Forum Topics PME PME Cracking Result!

Pinned straw:

Added 10 months ago

Happy New Year,

If you had bought 250,000 PME on 4/7/2013 you would have lost $92,500.00 today -0.57%.

In the last 12 months & 10 days it's only gone up a measly 78.13%

RodRocket
10 months ago

OMG it's now -0.67%

Bear77
10 months ago

@RodRocket - What was the PME price on 4/7/2013? About 40 cents? So, if we had made a $10K "investment" in what would likely be termed a speculative biotech ten years ago, and their SP just kept rising from there, so maybe not so speculative in hindsight... and 10 years later, that $10K investment was worth over $6.5 million, I would suggest it would have taken a will of steel not to have trimmed that position once, twice, thrice... and still have all of those shares intact after 10 years. And to have ignored those pullbacks. Actually, that bit (the pullbacks) I can handle, but I would have adjusted the position size on multiple occasions during the journey, to my own detriment obviously...

867aaa19f6633981272ae6470bb16a1349575d.png

Note: PME closed at $64.90 this arvo, as suggested on the right of that chart, not at $64.88, as suggested at the top of that screenshot, but what's 2 cents between friends?

I must have taken the screenshot during the CSPA (closing single price auction).

Disclosure: I have held PME at various times, and they're in my Strawman.com virtual portfolio here, but I did NOT buy them in 2013, unfortunately... Not currently holding IRL.

What a wealth winner this company has been!!

thunderhead
10 months ago

I have passed on PME multiple (pun intended) times, starting with when it was in the low $1 range. What a costly sin of omission!

I completely agree with what @Bear77 has eludicated in his comment though - it is easy to romanticise these mega-winners looking backwards, but boy, it would have been bloody hard to hold them all along the journey, both to stop yourself from taking profits, and to prevent further drawdowns of your profits when they experience their inevitably sizable and gut-wrenching drops - the most famous example of this is Amazon going from $100 to $3 odd-during the dotcom boom/bust.

Besides, I am not sure how many among us are risk tolerant enough to be comfortable with such outsized positions - prudent portfolio management necessitates that you take atleast some chips off the table, though obviously it was always the wrong thing to do in hindsight in cases like this :)