Forum Topics IRBT (NYSE)

6ef1d4a94eabacf570709b2b3d6b6fc9a8a975.png

I doubt anyone has, but I'm curious to know if anyone has taken a look at IRBT? They seem to be a total mess at the moment (I think they are losing a lot of money), but given the brand and given the tailwinds for the industry, I do wonder if there might be something of more value than 257m in the company.

They must also have a lot of data collected from their little robots I'd think.

UlladullaDave
a month ago

I have no knowledge of these guys besides seeing ads for the Roomba. That being said, that term loan they signed up to with Carlyle is heinous. They are paying 14% interest, and it is an amortising loan and if they repay early they have to pay Carlyle up to 1.75x the amount of the early repayment amount. It seems as though Carlyle was betting on regulators approving the Amazon takeover of IRBT, which the EU ended up blocking, and then getting AMZN to pay off the loan at the 1.75x penalty rate or not paying the loan off and they collect 14% anyway. Just look at what sort of EBIT they have managed to pull off historically (when competition in "robotic floor care" as they call it was far less intense) and now subtract a $28m interest expense + principal repayments.

So, in effect you are buying a heavily loss-making company, with revenue going backwards fast, that took on a $200m loan as "bridging finance" while it waited for the AMZN deal to close. But now that deal has been blocked it has no real way of dealing with the debt without probably going into Ch11.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0001159167/000119312523192862/d502452d8k.htm

It would actually be worth a closer look if it wasn't for all that debt though.

I feel like this is yet another company that wouldn't be in this position if they raised capital when their share price was higher.