Forum Topics PPE PPE When price defies performance

Pinned straw:

Last edited 5 months ago

Five months ago I posted a straw here on PeopleIn titled ‘Devil is in the Detail’. In conclusion I said “Until there is more certainty known about how much of PeopleIN’s business will be impacted by SJSP (now referred to as ‘Closing the Loopholes’ Bill) I won’t be adding any more shares . Back then the shares were trading at $2.20.

Well, to contradict my own advice I’ve been adding shares recently. Why? I think the market has overreacted and has priced in the worst case scenario. Shares have been trading as low as $1.34 over the last week, or 7x FY23 earnings. That might be good for an average business, but I think this a better than average business.

It is very unusual to see the share price of a business fall 70% from its peak while the fundamentals have been excellent and have continued to improve. What’s more analysts are forecasting future earnings growth of 14% to 15% per year. Although, I don’t think the analysts are factoring in the possible impacts of the ‘Closing the Loopholes’ bill if it does get voted in. I think PPE will get at least a year without needing to worry about impacts of the bill (if the Bill does get voted in without changes).

Another thing analysts might not be thinking about is the possibility of higher unemployment, which would be a drag on PPEs business.

The three year share price has been an absolute disaster!

32a25850e1c8c576f8151c2e410adb4ab88bd5.jpeg

It’s when we look start looking at the financials it all starts to get very confusing,

98280adcfb0c8aeea77523dcdebe4d94257721.jpeg

ae3e0c959bbd712b8864637f06076bd33e4ac3.jpeg

That’s impressive growth all round, yet the share price is close to 5 year lows. The historical ROE is also respectable averaging over 12% for six years. ROE should continue above 15% if the analyst consensus forecast prove to be correct.

bd3a2557b92c40d3d6bced71fb5d3800f8e9b0.jpeg

Source: Commsec

Analysts are forecasting FY26 EPS of 28 cps. Even at a multiple of 7x earnings that puts the FY26 share price at c. $2 per share. It’s also worth noting that PPE is trading under book value of $1.54.

04e7f45a2507d9656122c65fb6b98b661b151c.jpeg

Source: Simply Wall Street (24/11/23).

The margins for the business are low, Gross Margin 7.6% and Net Margin a slim 1.6%. You would expect low margins from a business that pays a workforce (94% contractors) and hires them out through labour hire services.

For what it’s worth management aspire to an EBITDA margin of +7%.

ad4310955418444cda61eb58c7f79ae42b58c4.jpeg

What about debt? PeopleIN has managed to accumulate some debt with acquisitions, including FIP. They paid down some debt in FY23 resulting in a net debt on equity of 28.5% (after taking away the $39 million in cash), which is OK. PPEs debt is also well covered by operating cashflow (75.3%).

b8201ff0228c947289741ac300c52e6a651dc8.jpeg

Source: Simply Wall Street

What about dividends? If you like a good dividend PPE is hard to beat. Based on the FY23 dividend of 14cps for FY23, at the current price this equates to a 10% fully franked dividend which should be achievable for FY24 at a 70% payout ratio. That’s 14% grossed up with 100% franking credits.

PeopleIn have a diversified portfolio across sectors and geographies:

6427ff67b609b977843175a547bd8f1dcc0240.jpeg

bc9173bc3f034e6aa723440d437f0852c1309a.jpeg

For PeopleINs labour hire services, most of these sectors should remain unaffected by the proposed bill. It’s the sectors where labour hire workers are getting paid less than permanent industry workers where the business model will be tested. For instance I believe Health, Government & Education, Technology, professional services, and finance & insurance should remain mostly unaffected. From what I’ve read there is likely to be some impact to the Food services business including PeopleINs FIP business where it is alleged by unions that meat worker contractors are getting paid less than permanent employees. I believe this might also be the case for mining contractors. I’m not across the impact to other sectors (if any), as it is all still evolving. However, a large portion of the business should be unaffected.

In conclusion, Labour Hire is a much needed industry, and it will continue to be needed into the future. There will always be a need for seasonal and casual workers across most industries. This is not a business model that is on the way out. However, the new ‘closing the loopholes’ bill will certainly shake things up for the industry, and will more than likely shake out all the ‘cowboys’ . If the ‘closing the loopholes’ bill is passed in full this is likely to impact parts of the PeopleIN business model, however I think the market is now pricing in the worst case scenario and there is likely to be significant upside to the share price from current levels. As a sweetener there’s also likely to be a fat 9% to 10% fully franked dividend in FY24.

Are there significant risks? Yes! Are good future returns possible? Yes! At the current share price of $1.40 I think total returns of more than 20% per year are possible over the next 5 years.

Disc: Held IRL (3.5%) SM (3%)

thunderhead
5 months ago

The market seems to be pricing in some sort of debilitating/terminal outcome for the business, despite the impressive (historical) numbers. The market rarely ignores obvious opportunities, and even if so, the window doesn't stay open for long, so a depressed share price for a prolonged period is cause for concern. All the very best with your bet!

I am glad I have avoided an investment so far despite several thoughts about opening a position over the years.

Rick
5 months ago

I agree @thunderhead. The market is betting on some sort of disastrous outcome for PPE in the future, like there is no longer a need for labour hire services, or the already low margins become unmanageable.

I think the downward chart has also been self- perpetuating (don’t try to catch a falling knife!). It’s hard to see any upward trend in the share price being supported by the market without either some great news from the company, or some stability emerging in the legislative environment, but stranger things have happened. It might be safer to dribble in if the the chart turns positive. Then there is also the risk unemployment figures could worsen.

My thesis is based on the fact that there will always be a need for quality, law-abiding Labour Hire service businesses to fill the needs of the seasonal/casual workforce, and as the largest labour hire service business in Australia, PeopleIN is well placed to fill that gap (98% of its employees are contract workers).

The government needs to think carefully about what impacts the new ‘closing the loophole’ bill might have on labour hire businesses fulfilling that role. Government agencies are among PeopleINs clients, and they are aiming to increase services to government to 20% of their revenue.

PPE is definitely not suited to the faint-hearted, or for a large position in any portfolio. I think we’ve reached our maximum allocation at 3.5% IRL, without some uplifting news…or any news for that matter!

At the moment it’s ‘crickets’ out there when it comes to views on PeopleIn and it’s future. While it remains a BUY for most brokers who cover it, I can’t find anyone who’s been talking about it lately. I don’t think they want to draw attention the to their ‘Buy’ call that’s gone pear-shaped. It’s best to say nothing and hope people forget they ever called it a BUY!

I’m not painting a very good picture here. The risks are high. However, very few equity investments are risk free or even low risk. For me the potential upside outweighs the risks, but I could be wrong! :)

Warning: Just think about what else you could be doing with your money!

thunderhead
5 months ago

Very well put @Rick. You've framed it about perfectly - this is a kind of asymmetric bet for a small portion of your portfolio, as the upside is attractive if the worst fears embedded in the price doesn't come to pass. Of course, if they can maintain anything like the current yield on offer, you also get paid to wait.

I guess I have a general aversion to businesses where human capital is the main/key resource or product, as anything human can also be very fickle. I have also learned not to be cavalier in going against the market through costly and painful experience - its verdict has to be respected and carefully considered if you are taking the other side :)

Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

@Rick interesting Rick, good luck with it. i saw simon shields was interested in PPE a while ago. my 2c, admittedly very uneducated and full of behavioural biases, is that i cant recall labour hire scaling well. in the dim past as i recall there have been some disasters, roe always looks good until the end due to low capital required. so i spent about two minutes on it and moved on. That is probably what you are up against. as for brokers (as i have said many times before) discount forecasts more than 1 years out, they dont care about them and have terrible records. you would know more than them i suspect. for PPE i at least like to delude myself that my investments have a moat! just can't see one of size here. could be wrong as usual

PortfolioPlus
5 months ago

Great points in the thread thus far. I am a little more optimistic about PPE’s prospects and believe we are in the trough of uncertainty, which might well be opportunity for select entities.

Apparent draconian legislation always gets watered down. I expect we will see this happen in the first half of 2024 as the BCA mounts a strong campaign.

Labor governments have a habit of offering advantages to the inner circle and market leaders. I think the wife of the 2007 PM did pretty well with a similar style biz back then. Think transport leader Lindsay Fox.

Then there are deeply entrenched views on employment these days. The job for life concept is dead. Ask the tens of thousands of banking staff. Even the Public Service understand and adopt a consultancy approach and ‘buy in’ brains to fit the purpose.

people generally want more job freedom, ask the millennials. Covid introduced yet more freedom with work from home. People like flexibility and diversity. It really is a different world.

Employers too want freedom and the ability to both scale up and down without the yoke of responsibility for staff and their families. I know I felt this when in biz with up to 70 staff. Just love retirement btw, with no staff, no stock, no debt, no worries.

Bottom line: I think the concept of contract staff is attractive to employer and employee. This argument is about the dollar amount per hour. The employer is going to have to pay it one way or another, so it becomes a pass along cost. What they want to avoid is that yoke of responsibility and the likely nightmare of paperwork.

I would expect PPE to become absolute gurus of both the legislation and the paperwork, plus use AI to do so at a much, much lower cost than the average Joe Blow business.

UlladullaDave
5 months ago

The issue with the legislation is there, but it looks to me like the big picture problem is that during that 2021 boom they were able to buy private companies on 3-4x EBITDA and have the market price those acquisitions at 10-12x EBITDA. The organic growth doesn't exist to justify that sort of multiple the market was paying, rates went up, the economic outlook got gloomier etc etc and so inevitably it compressed and the arb opportunity closed.

Between FY20 and FY23 they acquired $24.3m in EBITDA. So I guess the organic growth over that period was about 3%-4% at the EBITDA level – margins went backwards so no scaling despite 3xing revenue.

At two percent NPAT margins (yes, there is a lot of acquired intangibles' amortisation in there) it won't take much to make things look not so good if unemployment starts going up. And don't forget they have ~$85m in debt (tightening up days debtors looks like an attempt to wind back some of the WC investment given the rising cost of debt) and potentially $20m in earn outs that also need to be paid out.

I'd want to see where things land or at least see some improvement in organic growth. The ASX is littered with the carcasses of roll-ups that came back to earth.