Forum Topics ASB ASB Acquisitions

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

There has been extensive reporting in the AFR about Hanwha's interesting in acquiring the shipbuilder first really hitting the papers in July 2023. Since then, the valuation has oscillated between $800m and $1bn.

Hanwha is a Korean conglomerate that in 2023 acquired a controlling stake in Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering.

In December 2023, MINDEF R. Marles signaled that any sale would have to pass security considerations. Reporting yesterday has Marles saying that the Albanese government has no concerns with the bid. The same article quoted an "estimated offer" of around $1.5bn, which would be a significant premium to the current market valuation of around $860m and a higher offer than originally quoted on 11 April (~$1bn).

If you're wondering why Hanwha would pay this much, I think the big three Korean shipbuilders are in an arms race, and Austal as AUKUS tailwinds not properly priced into their future along with possible undervalued assets around the world. The contracts are of strategic advantage to Hanwha over their main domestic competitors like Samsung Heavy Industries. It also gives them global yards to handle other orders they might have, especially if Austal is under-utilized.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't price this like an Aussie small cap, price it like you're a huge Korean shipbuilder under pressure with a growing order book and aggressive competition.

Appendix

1. https://www.kedglobal.com/shipping-shipbuilding/newsView/ked202311260002
  2. https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Engineering-Construction/South-Korean-shipbuilders-fulfill-discounted-orders-to-lift-earnings
  3. https://maritime-executive.com/article/korean-shipbuilders-orders-reach-12-year-high-adding-to-country-s-exports
UlladullaDave
4 weeks ago

As I said in a previous thread, my starting assumption is;

1. ASB will be taken out
  2. It will be done above book value

ASB is basically an American shipbuilder with an Australian name and an Australian operation that is significantly smaller.

That's important because I think it plays into the takeover dynamics that are at play: Hanwha primarily wants the American shipyards and I suspect Tattarang's only real interest is the Australian shipyards.

Hanwha is being courted by the US Navy to invest in American ship manufacturing because, according to the US Navy, South Korean shipbuilders are the world's best. Earlier this year, US Secretary of the Navy, Carlos Del Toro, visited South Korea and Hanwha, trying to drum up investment. This article is from the US Navy's own website. They are obviously quite smitten with Hanwha. For a shipbuilder the size of Hanwha, they really can only move the needle meaningfully by investing in the US. Austal seems like a logical way to enter that market; contracts already in place, shipyards in place – basically a turn key purchase rather than starting from scratch. And relatively (and justifiably) cheap compared to Huntington Ingalls.

1dce177fd44d423cdf13e4eb31e31956ddc6f0.png

bb4c4dd6a71096c0272f5c1107370f82b68c97.png

Releases

Tattarang, on the other hand, seems to favour investment in Australia focused businesses. It's sort of a collection of corporate Australiana, but as far as I can see from their website it has no investments in companies with significant overseas operations, except ASB – and this seems to be by design. This article about Tattarang's CEO in the AFR gives a bit of flavour into what they prioritise.

7153d98cb7349c9e0e20d8e9b9e86eb71820f6.png

Add to that, last year there were at least rumours that Tattarang wanted a deal of some sort to eventuate. I'm not sure I believe that Forrest is a seller of the entirety of ASB, but maybe they are. Seems weird a buyer like Forrest would have built the stake only to sell it a couple of years later. That's why I think some sort of breakup is a legit outcome of any sale process.

6ae9728a16bc1815d65154e984cedb9b8b3639.png

And we have from early April this from the AFR

e6a079802f97f3ba8c970c3d095708a4905641.png

So bringing it all back, we have:

1. Hanwha is a committed buyer
  2. Tattarang seem to at least be open to some sort of deal
  3. The reg hurdles that ASB used to prevent Hanwha doing DD have melted away

I don't really know what a deal looks like or if one even eventuates, but there is a lot of smoke....It's hard to believe nothing comes of it.

And finally on Friday an article from ASPI popped up about ASB

375b7e164d1d6188d535588e55417cba671343.png

https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/hanwha-ocean-buying-austal-would-probably-suit-the-united-states/

PortfolioPlus
2 months ago

You might like to note that Hanwha has a cosy relationship with Bisalloy (BIS) as well.

BIS are the only manufacturers of Quench & Thirst (Q&T) steel which goes into armour plate of tanks and the bushmasters, so popular in Ukraine etc. Plus, it is a significant additive to the hulls of the AUKUS subs if & when they become a reality. And reality took a step closer then they (BIS) were awarded with a research contract to test their hull strengths which quite possibly might see our Q&T exported to overstretched USA and UK ship yards.

My belief is that all these companies which have a defence bias will be (and should be) protected by the government. We were unprepared for war in WW2 with our steel exported to Japan to then return as bullets and bombs. Being an island continent we can be easily cut off, so we need to have onshore capabilities. Certainly both Austal and BIS have defence clearance thus far as I suspect BSL would have too. So put these 3 in your trifecta in the defence stakes over a mile and three!