Forum Topics Profits vs Service
Summer12
11 months ago

Let me start by stating that i am not a fan of fast food companies, and after my recent experience, Maccas you are definitely bottom of my list.

After a long day at work i go the local petrol station and do the necessary checks on the car for my wife's upcoming trip to our daughter place in regional Victoria, Tyre pressure, water, fuel and run it through the car wash etc.

Then comes the topic of what to eat that evening, it's a public holiday and not much is open, so my youngest daughter asks me to bring home a Maccas family box, i go through the drive-thru (we all know the drill).

I get to the counter to receive one large brown bag containing the food, then the very young girl starts to pass 4 medium drinks one a time, i asked for a cup holder to which she replied " we don't do them" have you run out??

we don't do them!!! I was polite and asked her how am i supposed to get the drinks home (14km country roads) she shrugged her shoulders, i asked again if she know how i could get the drinks home without spilling them? this time just a vacant look and no expression.

I certainly don't blame the young lady at the window, probably her first job and i support this.

One of the drinks was a vanilla shake (treating myself, after a long day at work) but this drink had been made so far in advance that when i took a slurp, i didn't get the thick shake from childhood memories, what i got was semi chilled undrinkable milk slush.....

On top of this Maccas had the cheek to charge me a 10% public holiday tax.

Now i understand for one that my crappy little order does next to nothing on Maccas revenue stream, but what about a little professional service delivery Macca's

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrylight/2020/02/10/mcdonalds-declining-customer-traffic-is-a-death-march-to-the-future/?sh=458921591c09

i got the drinks home without spilling them, Not my best driving...

Is it me? or are profits being put before service?

Currently waving my fist in anger!!

c61ff5e50118d309b82dec7d75adcd09fbbd0b.png

occy
11 months ago

Interesting read. Personally I'm not a huge fan of fast food chains either but when I do it is pretty much exclusively Maccas these days (thanks to their coffee and their app with its reward points they have really suckered me in). Maybe you were unlucky or it was just a badly managed store but I generally find their customer service to be quite decent.

thunderhead
11 months ago

My experience at a Maccas in Morriset en-route to Newcastle over the long weekend was the opposite, and in stark contrast to the generally average standards I have been subject to. The food was fresh, prepared well, and handed over in good time.

CanadianAussie
11 months ago

Sorry to hear about your experience @Summer12

I'm on the road for work and frequent many different Maccas across SE QLD and as a whole I've been very impressed with the quality of coffee, the occasional food purchase and overall service. The one complaint I would have is it's fairly pricey for fast food but maybe that's me anchoring to the cheaper costs I was used to growing up in Canada.

Hackofalltrades
11 months ago

Maccas costs are substantially more than they used to be.

I remember when I was younger Maccas was cheap, but KFC a bit pricey.

Now (providing you get one of the good app offers - ie., cheap as chips), I tend to find KFC quite reasonably priced, but Maccas extremely expensive for what it is.

I just don't get why I'd go to maccas and pay $15 for a meal, when I can go to a takeaway store and get an excellent burger and chips (convenience is the reason I guess).

That's odd with the shakes. I still like them and haven't had one that tasted substantially different unless it seemed to have double the syrup in it or something.

thunderhead
11 months ago

This I can totally agree with, but it's a sign of the times in general. Very hard to find value in this environment, in anything.

PortfolioPlus
11 months ago

This is pretty well a story about any business. Service costs, but politeness doesn’t.

There is always a balance - you cannot offer a Rolls Royce service on a Holden product. - equally that old chestnut:

customer, you can have any two of these words but not the third

GOOD - FAST - CHEAP

Where a real conflict becomes obvious is when the duty to the client assumes a greater prominence at law than does profit, or the future of the business.

Take Shine Justice ($SHJ) which has been handed its bum on a plate by the courts in the female implant case. The duty to the client was more important than duty to company and its shareholders. Simply put, the company was in error in borrowing money and paying interest (admittedly at a rate that would please Al Capone) and claiming this as a cost of running the case, whilst shovelling free cash to shareholders as dividends.