Forum Topics Investing in a world of AI
Vandelay
8 months ago

Is investing in internet-based companies still attractive in the era of advanced AI technology?

This is a thought bubble I had over the weekend and thought I’d share to get some input and other points of view from the strawpeople.

I’ve tried to break down my thinking as follows:

• The swift pace of AI and technological advancements could pose a significant challenge for new internet-based companies striving to maintain a competitive edge. This rapid evolution heightens the risk of obsolescence or being outpaced by emerging technologies.
  • Investing in smaller, early-stage companies that are just establishing their market position and proving their technologies is now riskier than ever before.
  •  The increasing accessibility of AI and digital tools is reducing barriers to entry in the tech sector. This shift leads to heightened competition, enabling new entrants, including those with limited technological expertise, to replicate or surpass existing technologies.
  • Even large internet-based tech companies like Facebook and Google, despite their significant market leadership and financial resources, now face increased susceptibility to disruption. Their primary moats may be these advantages, but they are not impervious to the risk of new technologies rendering their current models obsolete. A willingness to self-disrupt is essential for survival.
  • Companies like Amazon or Apple, with their omnichannel approach involving physical products or services, likely possess more robust moats. Disrupting the scale of Amazon's logistics or Apple's product and service ecosystem is near impossible.
  • Given these considerations, should we shift focus towards more traditional business models like industrials? These often trade at more appealing valuations, offer clearer indications of potential disruptions, and possess tangible moats.
  • This doesn’t mean we should only invest in no-growth, mature businesses. Instead, exploring growing non-internet-based business models may offer a more favorable balance of risk versus reward.
  • While the potential for an internet startup to deliver substantial returns always exists, the outlook seems more predictable when selecting traditional business models.

In conclusion, while investing in technology and internet-based companies can still be attractive, the landscape is changing rapidly due to advancements in AI and other technologies. I think moving forward boring may become more beautiful. Investors may need to adopt a more nuanced approach, weighing the potential for high returns against the risks of rapid obsolescence and increased competition. Diversifying into more traditional sectors could provide a better risk vs reward return – even though its far less exciting. 

Strawman
8 months ago

Some really good points there @Vandelay

I likewise think that it's going to build any moat based on the capability of the software alone. You need the added elements of network effects, proprietary data/IP, scale etc if you're going to fend off AI successfully.

Solvetheriddle
8 months ago

@Vandelay good issues to raies. my 2c on this is that it hasnt changed that much. I recall a paper from Stern Uni that ranked the longevity of moats for each industry and tech was the lowest. (btw utilities were the highest ) both are unsurprising to me. I think AI just extends that into the future. what always intrigued me was the markets willingness to price the growth element much higher than the element of disruption or uncertainty of longevity in tech stocks. i feel that won't change. the winners from the mobile revolution will probably pass the baton onto, yet to be identied winners int the AI space. will it only be MSFt and GOOGL? probably others will arise. for those with a lack of defensive moats like IP, scale etc it is just as uncertian as it always has been to me. My disposition is for quality profitable growth companies and that won't change, but have to keep a weather eye on the risk of obsolescence, as always as it evolves. that my view

mikebrisy
8 months ago

@Vandelay Interesting thoughts and questions, and ones I have spent quite some time thinking about this year - and will no doubt continue to think about in future.

My thinking on this is that software and "internet" companies that codify and internalise business processes have a relatively strong moat. This is because they require well-tuned human and system process and data interfaces with the "users", where there uses can span a value chain. The human interfaces require training and behavioural adaptation in order to be effective, and it is the behavioural adaptations that are hugely important. Equally, there must be a level of trust by staekholders in the process and the tech. that a given set of inputs will lead to predictable outputs, with clarity on what is "prescribed" or certain.

Through their integration into mission critical processes, most software and many "internet" entities gain access to and control of a huge dataset beyond pure data and into value-adding information into the wider business evironment that can be leveraged. So the question for me is which firms position themselves to exploit this opportunity and deepen their moat around it?

So I therefore expect that software and "internet" firms will not necessarily become poor investments. On the contrary, those that make appropriate investments in ML and AI exploitation will deepen their moats and become even better investments.

So, I value highly software and internet companies that maintain a high level of spending on R&D as a % of revenue, and where they provide practical examples of how some of that spend is going into exploiting the huge datasets they hold.

This is why I maintain a high conviction on firms like $ALU, $TNE and $WTC, and its why I am giving firms like $VHT and $M7T a go.

However, from a portfolio management perspective, I also want to hold firms that deal with physical stuff. Hence I hold firms like $RMD, $FPH, $CSL as well as $LOV, $NCK and $SGI.

Your questions are great questions because that help us evaluate systemic risks in our portoflios.