Forum Topics PLT PLT Bull Case

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

So I think this business is outside of my circle of competence given that I have a rudimentary understanding of financial services businesses.

I heard the founders on a podcast (equity mates) years ago and was impressed from a qualitative perspective with their approach to leadership and their humble take.

Im now looking at their top line growth and their growth in NPAT and they appear to be on a PE of ~20 with hockey stick growth.

I know I’m missing something and I’d like strawpeope to tell me what it is…

Rick
11 months ago

@GazD those metrics look impressive. This is outside my wheelhouse…but I’m curious to understand how Cash NPAT differs from Statutory NPAT or Underlying NPAT.

I looked it up. Latitude Group defined it as “Cash NPAT is a non-IFRS performance measure used by the Group and the investment community to benchmark underlying performance. It is calculated by adjusting statutory profit for certain non-business -as-usual items such as amortisation of acquisition intangibles, amortisation of legacy transaction costs and other items associated with the acquisition, disposal and closure of businesses.”

So I guess you need to take a good look at the financials to see what has been taken out or what has been added in.

The analysts are forecasting a loss of $13.6 million this year before returning to profit in 2024. They expect to see good free cash flows this year before returning to outflows in 2024. The free cash flows look quite lumpy.

89091ae88c431b79b621f9999ccf74a7fb0df1.jpeg

There’s also the debt. The revenue has been growing but their debt is growing also, increasing from 2810% of equity to 4070% of equity over 5 years. This type of business basically resells debt at a net margin (hopefully positive), so you would expect to see debt rise as revenues rise. At the 11th March 2023, their net profit margin was -11.5% according to data on Simply Wall Street. That’s a worry as it appears on the surface to be losing money on the money it borrows.

eb4e3d28a891cebbf3d3000e8271344716d5d4.jpeg

I guess you really need to understand the business and how it makes a profit, or intends to make a profit. They engage in fintech lending which sounds fairly risky at the moment. It probably depends on how many of the fintechs they are lending to are making a profit, or how many of these have positive free cash flows to service their debt.

I might have this completely wrong because I don’t really understand enough about the business.

I’m not trying to be negative on the stock, just highlighting some things to look out for.

Cheers,

Rick

edgescape
11 months ago

Best way is to use the platform. For some reason the amount of borrowers has been low. It was about 5% last week and has been dropping

I had one borrower pay back the principal within a week. Very short term borrowing right there and there wouldn't be much margin earned from that transaction. But I have another borrower who hasn't paid back although it has been about a couple of weeks so far.

Hard to work out what is going on and why the borrowers aren't doing much. But I have a few theories including that borrower sentiment is low due to current conditions of high inflation.

I only put a very small amount in as I'm also a skeptic. I might try tracking the market depth a bit more when I have a chance.

ff6e7ee1a0a183d0cca1964862e8761f638985.png

reddogaustin
11 months ago

@edgescape

I've observed this behaviour in my plenti investor account also. Loans being paid back early. I've dug into the detail, but have wondering if I am earning interest payments on the loan amount...