Forum Topics MTO MTO Value and Growth Opportunity?

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

I've mentioned MTO previously as a value play with a dividend yield of ~12.5%. What I'm not understanding is why this company is trading on a PE of less than ~4.

In their 1st half they did note there had been a softening in demand for both new and secondhand motor cycles however recent acquisitions have diversified earnings with the plan to target other acquisitions that further diversify earnings to help insulate the business during volatile times.

There's been little to no other news out from the company of late apart from a director purchase of 750,000 shares at $1.53ea totalling $1,147,500.

Although MTO's growth my slow short term imo it will bounce back and as such at current prices I'm adding more into my RL p/f.

NewbieHK
11 months ago

Hi @Jimmy as you no doubt are aware Retail is on the nose and the present trailing PE values can at this stage not really be used to gauge what the real valuation will be in 3,6,9 or even 12m.

This last fortnight has seen significant re-pricing of some of the major listed retailers take place with more than likely even further downside to come.

For me the major questions are 1) does the business have a sound future 3,5,10yrs or has it been disrupted?; 2) if it’s yes then do I sit and wait for a long term entry or jump in now when there is no clarity on just what is happening or going to happen?

I don’t think retail at this stage fits under the heading I need to top up or jump back in today because I will miss the turn around.

We can look to the macro environment to get a better understanding of the general direction in retail land and, especially discretionary retail.

Personally, I see opportunity for significant gains, however, I am happy to watch at this stage and look for a better entry opportunities.

note: Previous holder…on my retail watch list at the moment.