Forum Topics Tax Loss Selling
Rudyboy
one year ago

Not disagreeing with anyone here but my view is don't buy something that has taken a beating because its not in favour, buy something that is oversold at tax time where the likelihood of a bounce back in the next month or two is strong.

Sometimes the market just hates a company, QHL which I ran until 2008 is a prime example and glad I sold out a long time ago. These look cheap at tax time but may not have any interest to run them up later.

My tax time CUF punt is up $2,669 which is mainly due to the fact I probably go with bigger investments but if you know the stock and believe in it, why wouldn't you invest. Up 26.8% and more to come I hope. Will pay for a flight to Thailand, a hotel, some golf and a few beers.

Rudyboy
one year ago

Maybe someone can confirm, I know that is right for a property for example, but I was told settlement dater shares is the date noted. Happy to be proven wrong.

Solvetheriddle
one year ago

My understanding MPanda is correct

mushroompanda
one year ago

f7fec5cd75c2864b77491ffff327c795f9b51c.png

Source: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Capital-gains-tax/CGT-events/

Sharesight can sense check this. It doesn't even record the settlement date.

Rudyboy
one year ago

Today is your last day to sell as the plus two takes you to 30 June.

mushroompanda
one year ago

I don't think this is right.

CGT events are based on the trade date, not the settlement date.

69c5fd19a4eda6b63495f582aa9fbd892d4ef7.png

Rudyboy
one year ago

There is no doubt the tax loss sell arbitrage is real, but if you want to find some gems look beyond the ASX 200, in fact if you throw a dart at the paper this year, you will probably hit a likely target. But note, many will have done the deed by now and often an intraday tank is the one you can make the easiest money.

Don't expect a sugar hit on the 3rd July, but give it a week or two there could be an easy 5 or 10% on a well thought out buy.

Personally, my watch list always has some gems on it and when the big red number comes up from early June to mid June then if you know the stock, I think the risk is small.

Bought CUF at 1.1c on 19th and 21st June.....was winking at me. So far only up 20%, could be a bit more yet.

CDA had a day where it headed to $7, was definitely 5% in that and it's a more robust stock. On CDA, have to wonder what impact the fall-out from Wagner could have as they have been a thorn in CDA sales in Africa for some time.