Forum Topics STK STK History

Pinned straw:

Added 6 months ago

Going back in time to find out why NST bought Millrose

Pre STK 2021

MRE 300K Oz

f9dd168a083abcca9207687e9fc39d059f68d7.png

Post STK 2022 (November 2022 Presentation)

MRE to be updated 2023

5592140f65e21c4057e20682d600e33b5cc81a.png

Post STK 2023 (Jan 2023 Presentation)

9be7360338aae2ec7bcd9b602c8172de9bde7e.png

New west corridor

8bd5f0271e9ad034573c6d9666bf0c88d8da73.png

In summary this was a fairly big system and was going to be much larger than the 300K Oz MRE when it was purchased by Northern Star (NST) in 2021. NST knew this and saw the potential

[held]

Bear77
6 months ago

Agreed @edgescape that NST saw the potential, and another factor that helped was that Millrose is only 40 km east of Northern Star's Jundee gold mine and gold mill, so the Millrose ore can be processed by NST at Jundee:

d7280251a7ef6faf09335075accd88336abb7b.png

Source: Yandal East Project / Projects / Strickland Metals Limited [current, on STK's website]

See also: https://www.businessnews.com.au/article/Strickland-to-sink-10000m-of-drilling-into-Yandal-gold-belt [19-Aug-2021]

bca1e5de205913d1a1e34e57410ac5f19d7b47.png

See also: https://resourcesreview.com.au/projects/northern-star-enters-deal-on-millrose-gold-project/ [26-June-2023]

Northern Star enters deal on Millrose gold project

e4dc5d5c2bf3fae13b9f8e69554df3fd5dc677.png

Northern Star Resources Limited has entered into agreements to purchase the Millrose gold project from Strickland Metals Ltd.

The total consideration payable by Northern Star under the agreements is $67 million including 1.5 million fully paid ordinary Northern Star shares to be issued to Strickland at completion (subject to 12 months’ escrow).

The Millrose project has a published Mineral Resource of 346,000 ounces of gold at a grade of 1.80 grams per tonne and offers significant geological upside, both laterally and at depth.

Located 40 kilometres east of Northern Star’s Jundee operations, Millrose is anticipated to be a supplementary feed source for the Jundee mill in the medium term, complementing Jundee’s underground base load. Jundee is a key asset in Northern Star’s Yandal Production Centre.

“The acquisition of the Millrose gold project presents a very compelling development opportunity that is accretive to the Jundee life-of-asset plan as it should deliver us a sizeable low-cost, high-grade supplementary resource feed,” Northern Star managing director Stuart Tonkin said.

“This bolt-on acquisition, which also comes with significant brownfields exploration upside, will provide us with further confidence to plan organic and profitable growth for Jundee, which already is the lowest cost asset in our tier-1 portfolio.”

Northern Star has also entered into a long-term power supply agreement with Zenith Energy for supply of electricity to Jundee, incorporating 40MW of wind and solar generation.

Jundee will have wind, solar and battery installed and integrated into the existing gas power station network. The renewable generation being added includes 24MW of wind, 16.9MWp of solar and 12MW / 13.4MWh of battery energy storage. This will provide 56 per cent of the mine site’s power based on current modelling.

Northern Star has committed to reducing its carbon footprint by 35 per cent by 2030. The Jundee operation was identified as the next one in Northern Star’s asset portfolio to target material reductions in carbon emissions following the successful introduction of solar at Carosue Dam.

The planned reduction of 32,500 tonnes of CO2-eq by FY24 was improved 60 per cent to an estimated 52,000 tonnes reduction of CO2-eq per annum, with solar to be commissioned in late 2023 and the wind commissioning scheduled for mid to late 2024.

--- ends ---

Note: That article mentions a $67m sale price for Millrose, which would have been based on the announcement by NST which gives that figure:

NST-adds-ounces-and-commits-to-renewable-energy-at-Jundee.PDF [26-June-2023]

However the announcements by Strickland (below) both mention a $61m sale price which was comprised of $41m in cash (a $2m deposit on the first announcement, and another $39m on completion of the sale) plus 1.5 million NST shares worth $20m (VWAP of $13.333/NST share for the week prior):

Sale-of-Millrose-Project-for-$61M-to-Northern-Star-Resources.PDF [26-June-2023]

Completion-of-Sale-of-Millrose-Project-to-Northern-Star.PDF [25-July-2023]

Strickland are far more than a one-trick pony, that's for sure:

452a2156aa3218f403fa66bb995f3dd07b6620.png

Source: https://www.stricklandmetals.com.au/projects/yandal-gold-projects

edgescape
6 months ago

What II find intriguing about this transaction is the $67m transaction is more than what Capricorn Metals paid for Mt Gibson

Mt Gibson had a MRE of 2 million ounces which they paid $40m in 2021 (actually MRE is 79.7Mt @ 0.8g/t Au for 2,083,000 ounces of gold so all low grade)

But looking at the Mt Gibson map it is debatable which one is better value. While Mt Gibson has a bigger resource and also now a reserve of 1m Oz, Mt Gibson appears to be more spread out than Millrose and does not have the "western trend" Time will tell if NST made a good purchase but I think they did.

c89af4fb97c5541c34007960bca9bc1c31b654.png

In summary I don't blame Strickland for accepting that offer. There are some companies with resource estimates trading below 65m market cap including Barton Gold (BGD), Brightstar resources (BTR) and Astral Resources (AAR) but that does not mean they are good value (just look at the maps as comparison to Mt Gibson or Millrose).

I regret watching Tech and other non-gold mining shares when I should have been watching Strickland more closely even when STK appeared on my scan a few times.

Although the main project is gold, I'm of the belief now shareholder value can be extracted the same way as any other non-gold company on the ASX if the project proves there is scale and economics even amidst the falling gold price.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting the STK shares to pull back a bit to 10c so I can get more but I don't think that will happen as mentioned in the earlier posts.

We are also due for some drilling results in the next few weeks.

Bear77
6 months ago

I think that one thing people tend to forget when looking at gold grades, such as 0.8g/t Au (lower than 1 gram of gold per tonne of dirt/ore) is that you also need to look at how shallow that gold is, the ore type - i.e. how easy/hard and cheap/expensive is it to extract that gold at scale, and how close is that deposit to existing infrastructure, particularly a working mill that could be used to process the ore. Regis made good money at Duketon for years with low grades - and there are plenty of other examples. The management who were so succesful at Regis in those early years are mostly now at Capricorn (CMM) or Emerald (EMR) and both companies are doing really well. Grades are certainly important, but it's only one part of the picture. The best gold company management teams know value when they see it, and they are taking a lot of other factors into account to determine that value as it pertains to their company in the context of their existing assets.

BkrDzn
6 months ago

For NST, all they have to do is wrap a mining study together and put it through the Jundee mill. CMM has to do more drilling, feas work etc... and build a new plant to make any money from it. Different values applied to different approaches to monetisation. Same for WGX/RMS when bidding for MSV as all either had to do was mine and put through an existing mill, hence why the valuation on their bids were multiples of any gold M&A on the ASX for years (see my slightly outdated table below).

60fb37480a29f00d9713917093d149545fd02a.png

*edited to update the table

edgescape
6 months ago

@BkrDzn I agree it is hard to compare Mt Gibson to Millrose. And ti is obvious there are synergies for NST to acquire Millrose with one being trucking distance to Jundee Mill which I was aware of also.

Could explain why only Capricorn would be interested in Gibson as Clark and team have the experience to do low grade ore projects although I know the Capex will be huge.