Forum Topics MIN MIN JL on the MinRes Board

Pinned straw:

Last edited 9 months ago

19-July-2023: I hold MIN shares in my SMSF, however I haven't been following them very closely for the past 18 months or so, and I recently (on Monday) added MIN shares back into my largest RL portfolio as well, which is more actively managed than my SMSF is - meaning I often leave my SMSF alone for months, and that happens less with my other larger portfolio. Anyway, I was going through their announcement list this evening and I came across this: Change-of-Director's-Interest-Notice---Justin-Langer.PDF [13-April-2023]

Not THE Justin Langer, surely?! Not J.L. ?! But, a quick google search revealed that yes, Justin Langer AM, former Australian Mens Cricket Team Coach, and legendary Test Match opening Batsman for Australia for many years - alongside Matthew Hayden AM - was indeed now on the MinRes Board - see here: https://www.mineralresources.com.au/news-media/justin-langer-joins-minres-board-as-non-executive-director/ [15-December-2022]

e278bc3be344a689e6586e547b7992d7a93a40.png

MinRes’ Chairman James McClements said Justin’s appointment demonstrated the high premium the Board places on diversity of experience.

“As MinRes continues to grow, we believe bringing in a breadth of expertise and knowledge is key to our success,” McClements said.

“Justin’s outstanding leadership experience will further enhance our focus on people and culture, which is critical as we continue to expand our workforce to execute on our significant growth strategy.

Together with the recent announcement of Colleen Hayward as Non-Executive Director, the Board is now well-equipped to address the opportunities that lay ahead for our business.”

Justin said he was inspired by Chris Ellison and the Board’s vision for the future of MinRes and their commitment to the people who have helped make the business the success it is today.

“As a proud Western Australian, I understand the vital contribution of the resources industry and I’m excited to join such an outstanding WA success story.

“I look forward to making a meaningful contribution and bringing my leadership and people and culture experience to the Board from the new year.”

[mid-December-2022]

I remember when Australian wicket-keeper/batsman Adam Gilchrist (who is also from WA) was a director of TFS, a Perth-based sandalwood supplier. That story didn't end well. See here: Adam Gilchrist scores post as TFS director (smh.com.au)

and here: TFS Corp: the big short you can't short (afr.com)

TFS became Quintis and then collapsed: Quintis collapse: investors left with thousands of worthless shares after company calls in administrators | The West Australian

I don't think that's going to happen to MinRes however. MinRes is in an entirely different league than TFS was.

I don't know how I missed this bit of news over the past 7 months, but I did. Not bothered by it either way. Just thought it was interesting is all.

PortfolioPlus
9 months ago

The major business lesson to emerge from TFS/Quintis was that one must always ensure a very strong correlation between cash from operations and the reported NPAT adjusted for non cash items. TFS looked super good if you just studied the P&L statement because it was pumped up like a turkey on thanksgiving day via revaluations to the growing value of the sandalwood plantation. Timbercorp was another company with a similar story, just ask Steve Johnson of Forager. This lesson cost me too. CASH is still King and long live Show Me The Money!