Forum Topics 8CO 8CO 4C

Pinned straw:

Last edited 3 months ago

$8CO posted their 4C after the close, on the last day or the month.

ASX Announcement

In short, they are making hard work of it, with only 2.4 months of liquidity remaining, due to the loan from the Executive Chairman - so at least the Board is aligned.

The release is full of explanation for the soft Q, and narratives of timing mismatches. It all makes sense, and is consistent with what has been said before. But this is becoming a sustained pattern, with a lack of growth trajectory becoming entrenched.

References to "elevated onboarding" only makes sense if your baseline is a flatline!

And Federal Government ARPU is heading in the wrong direction - that's not good and the movement is beyond the lumpiness of the explanation doesn't cut it. (Red Flag)

Card Hero rollout is continuing and its transaction revenue contribution is up 271%, which must be from a very small base.

Their Highlights

Outlook:

▪ The combination of improved billing cycle management, cost reduction initiatives such as cloud infrastructure optimisation and the ARR growth delivered through Q3FY24 drove improved financial performance during the quarter, resulting in an anticipated profitable final quarter to FY2024

▪ The above initiatives coupled with the 17k users currently in the go live phase provide 8CO with increased confidence that the financial performance delivered in the month of March can be replicated across 4Q FY24 and into FY25

Key financial highlights for 3Q FY24 include:

▪ Transaction and recurring SaaS revenue of $1.1 million, up 18% on the previous corresponding period (PCP) and total revenue of $1.9 million up 24% on the PCP

▪ Cash receipts from operations of $2.0 million, up 5% vs PCP

▪ Net operating cash outflow for the period of $684k as a result of investment into infrastructure for Federal Government “Protected” status (which has been achieved) and a timing mismatch between project implementation costs (includes significant third-party contractors) and cash receipts from client billing milestones. Infrastructure costs have since come down significantly and revised billing milestones are in place

▪ Annualised Recurring transaction and SaaS Revenue (ARR) of c.$4.7 million at 31 March 2024 ($3.7 million at 31 March 2023)

▪ ARPU of $24.23 up 20% vs PCP

▪ Federal Government ARPU of $39.11 for the period, a seasonally low period given the limited travel over the period

▪ Cash balance of $0.1 million at 31 March 2024 (31 December 2024: $0.8 million). The cash position is supported by an undrawn $1.5m financing facility from the Executive Chairman which ensures the Company remains adequately funded

FY24 YTD highlights

▪ Total Revenue of $6.1 million and over $3.3m in transaction and recurring SaaS revenue up 33% and 21% respectively on FY23

▪ Cash receipts from operations of $6.5 million, up 38% vs PCP

▪ TCV secured of $4.4 million

Key operational highlights include

▪ Strong customer demand continues to drive elevated on-boarding activity with implementation projects being executed across multiple entities

▪ New contract wins and extensions secured during the quarter include the NSW Department of Education, NSW Department of Planning & Environment, Murray Darling Basin Authority and the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet

▪ User numbers increased to 180k, up 17% vs PCP

d75f9a94b599f24366c8a7f5d103711c753161.png

My Anaysis

First, the longer run trend charts on number of users (Fig.1 ) and other KPIs (Fig 2) from the above table. Yes, it is lumpy as they say, and there is seasonality. But overall, $8CO looks to be treading water somewhat.

While indeed there has been progress over the year on onboarding of customers, its hardly a stellar growth trend.

Figure 1

58db26c6f829f383c7ce953b1c077f10daeea8.png

Figure 2

1aa03526ecd0c30e2a65d896a75c65222ab18b.png

And my usual CF trend charts, with the trends plotted only for the last 8Q.

Overall, cost control is good. And on receipts, while 3Q is a somewhat softer quarter, they need to deliver on the positive statements in the release and finish with a very strong 4th Q on receipts to keep the FCF positive trend line intact. Of course, the last two years has shown this is possible. If your stand back and look at the TTM trend in Figure 2, the last 4Q are materially better than the 4Q before that. This is a lumpy business.

The red flag is the Federal Govt. ARPU! A "soft period" doesn't explain it.

Figure 3: Quarterly View

4654ffaa4693a6b9e67cc5c22c8919f7558a60.png

Figure 4: TTM View

4b205fcf7338ecc3a7c54ccaaf9753071fee81.png

My Conclusions

There's no way I can see the strength in this business needed to build from my tiny position.

Whatever happens in terms of market reaction, I've put this one in the category to ride it out and see what happens. If they can continue to control costs, keep onboarding more government and public service staff, get some more Card Hero wins, and better align outgoings with receipts, then there is a FCF trend that can be built on - so all is not lost.

Again, saved by my policy of taking only small positions to start and only building with growing confidence borne out through delivery.

Disc: Held in RL and SM

Bushmanpat
3 months ago

I can see the clear potential for 8CO here, but I'm sitting on my hands at the moment.

To paraphase that well known quote, "The government can remain overly bureaucratic longer than you can remain solvent"

I'd like to see the onboarding a bit more progressed and a bit more cash on the books before I withdraw my hands.

Slideup
3 months ago

Just catching up on the 8CO quarterly, and it was ok in my opinion. Good commentary around many aspects but a few areas of concern.

The main area of concern was the Fed ARPU drop to $39, I'm not sure why they present an annual revenue number that changes on a 3 monthly basis, just annualise it as a trailing 12 month ARPU or say it is ARPU per quarter. We know this number jumps around a lot and there is some truth to Q3 being a low quarter with travel reductions due to the January holiday period. Q3 ARPU in 2022 was $32, but Q3 last year was $46 so not just linked to Jan effects. Regardless the $39 this quarter was the 2nd lowest in the last 2 years, and will be problematic if this stays below $40 in Q4. In the last 2 years Gov ARPU in Q4 has been around $10 higher than in Q3 so I am expecting to see this again. Despite this I have suspected that the equilibrium Gov ARPU would come down a bit as more users are onboarded. Simply due to a larger denominator and not everyone being high travelers , but until this quarter's numbers this thought had been erroneous, and management have consistently guided to $50+ levels so will see how this unfolds. Doesn't change the thesis much if it settles lower, just knocks a bit of the cream off.

Hats off to the management for running this tight, they have had minimal cash reserves now for 12 months, but have put the backstop in place (chairman loan facility) and then run their budgets to an inch of insolvency, the line between high risk and excellent capital management skills is a fine line for a microcap, but I still think that 8CO are doing a good job. Compare this to some of the other microcaps who continuously run down their cash and do silly things like pay dividends and then raise cash at depressed prices then you have to give 8CO a tick. I think some of the costs associated with the implementation and increasing their status to protected, were underestimated when they started the rollout but they have gotten mostly on top of these and are achieving the goals without dilution or playing the cost blame game so I still give management competency a tick.

The big take out for me was that the Protected status has now been achieved --> This has two big effects it will firstly reduce expenses, which haven't been broken out but I suspect this is in the order of $1-300K/qr, and secondly it further embeds them into the federal system and puts them closer to their next target of being the expense provider for Defence.

I look at 8CO and see a business that has been slow at converting their pipeline to live users, and there is no real evidence currently of the business being able to scale as revenue increases are swallowed by cost increases. However, I think this is the wrong conclusion to draw as I think much of these are short term costs due to the reliance on KPMG contractors to do the implementations. I am looking through these as after implementation occurs, these costs will reduce substantially and then the true economics of the GovERP program can come through. So I am happy enough with the quarter but do want to see them rebuilding their cash balance a bit over the next year, $130K cash is a bit low for comfort but ok as a one off! Based on what 8CO has done and what is in front of it I find it very hard to get a value of less than 10c, but this dependent on the costs decreasing relative to revenue and them generating a sustainable NPAT, otherwise the market is valuing this correctly at non-viable.

@Dangles @Valueinvestor0909 I wouldn't worry about the not yet engaged users being either wrong/typo/correct and the numbers not summing accurately. These numbers are just pulled from a government staffing document https://budget.gov.au/content/bp4/download/bp4_10_staffing_of_agencies.pdf - this link used to work but now it says it has been taken offline. Anyhow it was just a broad tally of employees. I was using this figure as just a general idea of how quickly users were progressing from phase 0 to live. The not yet engaged users are more than 12 months away from going live and have had no contact yet about the process so really early days. I suspect part of this is around the mandate change and how they are now classified but I think it is a distraction. You could argue this is a pipeline signal but, like @mikebrisy I've tracked this figure for a while and it rarely lines up with what is happening beyond a very high level indication.

CardHERO is really getting a bit of momentum, now contributing $100K, up from $65K in Q2 (2024) and $39K in Q4 2023. So after a slow start it is back to being something that could be a something over time again.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@Slideup great perspectives. This is why I am holding my small position for now, and retaining the option to increase if momentum returns and looks like it might be sustained.

For example, as you state - becoming the preferred solution for Defence would on its own be transformative. I agree as well that Card Hero is a dark horse and might also become somthing if it can get wider adoption in the sector.

Certainly, management's continued cost discipline is key to keeping hope alive!

While we may look back in a year or two and see that these levels offered an incredible opportunity to hoover up a ton of shares, I just lack the conviction and don't have the risk appetite to make such a move with a nano-cap.

Slideup
3 months ago

@mikebrisythanks, I agree buying here will be seen as either either brave or foolhardy!

My take is more if I wouldn't buy more at these levels then I really should sell it and move on, and this gut rule has protected me somewhat from past mistakes where the company ultimately ended up bankrupt. I am also bad at averaging up, which is a weakness I am working on, but to date averaging down has worked for me more often than not. When it has worked is usually in situations like this where the market is just uninterested in the company even though the underlying company is actually doing ok.

My approach with 8CO has been to dollar cost average into the quarterly/ half yearly declines both here and in real life, which has helped me (apart from the one time I had a fat finger error of buying 10k instead of 1K on SM, doh!). I have often noticed that I am too early to many of these stories, despite this it will still be painful if the market turns out to be right, but I don't rank insolvency as a high risk here unlike many microcaps. I see the risk more as a muddle though but ends up somewhere very different in terms of profitability than where I am expecting. I also wouldn't be surprised if this comes in for tax loss selling and ends up being closer to 2c before the next quarterly. As it wont take many marginal sellers to drop through SP. This level is where I am looking to do my next dollar cost purchase.

Dangles
3 months ago

@Slideup Brilliant analysis mate. Thanks for sharing.

It's difficult to be positive about a business with only $100k in the bank, but there remains a reasonable route to profitability the quicker they can onboard GovERP users and reduce reliance on KPMG contractors.

The mention of good cashflow receipts in April is of course a good sign, however I struggle to see how they will get through the next 6-12 months without drawing down some or all of the chairman's $1.5m loan facility, which I imagine will only further depress the beaten-down share price.

And yet still I hold. Which cognitive bias is it again when you figure it's not even worth selling a share as it's already down 72% from purchase? Blimey

mikebrisy
3 months ago

BTW, I meant 2.4 quarters funding left, not 2.4 months!

Number picked from the 4C, I think is (Cash+Funding Facility)/ (Operating Cash Flow last quarter). So don't attach any forward looking precision to it, but it highlights the importance of those receipts coming in, as well as uplift from recent new customers onboarded to help cover the cost base.

Thank goodness for a management team able to run off the smell of an oily rag, as the saying goes. (I guess it helps having an Exec Chairman who has his personal chequebook open on the office desk.)

Haven't looked at very closely but the no of users not engaged just glared at me..bit odd.

Will look into it.

Dangles
3 months ago

It's a typo on the presentation slide I think.

January '24 showed 79k users not yet engaged with 174k total potential users.

March '24 shows 7.5k not yet engaged, but still 174k potential users, So can only assume 7.5k should be 75k to make the math almost work

Or probably there is change in government mandate so its not mandatory for those users to actually go through this process and they can select other solution independently. So 174k potential users are there but not mandated anymore..(speculation from me but this explanation makes sense to me)

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@Dangles and @Valueinvestor0909 Ive found the user funnel to be a bit rubbery over recent reports. I used to reconcile it every quarter but the goalposts have changed a few times, so I am a bit suspicious about some of the classifications.

Happy to focus on active users, ARPU and revenue.

Slideup
3 months ago

@Dangles, you were right it was a typo, they just released an updated graphic and said it was a typo -- the numbers for users not engaged is 76,500.

a8612676aba144cf90bd57077aea0931f8eee4.png

Rocket6
3 months ago

I take a less bearish approach than a few here. Cliché perhaps, but the nature of this business means quarters can and will be lumpy. I think it’s important to take a step back and view business performance over 12-18 months. We have a business that continues to win government contracts – the best kind when you have them – but the road has definitely been a long one, like you allude to @mikebrisy. Slowly but surely, they are onboarding government agencies and, in turn, increasing revenues.

60eb7cbc66f6f611eaa6b1b9fba9b28c6715d6.png

Achieving protected status and project implementation costs have both likely exceeded what the board estimated. If the protected status has been achieved as they say, with no more costs to follow, then that is a big win. That just leaves the problematic implementation costs, which include significant contractor costs. With plenty of onboarding still to achieve, these costs will likely remain relevant for some time. In an ideal world, this wasn’t so expensive for 8common to facilitate. Alas, here we are. That said, they continue to invest in their future without ridiculous dilution like many of their micro-cap peers. The 1.5m financing facility, from the Exec Chairman no less, demonstrates alignment but also confidence that he will presumably get his cash back at some point if the money (or part of it) is required by the business. That helps mitigate some of the risks and concerns, for me at least. Knowing they won't have to tap the market on the shoulder -- at least any time soon -- with the share price at these levels, is comforting.

@mikebrisy, I disagree with your assertion that the Fed Gov ARPU decreasing is a red flag. Sustained quarters of this would be concerning and doesn’t reflect a business that will scale well, but this has previously been a volatile metric and will likely continue to be so going forward.

While the quarter, in my view, was not a good one, the nature of this business means results like this will happen, particularly while they are investing in and onboarding large clunky government entities. The big question will obviously be – at the end or towards the end of this process – what happens? When the protected status investment is in the rear-view mirror, and the implementation costs are no longer required due to a good portion of both federal and state government agencies having been onboarded, what will the cash flow statement look like? Will we see a business that starts to show operating leverage? They will have the best kinds of contracts at this point – sticky, stable government ones – and can raise prices to ensure they are a sustainable business (within reason).

On the other hand, a contrarian view might be that the business never achieves scale. Fundamentally, it might be that the business model is not an attractive one, even with the government contracts, and they are not in a position to make the profits required to operate sustainably.

That said, I don’t think the bear case argument is likely to eventuate or send them broke. At a market cap of a (measly) 7m, you are getting one of the dominant Australian businesses in travel and expense management – a niche market – that has a significant share of the government sector, particularly at the federal level. Further, you are getting a business that is bringing in around 10m in revenue a year -- with this increasing -- and a clear growth runway ahead of it. At a market cap of 7m?! I am happy to take that bet.

In fact, I am buying (with caution) at these levels, mainly for valuation reasons at this point, but also because I think they will be in a strong position in a few years’ time if they can ride out the investment window. I acknowledge this is a little spicy for some, but I think this continues to present an attractive opportunity – although I thought the same when the market cap was double the current level, so what do I know!?

A few flags I continue to look for (as triggers to exit): fed gov agencies heading for the door, sustained periods of fed gov ARPU at lower levels, sustained cash flow losses (for instance various quarters like this one with losses higher than 500k) and issues/delays with onboarding agencies (which would theoretically result in the business remaining in this implementation stage, much too expensive). 

Ps - I sent investor relations an email early this morning relating to the likely typo (which has since been rectified via an official release, as per @Slideup's post above). Nic had replied to my email within an hour of me sending it, acknowledging the error and indicating they would rectify it (as they have done). Credit where due.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@Rocket6 Fair enough, I was a bit fast and loose with the "red flag" label (if red means "stop the bus, I'm off"). So, I'll dial it back to "orange". Here's why.

The commentary on the ARPU only noted the favourable Total ARPU to PCP comparison. Fair enough. However, I couldn't understand the Government figure. Now, we know Government card spending has a clear cyclicality, with 3Q being a low period no doubt due to not much going on in January. Therefore, I have plotted the 3Q periods below in nominal $ (blue) and in $FY24 (orange), using the broadbased RBA inftation adjustment calculator.

We know FY22 was low, because around the Federal Election, there is a distinct reduction in activity with departments in caretaker mode. So, on a normalised basis (i.e. no election), FY22 is likely on trend with FY21 and FY23 - less lumpy than it appears. So, the FY24 result is surprising and at the low end of what you might expect given quarterly lumpiness. The picture is inconclusive on a nominal basis, but on a real basis, does it indicate that spending activity is falling?

A second consideration is that, as the proportional rate of user additons any period falls, so the proportion of users who have been using their cards for the full quarter increases. In order words, an existing user has used their card on average for 3 months in the quarter, while the new user has used theirs for 1.5 months, on average.

All other things being equal, as growth in new users slows, ARPU should therefore increase marginally. The waters are a bit muddied here due to the de-booking of a chunk of users that contributed numbers but no spend prior to 3Q FY23. (Hence my original remark about numbers of users being a bit "rubbery")

However, again, you are correct in your pushback. There are too few datapoints to say with any confidence that the 1QFY24 government ARPU is significantly lower. However, it does cause me to scruitinise this in future.

Part of what colours my rhetoric on $8CO is that a company this small isn't in my normal investing comfort zone. My thesis was based on a faster growth in numbers and revenue via GovERP. As the rate of wins slows and new user growth is modest and if a question arises over ARPU progression, I find myself with an immaterial holding with potential thesis creep.

The bottom line is that, overall I agree with your assessment, which is why I haven't sold. And if 4th Q finishes strongly on all fronts, then there is still a chance I'd want to build a bigger position. Of course, the dilemma is, that with a strong 4th Q, the SP will no doubt pop. But I think that's OK, because it has got pretty much beaten up over the last year - I thought it was good value at $0.087 - my average cost base.

So for anyone with conviction who turns out to be right, there's a potential motza to be made here!

2f8af907532768912e8d8575403edf74abc721.png