Forum Topics Potential ASX takeover targets
mikebrisy
2 years ago

Just listening now to @Strawman ’s question earlier today to Jason at $EVS. If SGS see $EVS getting real traction with clients I’d have thought they’d buy it in a heartbeat. SGS has the customer relationships and through the partnership with EVS they have front row insight into both customer value and the product economics.

So add $EVS to the list.

Hi All

not wanting to be a damp squib, but picking takeover targets is quite difficult. the obvious ones dont happen while the opposite does. of course its all obvious in hindsight. if you play thsi game make sure you are happy with the plan B, ie you are stuck in the stock. just ask the Z1P holders.......they are still waiting -90%

ArrowTrades
2 years ago

More ASX takeovers - MSL today, PTG, NTO and a few others recently.

I expect we will see some more in the current environment, please throw any ideas for ASX names you think fit the bill for a bid on this thread.

I think the factors below would strengthen the case.

1. Beaten down SP
  2. Low liquidity
  3. Attractive to a global player (weak Aussie dollar)
  4. Cash flow+

Rocket6
2 years ago

@ArrowTrades, great thread. This has been on my mind of late also. A few ideas to start:

- Xref, market leading product and ticks the main points you allude to. I think there are some other factors too -- scalable and lots of opportunity ahead of them in various markets. I think they are attractively priced at present.

- 8common, perhaps not as attractive as Xref due to scaling issues and lack of profitability, but they are well embedded in sticky government and have valuable IP that is clearly sought after.

MSL, similar to the above, have accumulated an impressive customer base. But their financials more similar to Xref than 8common.

Tyro is obviously experiencing takeover interest, and while the main opportunity here might have been missed, I think there are some key lessons to learn to assist in trying to identify tech stocks that have been whacked. I think the main benefits for Tyro are market share capture and a general liking for their product. Yes there are lots of competitors but Tyro has steadily grown transaction volumes for years now. Customers aren't leaving them in droves, even after they raised prices. This suggests some level of pricing power and general satisfaction with their service. You would think it would be easy enough take some of the fat (costs) from them, embed them in an established business, and make it profitable. The banking licence might also be an easy win for someone outside the big 4. I think 8common present a similar case study here.

Who else?

Noddy74
2 years ago

You might want to also consider companies that have had interest in the past.

Smartpay (SMP) comes to mind. They were previously going to sell their NZ business to Verifone for NZ$80 million. Maybe a similar deal could be in the offing, or maybe with a couple of extra years of execution the whole business would be seen as attractive.

Another that fits the bill is Smart Parking (SPZ), who are generally very cash generative. Their board rejected an offer at 28 cents in 2019. I would note that at the time it represented a 150% premium and roll forward to today and they're now trading around that level, so maybe the lack of compliance by the board and likely premium PE would have to pay would scare some off.

I'd agree with XRef (XF1) and 8common (8CO) though unfortunately. Maybe a Kynatico (KYP), was CVCheck (CV1), too?

Apart from PE it could also be an opportunity for further consolidation in the Telco space. Companies like Vonex (VN8), Symbio (SYM) and Spirit Tech (SP1) come to mind.

[Holding SPZ, XF1 and VN8]

Hands
2 years ago

Don't forget some of the big ones of the last 12mths:

• Ramsay Health Care (RHC)
  • Altium (ALU)
  • Oz Minerals (OZL) - in progress round 2
  • Perpetual (PPT) - in progress
  • AGL Energy
  • Origin - in progress

Anybody bidding for Magellan?

edgescape
2 years ago

Well it looks like OZL has received another request from BHP

I'm guessing that is why CNB is down despite the drill results today?

If OZL gets taken out, wondering what would happen with all their equity investments including CNB?

edgescape
2 years ago

On another note CMM (Capricorn metals) was also subject of takeover with RRL.

I put my hand up for buying CMM at around $1.30 after the recapitalisation hoping RRL or someone could come back and take them out.

However I doubt it will happen this time. So now it could be a long hold for me now it is in the ASX200.

FYI: $1.30 coincidentally is the same price I bought Northern Star. Must be a good luck price on buying goldies for me - not a recommendation of course!