Forum Topics Good Books
Mujo
a month ago

Those interested in resources or history would highly recommend ‘Material World’ by Ed Conway.

Tells the story of iron ore, steel, salt, sand, semiconductors etc - was one of the FT business books 2023 finalists.

Strawman
a month ago

Funny you mention that @Mujo -- saw this recently and thought it looked like as good read.

4f35f5b3137329ab6b952b65926c3c1d304466.png

1b0e29174bbc7f3cf9696bcd4b60231899ae18.png

Mujo
a month ago

Yep, really opened my eyes with some great insights like that one!

Really well researched, and interesting history weaved in like why Germany agreed to give the UK sniper scopes and binoculars in WW1 - their enemy - (UK had a shortage) when they were fighting, we're the saying 'taking the piss' came from.

Had some pretty scare possibilities for the future of iron ore too - if economies ever enter a state whereby there is enough steel in an economy to be circular etc.

Just every chapter has an interesting nugget.

Mujo
4 months ago

Not an investing book but just finished listening to The Fund: Ray Dalio, Bridgewater Associates, and the Unraveling of a Wall Street Legend by Rob Copeland.

A less than flattering review of Ray Dalio and Bridgewater that challenges Principles and his other recent books. Very one sided the other way of course - NY Times writer is the author.

Would recommend but then I like these type of books - a particular story involving pee on the bathroom floor is just one story.

Jpsmith91
4 months ago

Thought I might throw in a couple for the summer reading list.

The first is one I'm about 3/4 of the way through but finding fascinating. Has major tones of buffett, and intriguing takes on evaluating managment, earnings forecasts, and valuation.

d64ee207156d40232897f9796d63dc10cb055e.jpeg

The second I'm assuming might have been already recommended, but is one of my all time favs and probably worth another vote.

4f6b71bd2e423775b3e3ea3fee199aa827d166.jpeg

Strawman
4 months ago

Ooh, hadn't heard of these ones @Jpsmith91. Thanks for the recommendations.

Timocracy
4 months ago

Factualness was a great listen on Audible. I think I played it twice in a row to really let it sink in.

Strawman
7 months ago

All I Want To Know Is Where I'm Going To Die So I'll Never Go There

Buffett and Munger: A Study in Simplicity and Uncommon, Common Sense

by Peter Bevelin

I haven't read this, but loved this tweet which highlighted some great wisdom.

“Buffett and Munger: A Study in Simplicity and Uncommon, Common Sense”

1. Wisdom is prevention.

2. The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works.

3. Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.

4. The difference between successful people and very successful people is that very successful people say 'no' to almost everything.

5. I did not succeed in life by intelligence. I succeeded because I have a long attention span.

6. Have maximum financial flexibility to face both hazards and opportunities.

7. We schedule time to think. Most people schedule themselves like a dentist.

8. History enables you to keep things in perspective.

9. It's an inversion process. Start out with failure, and then engineer its removal.

10. Life tends to snap you at your weakest link.

DrPete
5 months ago

New book "Same as Ever" by Morgan Housel, author of Psychology of Money. Haven't read it yet, but will soon.

24feed1af66853da59cf0d83d4504e514b564a.png

DVV1974
5 months ago

I am in the middle of the book at the moment. If you have been following and reading Morgan’s writing since The Motley Fool days and now at the Collaborative Fund, you’ll find a lot of stuff being rehashed in the book. There are some insights that are new (or maybe I needed to refresh my memory). Anyway, if you have read Morgan’s previous book, The Psychology of Money, you may want to lower your expectations because this book (Same as Ever), for me, does not engage me the same as the first book (The Psychology of Money) where there were many penny dropping moments.