Forum Topics LOV--FH24--glamming the world
Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

LOVISA FH24—Glamming the world

As part of my top 10 holding series I report on the above.

The result showed a strong top line and very strong GM performance in what is a difficult trading environment, sss -4%. The top line benefitted from new stores overwhelming some cyclical weakness, mainly in Australia the most mature market. Interest/lease expenses were higher and costs were generally higher due to growth and also some underlying cost pressure.

Given the outlook for the business and the assumptions necessary to make a reasonable return from these levels the critical questions remain around the extent of store rollout, ie how many and to a lesser extent how fast, as well as the related ongoing economics of new store rollout. These issues above all others will determine the investment case, imo.

Given that what did the last result teach us,

China and Vietnam were entered as new markets, and how these evolve, especially China will be a big swing factor. The Chinese market is different with social media and e-commerce platforms being more influential, so it may take some time for LOV to find its feet in this market. LOV has consistently stated that they will open stores if profitable and the opportunity shows potential, so the confidence to grow stores into these markets will be critical to LT performance and a point to monitor. LOV, “so far so good”.

LOV stated that the US was twice as expensive to build stores as other countries, including Australia ($150k/store), which surprised me.  The US saw 17 stores over the last 6 months, disappointing. The ability to lease at attractive rates remains the largest brake on growth, imo. Demand appears to not be a big issue.

LOV made the interesting point that monitoring sales per store, which I do, is not always appropriate since there are reasonable differences in the cost of operations, like labour, so lower sales matched with lower costs will give the same or even better profits. As they expand into poorer countries this will swing that measure a bit. GM does not vary significantly across countries. Shrinkage does.

LOV actively manage the stores, meaning poor returning stores get closed. The profitability drag from new stores and the opening/closing activity should dampen margins from the steady state. LOV stated payback on a store is 1-2 years (not bad).

There is no doubt that as the countries increase and scale builds there will need to be costs put in MIS, mgt etc, and given the volatility in the growth rates, we will likely see good and poor results around an improving trend that will likely be extrapolated by the market.

Other areas of interest

LOV stated that sss turned positive this year and tending higher, a positive.

FCF was very strong, although lumpy, and strong FCF generation has been an ongoing positive feature of the LOV investment case.

The GM performance showed the ability to use price to protect margin, a positive. Inventory was stated as clean at period end.

Analysts were trying to back solve for ebit from the LTIP for the CEO, which is based on future ebit but must be amortised over the current period, this appears to be where I am at, for what it is worth.

Currently in 40 countries.

VALUATION

The valuation I use is a simple 5-year eps growth and PE exit multiple. The growth is based on store rollout and sales per store and a gradual improvement in margin from scale. I assume 1177 stores by 2028 (854 now). The exit multiple, as with all growth companies will be a function of the remaining growth (+5yr) and the inherent profitability of the franchise at that time. At this stage, I am confident in both. At 16% cagr and under a range of exit PE’s I get a strong buying level at $22. Possibly lighten above $30.

Held cost base (profit/loss adj) $4.64. last buying $17.98, no sales in last 12 months

Mujo
5 months ago

@Solvetheriddle sorry if i missed this but could you please list your top 10?

Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

@Mujo yes sure, i am writing these notes as a journal and put them on my blog to keep me accountable. i put the ones i think there will be interest in on SM

outside of an intl ETF which is the largest position they are

LOV CAR REA CSL MQG GOOGL RMD PSI V and PNI sneaks in at no10 although there are a few around this size so depends on mkt movements

Mujo
5 months ago

Great, thanks for sharing!

mikebrisy
5 months ago

@Solvetheriddle great notes,… pretty much exactly what I wrote up on the call this morning in my notes. So that saves me a long straw!

I’m like minded with you on valuation range: $26 ($23-$30) for me. So no chance of topping up any time soon.

We probably need interest rates to stay up and do some more damage to retail spending before we’ll get the opportunity.

I don’t mind CEOs being well paid if they deliver. But when trying to figure out how to calculate CEO LTIP dominates the analyst Q&A so they can get their models right, maybe it’s a step too far. However, Victor’s experience in a rollout in China (Zara) is worth paying for.

Anyway, thesis intact - a global retail brand in the making, huge runway. The real question is what’s the trajectory from here?

High conviction hold for me.

Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

@mikebrisy thanks Mike i appreciate your comments. i guess i think it will not be a smooth ride, this rollout is a huge undertaking, and even if it succeeds, likely to be a few potholes, so there will be opportunities imo