell 3000 can potentially fall to 50-60% from ATHs in a big correction.

The US Fed has not even started tightening, and with full employment and inflation about 7%, the Fed is not getting any signals to back off. I think It will tighten until we get a March 2020 event, as all the signals are saying they need to kill demand.

Be careful with commodity investments - some prices will remain elevated & some not - depending on demand in a pending recession. Keep close to the exits.

In High Beta assets ? I certainly am - be prepared to take further losses - we may be only halfway through the high-beta bear market. If you hold high beta and can't get out due to liquidity and want a hedge, you could short SPHB (US small cap high beta ETF). There is some currency risk, but if there is a global recession coming (and leading indicators are pointing to this), the USD will likely outperform AUD (as AUD is a 'risk on' currency). Not advice - just an idea I am using........

Apologies for being so bearish - it is the reason why I have been quiet over the past few months - I have little positive to say.

Best of luck out there all..............A rare buying & life changing event is getting closer. Just don't lose your shirt buying the dip right now.