Forum Topics Macro Outlook
Mujo
4 weeks ago

MQG Developed FOMO Meter - looks like a take on the CNN one.

31699c8ed7ac7dca94c8ef693c2aa27f6d2f98.png

47154804cc5165401b83a70c1b9da04a29e91a.png

What is the FOMO Meter?

The FOMO Meter analyses equity sentiment to identify periods of excessive optimism (FOMO) or pessimism (fear of losing). The FOMO Meter has 7 components described later in the report. The latest data for each is:

1. Asset managers are 38.7% net long S&P 500 futures (+15ppt YoY);

2. Active managers have 104.8% equity exposure, nearly double a year ago;

3. Net 46.4% of newsletter advisors are bullish (+32ppt YoY);

4. Net 24% of individual investors are bullish (+51ppt YoY);

5. Individual investors' equity allocation is 67.8% (+3.1ppt YoY);

6. Net 50.2% of S&P 500 stocks are above the 200-day average; and

7. The VIX is below average at 14.3, down from 21.7 a year ago.

Unlike some other sentiment indices that are available, we focus on equity sentiment only, not sentiment in other markets (e.g. gold prices or credit spreads). We also exclude economic indicators, as we prefer to use the OECD leading indicator to track the economic cycle. Lastly, we excluded some well-known indicators (e.g. put/call ratio), as they did not seem to add value in predicting future equity returns

2003c9ccbf30a509b76efa3e514db53a3f5b49.png

Chagsy
2 months ago

Here is a link to the 2024 forecast from FIIG.

The short version is that state and federal government spending is set to increase significantly and tax cuts are coming - so despite the economic cycle

turning towards recession there are lots of stimulatory factors.

For Bond investors they offer the following advice:

L:           Lock in fixed returns. Although the big drop in rates might not come as soon as priced, the underlying story is clear. The turning point has arrived and the next large move in rates will very likely be down and will cause a sharp increase in bond prices. While we can’t be sure precisely when that movement will come, the high yields at present largely make it a moot point. The high yields mean investors are rewarded with significant interest while waiting for a move that should make them money in the medium term.

O:          Obtain Real Yield. With inflation high but dropping, it might seem an unusual time to suggest buying inflation-linked bonds. However, inflation-linked bonds are still bonds – they profit from falling interest rates. They also profit from indexation if inflation proves just a touch stickier than anticipated.

C:           Check your portfolio risk. While FIIG does not expect the coming slowdown to be too bad, it’s also clear that there will be an economic slowdown. To prepare for that it’s best to make sure your portfolio has as much diversity as possible. Check your bond portfolio for concentration risk or excessive exposure to sub-investment grade credits.

K:           Keep your cool as the economy cools. Bonds generally perform relatively well in an economic slowdown as interest rates generally fall. By making sure that you are diversified and invested in bonds with strong links to the ongoing economy (like infrastructure or utilities) your bond portfolio should be able to negotiate the coming slowdown fairly well.

Mujo
3 months ago

I'm surprised I had never come across this before - SIGFeature (csinvesting.org)

Often heard Howard Marks talk about how overvalued the nifty 50 became - maybe not so much if you read the article.

Strawman
3 months ago

e8914acd08422504d2734338422394afc5b22f.png

Shanghai composite index now back at a 5-year low and at the same level it was in late 2014.

The market is not the economy, of course, but a little surprising given the economy has grown at an upper single digit rate (circa 7%pa) over that period (and longer!)

Meanwhile, US debt has hit a record of $34 trillion (at the federal level) -- adding a full $1 trillion in the previous 3 months alone. It needs to find $2 billion per day just to meet interest repayments. Not an easy thing to do when you have a federal deficit of $130 billion.

You have to be careful with the doomerism -- there's not a lot new here, directionally at least. Things can, and probably will, muddle on for a good while yet. But basic maths will tell you the trajectory is unsustainable.

At the same time, US and Aussie markets are essentially at record highs. And the fastest rate tightening cycle in history barely made a dent on investor exuberance. So who knows what will happen!

Investing is hard :)

Karmast
3 months ago

Recently Howard Marks shared that he starts getting more interested when folks say "China is un-investable". I wonder if he is looking hard at it now - is this close to the bottom and the earnings growth of the index eventually take over from the negative sentiment? Or does it still have a lot further to fall?

I have no idea but its a fascinating scenario and I look forward to any musings from Marks or Buffett on it all...

Strawman
3 months ago

Marks may well be right, and perhaps from a bond perspective (his stomping ground) there is a case to be made.

Personally, I wouldn't go near the Chinese market (via an ETF or otherwise), even if the market fell a further 20%. They just don't have the same institutional rigour we take for granted and my strong suspicion that most of the value created gets siphoned off by insiders. There's a lot of historical precedent there

(For the sake of clarity, i'm being critical of the political/business apparatus, not the Chinese people)

I can't think of an ASX listed company that does direct business on the mainland that has done well (other than those that simply export commodities from here). Even things like wine and baby formula have proven to be difficult, to say the least.

Also, no disrespect for the late, great Charlie Munger, but his enthusiasm for Chinese equities seems to be dating poorly. Maybe things turn around, but given the collapse of Evergrande and the significant issues with other major developers and LGA's, not to mention rising geopolitical tensions, I'm just not brave enough.

Of course, my hope is that things get better -- not just for the sake of the Chinese people, but they are also our major trading partner!

RogueTrader
3 months ago

Actually I think the problem IS the Chinese people:

""We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."

This was the chant of an angry mob of more than 2,000 people that had gathered, oddly enough, to protest a strict crackdown on cheating during China's college entrance examination earlier this month in Zhongxiang, Hubei Province.

The reason for the crackdown, as cited in this amusing Malcolm Moore dispatch for the Telegraph, is the ubiquity of cheating in Chinese schools, where examinations are usually the sole determinant of students' academic fate. In such a set-up, denying students the right to cheat, well, cheats them out of a fair shot.

China's education system, which in many ways reflects ancient Confucian principles, places an overwhelming emphasis on memorization, recitation, and examination. Courses in critical thinking largely do not exist and students are not encouraged to engage in rigorous debate in class. The final year of high school is devoted almost entirely to the gaokao, the nationwide college entrance examination which, in Zhongxiang, is what led to the frenzy over the crackdown cheating.

In theory, the gaokao is China's great equalizer: A farmer from rural Sichuan has every bit a chance to succeed as does a politician's son in Beijing, no small accomplishment in a country with such income inequality. But -- abuse over the quota system aside -- the overwhelming emphasis on examinations is blamed for creating graduates who lack creativity and innovation, both skills the Chinese government hope will spur the country's next phase of economic growth.

But in the meantime, the simple fact remains that, in Chinese schools, you'd almost have to be crazy not to cheat on your tests."

https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/06/heres-the-quote-that-sums-up-chinas-huge-problem-of-cheating-in-schools/277108/

Mujo
3 months ago

China is communist country. Trying to apply a capitalist and western framework (protection for debt and equity holders) to is just not going to end well.

They will happily take capital and intellectual property like they did in the 90s/2000s but you're never going to get the return on those investment as a foreigner (late teens/early 20s)

If you're going to invest there, know which way the government policy is going and be on the right side - then read the tea leaves and get out while you can - you can't think long term, as it'll change.

My thoughts anyway.

Solvetheriddle
3 months ago

I read a lot of seeking alpha articles as a feed for international investing, and the consensus on China is that it is incredibly cheap but uninvestable.

my view is that China changed from a risk and performance perspective when Xi got absolute power. the economic technocrats that largely built the modern (and successful) economy were removed and his own people put in. The level of economic management expertise declined. together with an attack on the productive private sector of the economy, eg BABA, which imo was a bullying tactic to show who was in charge, just as Xi did to the CCP, left the country worse off as capital fled (and rightly so) and grwoth stagnated.

we have a political bully in charge with little understanding of economics and it shows. People point to debt, demographics, CCP etc, they have all been there for 15 years, it's the ability to react to those issues that i now see as impaired.

what is needed is a change in policy from the top, which sort of means an admission of errors, even if implied, possible, but Xi needs to save face under this scenario, and dictators have a poor record of positive change, usually, it goes from bad to worse.

i see the value as everyone else does in the market but a change in the approach from the top to incentivise the productive elements of the economy is required to get China back on track imo.

this subject is one of my rants! sorry about that