Forum Topics Product Reviews – The Canary in the Coalmine for Retail
PortfolioPlus
2 years ago

Let’s face it, it doesn’t matter what we investors think about a retail company, the measuring stick is what do the customers think about the products on offer & acquired, as well as their general impression of the service, ambience & pricing structures offered by the retail company.

If it’s good, customers will come back & they will make positive recommendations to their friends & associates. Not only will sales and profits increase for this year, but well into the future as happy customers return again and again to purchase. This concept is called the ‘lifetime value of a customer’. In my opinion, very few retail managers place sufficient emphasis on the power of this multiplier effect.

If the shopping experience is bad, the reverse happens, and not only will disappointed to disgusted customers leave, resulting in a loss of a lifetime value of that customer, they will also spread their disappointment to others. But here’s the rub!

There’s a customer much more dangerous than a dissatisfied customer who complains. It’s the silent, dissatisfied customer who doesn’t express dissatisfaction to the retail company itself but will tell all and sundry about their bad experience. The internet is awash with shocking stats on this matter. I will ignore the shock jocks and settle for a median range as follows:

Only 1 in 25 (4%) of unhappy customers will complain directly to the company.

Yet a dissatisfied customer will tell between 9 – 15 people about their beef.

Extrapolate this out and the sales and profit implications are staggeringly bad – both immediately and into the future.

In this regard, productreview.com.au is an extremely valuable tool to assess what is happening at the coal face. It and the Net Promoter Score (NPS) which measures the likelihood of a customer making a recommendation to family and friends are the canaries in the coalmine.

Let’s look at one particular company to assess how these ‘canaries in the coal mine’ might be a good indicator of what is happening internally within that company but is not known in the investment marketplace.

The company is Adairs (ADH), a company which admitted in the 1HFY22 online presentation that it had supply line, distribution & ‘last-mile’ delivery problems impacting upon customer dissatisfaction levels, and it had a 2H marketing campaign in place to win back customer support. Is it or has it worked?

My assessment of the responses made on productreview.com.au in recent times is that it has not worked, and the problem is as big as it was. Not only are the customers scathing of poor delivery, they also target poor customer service with poor communication, and sloppy delivery instructions. It literally reeks of poor execution and customers are being lost permanently. Its why their product review score is just 2.0 out of 5. Contrast this score with Nick Scali (NCK) the champion of retail on most measurements (growth, return on equity etc) with a 4.5 score. Another favourite of mine is Shaver Shop with a score of 4.1

And do these scores translate somewhat to share price movements?      

bd521afca5c9bee1556148128c2efd0ab41c24.png

Yes, they do!

Ironically, ADH acquired Focus on Furniture in December 2021 and perhaps ADH should take a leaf out of this acquired companies’ customer satisfaction levels where they are highly regarded with a 4.2 rating.

And now to point out a potential investment target where good service reviews haven’t followed the same direction as both NCK and SSG.

ADH online and Mocka (an ADH subsidiary) go head-to-head with Temple & Webster (TPW), an online company with a very wide range of goods pitched at the home improvement marketplace. TPW has a very impressive product review score of 4.1 based on some 6,042 reviews (versus 2.0 for Adairs and 3.6 Mocka, the ADH subsidiary). The TPW customers seem very contented which suggests that whilst they have a much larger range than Adairs/Mocka, they have infinitely better control over supply lines, distribution, deliveries, and customer service. Check the individual reviews of both ADH and TPW and you will see it as a case of chalk and cheese. TPW the very definite winner – but the market doesn’t see it as so. Check the market reaction over the last year.  

0099068a7c1488e517bc29f54eea5512a0850d.png

So, is the relationship between ADH and TPW skewed? I would say yes.

TPW, which is doing all the customer service stuff right has been marked down, though part of this markdown might well be because the share price got ahead of itself, and it has suffered along with the general mark down in growth companies.

Disclosures: I hold ADH in my real portfolios but am sufficiently alarmed at the problem here to pen a letter to the CEO. I don’t hold TPW, but am seriously evaluating its future potential, though the reliance on China for both product and fulfilment is a major stumbling block and who knows the answer to this potential problem.   

Strawman
2 years ago

Thanks @PortfolioPlus

I agree that customer experience is almost everything for a retailer (unless, perhaps, if they operate at the lowest end of the price spectrum where value is the main customer driver).

So it's concerning to see such a low review score. My wife loves them, but I probably need to broaden my sample size!

Fwiw, I did stumble across this site, but i can't voucher for it's accuracy.

https://netpromoterscore.guru/adairs-com-au

Slew
2 years ago

It is worth looking at Brosa for a comparison to TPW.

(Brosa is held by BTI)

I find the model to be more appealing than TPW from a consumer point of view. All sales are completed online but the major cities have a showroom you can visit and see/touch the product. Both times I have been to the showroom it was busy and the staff attentive. 

Interestingly their recent online reviews are on opposing ends of the scale, love v terrible, it sounds like they are also having distribution issues. Overall their score sits at 4.3 on product review.

PortfolioPlus
2 years ago

True Strawman, your wife may well be correct as she is judging ADH via the Linen Lovers club & the physical stores. Though I am sure some of the lustre of this unique club has been dulled by persistent supply line issues and stock outs.

The problem highlighted in product review.com.au largely relates to the online business which is now a material contributor to the ADH story. They are dropping the ball on product availability, order fulfilment and delivery and if their customer service and communication shortfalls are largely representative of that for the full store experience then, Huston, we do have a problem.

Certainly, in this special space (online), their major competitor TPW is blitzing them and likely stretching their lead by the day. The solutions aren’t rocket science and they start with honesty – don’t sell what out don’t have in stock or cannot honour in terms of delivery times, be honest with the customers, communicate frequently with them. Truly a bad experience handled well in the eyes of a customer will make for a stronger customer, even an advocate. I’ve seen it many times in my business life.

ADH could certainly learn by studying how Aussie Broadband is blitzing a marketplace notorious for bad service.  

As to the NPS score, which is a monitor just like productreview.com.au, it measures just one variable – out of 10 how likely are you to recommend ADH to your friends; even then you must be conscious of what the score means. For example, Shaver Shop in Australia which has a very high NPS score, as acknowledged in their presentations, shows a -7 (bad) on the website you displayed. Why? Because being an American site they are largely reflecting the degree of satisfaction with Shaver Shop in the USA which has nothing to do with Australia.

Bottom line: My beef is with ADH management. They know about the issue, but their strategy to address it has been a failure (apparently) and hate to say it, but I suspect this will show up in 2HFY22 results.

Strawman
2 years ago

hi @mbry9625 -- I forget the exact rules, but generally speaking only companies that have yet to turn a profit or achieve positive operating cash flow must submit a quarterly cash flow report (Appendix 4C)

I believe mineral and gas explorers also have this requirement.

If you can be bothered, the exact rules are here, but because Adairs is profitable, and has been for a while, they don't need to issue a 4C report.

good work @PortfolioPlus i would add with cyclicals like retailers at least be aware of where we are in the cycle and how that aligns with valuations, may swamp consumer happiness, at least in the short/medium term. i find the retailers particularly tricky atm.

thunderhead
2 years ago

I share all the concerns highlighted in your excellent posts @PortfolioPlus . It just goes to show that just because it is easy to open a storefront online, doesn't mean you can do online commerce well. Like most other spheres, there are competitively advantaged companies that just do it better for various reasons. The barriers to entry and network effects may well be higher than is commonly perceived.