Forum Topics Share Price Manipulation
Wini
2 years ago

I remember that first RFT pump years ago. As a shareholder of a stock that previously did a few $k shares a day, it was quite something to do several hundred $k turnover for a few days and the price to more than triple.

Unfortunately I was too naive at the time to recognise a P&D so I didn't sell anywhere near as many shares as I should have.

Impressively, RFT is now back at those pump price highs, so slow and steady can win the race. A P&D is much more fun though!

Noddy74
2 years ago

This AFR article is well worth a read. It hits all the high notes managing to get 'pump and dump', 'dummy bids', 'HotCopper' and 'share manipulation' into the one article. Rectifier, AVZ Minerals and BlueChiip were just a few of the stocks targeted. I love how it describes HotCopper as "a website for traders notorious for inflammatory commentary". The alleged offences are pretty old but nevertheless still relevant.

I'll be very curious to see, probably many years down the road, what companies and people come out of the Covid investing hype and subsequent P&Ds. I have a few I wouldn't be surprised to see. The young man referred to towards the end of the article is a polarising figure on Twitter. He was caught, among other things, trying to sell his "investment research" for $500 to retail investors.

shadow
2 years ago

Definitely a huge contrast to the wonderful community at Strawman where polite discourse and debate occurs. I've genuinely learnt so much from the community here. No doubt with the covid induced popularity of r/ASX_bets we'll see more of these stories coming.