Forum Topics Free range capital?
PabloEskyBruh
2 years ago

I’ve found a solution of sorts that I’m happy with. Some Vanguard Australia Shares Index ETF (VAS - or effectively our benchmark) and some approximately equal cash. The plan is for it to operate as both diversification and a de facto hedge. It’s going to dampen my daily and weekly movements and also serve to remind me, and allow me, to keep looking for new opportunities.

Just something to be aware of for anyone in a similar position and pondering a similar approach to capital allocation: you will have to think of it as a bit like getting a haircut - you can cut more but you can’t uncut it. It can only grow back slowly. This is due to current (or at least, as far as I am aware still current) Strawman rules restricting buys into a position after the 20% mark. It makes it a bit of a one way lever to a point, which is also another reason to take it slowly and think about further sell-downs carefully.

Typically I didn’t think to take a before shot (other than my somewhat intense and contemplative selfie of course), but this is how things stand now:

d58a31364894e7123eaf199e47c23187433c6d.jpeg

The overweight position had breached that 70% mark which, it turns out, is my threshold for action. Perhaps I wouldn’t have ridden Amazon shares from 20 cents to US $160 after all…As our Dear Leader, Lord Strawman, commands: “Know Thyself”.

PabloEskyBruh
2 years ago

Strawfolk, I am mainlining some volatility atm. I’ve let my solitary winner go for a nice run and am seriously considering paring it back, locking in some gains, and just hugging the index for a bit. To do so would also be slightly more reflective of my IRL portfolio too. Thing is but, a big part of me just wants to see this baby keep flying Icarus-style. Nor have I lost any conviction in this company - quite the opposite in fact. This for me also enters some meta-cognitive bias territory: just because it is the most exciting way of doing things doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not also the most rationally efficient way to allocate capital in the short-term to achieve out-performance. How many thoughts can you have in your head about something and have it still make sense? Which one wins for you? Where do you drive to once you’ve backed up that truck? Cuba? You’d need a boat, of course, but you get my drift. I’m interested in your thoughts on this dilemma and any tips for riding a lack-of-diversification-wave…

37d9380099c14dc9d76239341950ff8e0a8b62.jpeg