Forum Topics PME PME Founder Sell Down

Pinned straw:

Added 5 months ago

In todays AFR

Pro Medicus duo in $176m selldown; UCP nabs trade

Listed healthcare imaging software business Pro Medicus’ two founders began selling down $176 million worth of stock on-market just before midday yesterday, after a strong run in the company’s share price.

Fund manager sources said Anthony Hall and Sam Hupert had stockbroker Unified Capital Partners seeking buyers for 2 million shares at $88 apiece. That’s the same price as Pro Medicus’ close yesterday.

The trade was worth just under 2 per cent of the company and went to existing long-term shareholders.

Prior to the trade, Hall and Hupert had owned 25 per cent each of Pro Medicus’ total shares on issue. They are trimming their positions after a 62 per cent rally in the share price so far this year.

The duo floated the company in 2000, when it was making just $9 million revenue and had been around for 17 years. They held on to 40 per cent of the business each after the IPO and have been judicious with selling down in the 23 years since.

For the 2023 financial year, Pro Medicus posted $124.9 million revenue (up 33 per cent) and $60.5 million aftertax profit, which was 36.5 per cent higher. It had a $9.2 billion market capitalisation and has benefited from contract wins.

In the 2023 financial year, it won or renewed multiyear contracts with University of Florida and University of Washington; US non-profit healthcare providers Gundersen Health System, Samaritan Health and Luminis Health; and Montage Health Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Bay Imaging Consultants.

Hall and Hupert’s leftover shares – about 24 per cent each – are worth $2.2 billion for each co-founder with the way the stock is trading.

UncleWally
5 months ago

I agree @Strawman.

I first bought PME back in the day when it was a TMF Hidden Gems recommendation. (Maybe 8 years ago, I can't remember and I'm on my phone away from my records ATM).

I've trimmed my position several times over the years under the guise of portfolio balancing and diversification and obviously I've missed a lot of upside but I can't blame the PME founders for wanting to trim their holding in the company by such a small percentage. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I seem to recall they have done this on a few occasions in the past and if I was in their position I probably would have sold a lot more. It's not as if they don't still hold a large portion of the company.

After all the wealth they have created for themselves and other shareholders its hard to begrudge them taking some cash off the table.

BTW, I still own PME and despite me trimming it several times it's still my largest holding. It's been a wonderful investment.

Strawman
5 months ago

You never like to see founders selling down @Remorhaz -- but in this case it's hard to blame them given the current market price. They can realise a huge amount of profit and still continue to be substantial shareholders!

They deserve credit for waiting this long! I don't think I could have!

(I think it's easily one of the best companies out there btw, but man.. the valuation is eye-watering!)

Bear77
5 months ago

Best time for founders to sell down is when the company is flying, and the share price is also. Founder sell down on Tuesday, another all-time high share price again Thursday (today):

80c47323c27f27136812d8dd9e1a0d04e098cd.png16fdf00f42134c237d733ef59838e9738c9c2b.png