Forum Topics Charting Software
SaberX
one year ago

Hi all! Sorry i missed the responses.... i'll try and get back to responding in earnest after the Christmas festivities.

On the fundamental side, has anyone used Stock Doctor? I've seen it since my much younger days, but it was always 'pricey' - compared to other options. I do tune in to the QAV podcasters who also have a discount on the stock doctor till Christmas, - pretty much a 1 yr + 3 bonus monhths for $1,587.

It's still 'expensive' for those used to paying much less for software access, but i guess in the grand scheme of what we're doing not so much. Compared to reading annual and half year reports - has anyone found Stock doctor or other competitor products much worth the time saved by having everything all in one spot already for you?

Does raise the question though - that you have to have faith that the numbers and metrics reported in any third party service is correct. But provided you do.... keen to hear if anyone found stock doctor worth the cost? Before pushing the button this christmas? I could peruse it for the QAV podcast methods, but also for Strawman and normal Fundamental analysis, but if there's something just as efficient with aggregating fundamental data that's comparatively more affordable i'm happy to hear it?

Will check out the tikr recommendations to see how much it is.

edgescape
one year ago

Tikr sometimes does not have the correct ownership data just FYI or they sometimes get it wrong.

I'm also using Factset a bit more now. Quite a lot of data to digest and shows which funds are buying and selling stock which is pretty useful. I only have the basic account. For premium you get to download the broker reports as well.

For technicals I tend to use either barchart or tradingview. The TA opinions vary wildly between the two.

Arena42
one year ago

For technical analysis, I use Optuma. For fundamental stuff, I use full-year reports and half-year reports. But if I want to scan over a stock, I use simply wall street not always 100% accurate, I might add.

SaberX
one year ago

Hi brains trust, just curious for those that combine and utilise charting software for pricing and other uses, what do you use?

I have had IC investor for years, arguably more because of the sunk cost of the software when I originally purchased it upfront. Having paid the monthly data feed for yonks ($40/month) and being complacent, I recently got a bit fed up of the lack of support (changing credit card, took forever, phone tag, etc. etc)and figured surely there's better priced if not better featured software.

Would be keen to hear what people use, the cost etc. I did try incredible charts once, whch was well cost effective, but admittedly a lot less 'polished' looking (albeit same job) on the hood as IC investor. I guess i am a bit of a sucker for a nice graph/interfaces....

Thanks in advance for any input!

SaberX
one year ago

Looks like no takers?

On another note I was planning t o see what fundamental data software people use (or sources), maybe that will have better response here. Mainly as I saw an unrelated stock doctor pitch as part of a christmas discount offer....

BoredSaint
one year ago

I do use TradingView for some charting needs although I am definitely not a technicals kind of person. I think I paid upfront for a year's subscription.

I mainly use it to see PE ranges although some of the earnings data isn't always 100% accurate.

Mujo
one year ago

For fundamental i would recommend Tikr, i’ve tried a few and it’s the best i’ve tried.

mikebrisy
one year ago

I use marketscreener.com. To be honest I haven't investigated others in depth, but it serves me quite well.

I mainly use it for fundamentals data and trends, as well as broker consensus, including trends over time.

Given @Mujo's recc. on TIKR, I've had a quick look at TIKR and its interface looks better. Will try the 14-day trial before my next marketscreener.com annual sub is up. (which was about AUD475 p.a. at last renewal.)

IanF
one year ago

Hi SaberX,

I use TradingView for looking at price data and technical analysis. Have used Metastock and Amibroker in the past.

It has heaps of built in features and it's own language so you can write your own scanners and indicators. Having a programmer background I have dabbled in it a bit and it seems pretty powerful.

IanF
one year ago

Hi Saberx,

Just saw the second question.

I mainly use Tikr for fundamental data, and screening. It has a nice feature that you can copy the results to the clipboard which I import into a database for further analysis and comparison with price data. The biggest limitation I have found for ASX listed shares is that the global screener only works on the primary exchange do companies like A2M whose primary exchange is nz don't get included.

I posted a similar question a few months ago at https://strawman.com/forums/topic/6407 which covers a few other alternatives.

SaberX
one year ago

Hi @Mujo Have you tried stock doctor in comparison? I have heard of tikr on podcasts... Does it aggregate and summarise financial info also?

How much is it for accessing it annually?

SaberX
one year ago

@mikebrisy keen to hear how you find the shift to tikr. Haven't used either that or market screener. But keen to hear as I presume tikr and market screeners cost is far below stock doctors 1895 annual price (before any promo discount)

Mujo
one year ago

Hi @SaberX, Tikr is a lot cheaper i pay around US $200pa as i was in on the initial promo, but think it’s about US$270 or something now so a lot cheaper.

Stockdoctor is just asx i believe but you do get their recommendations ‘star’ stocks. They’re screens are also tailored for the asx like gross dividend yield, constituent of the asx 200 etc. Tikr has none of this. So i think stockdoctor has a slight edge on running a screen if that’s what you do.

Tikr does have consolidated financials for the asx, US and a few other exchanges so covers a lot more. It also has access to transcripts for a lot of earnings calls and give you ownership breakdown etc. They also give you the analyst consensus forecast for the next 5 years on the pro package (uses S&P Cap IQ data). It has a screener that you can use but not quite as great. It does give you past ratio ranges and you can plot it on a chart - and even revenue and profit etc. You can even compare like the price to book of anz to cba over time etc. It gives you a range of ratios on top of the financials as well as consensus price targets as well as the minimum, median and maximum for analyst covering. You can also export most things to excel.

They all differ in cost so it depends what you use, i could name other services too but i haven’t tried them all.

I could go on but perhaps ask for a free trial?

edgescape
one year ago

Thought I'd revisit this as I was looking at XRF 2 days ago when it dropped to 96c. At that point Tradingview said it was a hold

Now it is a Strong Buy. Pretty bipolar and reactive.

I'm finding looking at traded volume as the price levels maybe a better indicator for clues - this happened for XRF around the 96-98 area. But that's only my opinion.

Still learning this, very difficult if you ask me.

b4c5926ed43c96ec1ebb5345a43c21d3eda9af.png

edgescape
one year ago

Tradingview Elders.

Again trying to ignore the signals and focus on volume. Still feels like a lot of selling here IMHO. Not sure when it will stop. Looking elsewhere. Maybe others think differently

For those who thought basic Food/Ag stocks were recession proof - think again...

I saw a few articles which talked about people cutting back on spending and that included switching to cheaper food items such as canned foods and skimping on meals

Probably not good for Elders or any other consumer staple stock.

Maybe some director buying will help?

d6edd1b98d1446dfbad473634e12a68a5e9e20.png

bc1c131e27d8f806efd2585a45992dc93a1373.png

[held]