Forum Topics Value Investing
Rick
a month ago

Value Investing…skill, luck or both?

7238ae31c5bdde1ae4b89124c717b39ce15be2.jpeg

This is one of the best podcasts I’ve listened to on this topic. Probably because I agree with it. It could be the best 48 minutes you spend on investment education and portfolio management. My apologies if this has been shared on Strawman before. Link to Apple Podcast. Web link below.

“In his 2020 memo You Bet!, Howard Marks explained what it means to “think in bets,” as he discussed the many parallels between investing and games of chance. Now you can listen to You Bet!, the first release from The Memo by Howard Marks: The Archive. We’ve received many requests for an audio library of the memos that Howard Marks has published over the last 34 years, so we’re going to begin building this archive by releasing audio versions of some of Howard’s most popular memos.

To hear more about Howard’s thoughts on this memo, listen to his conversation with former professional poker player and best-selling author Annie Duke, whose 2018 book Thinking in Bets was the inspiration for the memo. This special episode (https://www.oaktreecapital.com/insights/insight-podcast/market-commentary/the-insight-conversations-special-episode-with-annie-duke-and-howard-marks) of the The Insight: Conversations with Howard and Annie was released in December 2023.”

mmff
a month ago

Hi @Rick,

Couldn't resist but that pic just looks like a serious Andrew Denton....

mmff
a month ago

Hi @Rick,

Couldn't resist but that pic just looks like a serious Andrew Denton....

lastever
a month ago

I love listening to Howard Marks - he speaks in complete sentences and makes broad economic trends seem simple. He's also got a reassuring grandfatherly voice.

Arizona
a month ago

I love hearing from Howard Marks. Thanks for the bringing this to my attention

thunderhead
a month ago

A lot of his memos, and his first book (The Most Important Thing) are well worth consuming.

And yes, you gotta appreciate people who can think, write, and speak clearly, even if you don't agree with their views. It is not easy!

Rick
a month ago

Thanks @thunderhead. I’ve ordered “The Most Important Thing”.