Forum Topics NTI NTI Release of Rhett Syndrome PhI/

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

OK, why the post? What did they do?

Today NTI CEO Mr Duthy presented the full results of their 12 wk open label trial carried out on 14 girls with an average age of around 8 years using their lead cannabis derived drug NTI1164 on the conditions Rhett syndrome.

Where the results any good?

There was one adverse health event in the trial and it met the primary end point

Very roughly using the standard CGI-1 test they achieved a 10% improvement over 9 “exploratory anchors” conditions

Using 4 “core anchor” conditions they achieved a 23% improvement (p=0.04)

What are you talking about?

CGI-1 is the standard cognitive/behavioral test used to evaluate drug efficacy in conditions like Rhett. It was used by NEU to obtain their Daybue FDA registration.

When they talk about “4 core conditions”, they are exercising their right to focus in on just the best results. This is perfectly legitimate and what makes NEU’s PhIII crack at FDA approval for PMS so interesting.  They will legitimately zero in on the conditions they did best at in the earlier trials to frame the later trials.

What else?

The other key results was their RSBQ result which showed a 13.4 decrease over the baseline (p <0.001) – a 30% improvement.  Impressive. So impressive they showed a slide highlighting that NEU with Daybue in their Lavender Phase 3 trial had only shown a reduction of 4.9. (To be honest about it, they should have also shown a NTI164/Daybue comparison slide for the CGI-1 test).

Agreed that looks pretty good, what else?

CEO Mr Duthy was chipped in the webinar that it was only open label with just 14 subjects, so by inference pretty meaningless. 

His response was that with NTI's other trials, when they had gone to larger blinded NTI164 trials the earlier results held up.

So what do you want me to do?

Nothing, just watch. 

Mr Duthy said NTI is committed to the orphan conditions of Rhetts, PANS and CP even though Autism is a much larger market and NTI last month got some pretty results for their PhII/III trial.  They want to push the Autism results with the TGA and get an Australian provisional approval. Much cheaper and would be a real coup if they can pull it off. 

They only have around $14m and a lot on their plate. Mr Duthy provided a slide on what they are going to do in the next 8 months. Nothing really exciting.

Oh, thanks for wasting my time Scoonie!

That’s OK, just try to be patient.  The CEO is not an idiot and they could be onto something.

And hey, why don’t you go talk to someone smarter than me on this.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@ScoonieThe results looked encouraging to me at first read. I wasn't able to attend the webinar and have only given this a quick scan, so my comments could be way out of line.

The lower patient numbers and that fact this wasn't a placebo controlled, double-blind trial means that its not really a fair comparison to put the results alongside Lavender. That objection aside, the NTI 164 RSBQ scores have a 95% CI of -20.3 to -6.5, which compares with a 95% CI in the Lavender trial of -5.1 with a SE of 0.99, so you could estimate the 95% CI as -7.0 to -3.2.

Its not clear to me what the comparison of the CGI-I scores is, or if one is even possible. In addition to the small patient sample and lack of placebo control, it is not immediately clear to me how many or which anchors were used in the trofinetide trials. So while NTI164 seems to have a positive effect, I don't think any comparison is possible. Because for both, the effect is modest, lack of placebo control and sample size for NTI164 are going to be important. Which is maybe why no comparison was offered ... the interval would just be too wide. In the publications on trofinedite clinical trial results, there is a bit of detail set out in how the clinicians are trained to a "gold standard" so that they apply the 7-point scale consistently. So I guess we'll have to wait until the peer-reviewed paper comes out for NTI164 to see if the methods are truly comparable. But even then, the lack of a placebo control will throw a question over any effect, as the clinicians will be a different group and it is a subjective test. Again, I am not an expert and so these are more questions than statements.

It is also not clear what the next step for NTI164 for Rett's is. Presumably, they are going to see what gets through the peer review process, and what feedback they get at the Rett's Conference in October this year. They'd want to have a journal publication by then, and that should be OK if everything is good in their study design and analysis.

I am not an expert in this area by any means, but I think they've have to figure out whether they are going to do a full Phase 2, to help design the end points for a Phase 3 study. With the smaller sample size at Phase 1/2, the end point design might be trickier in going for a combined Phase 2/3. Being the second-to-market probably raises the bar for the approval. Second-to -market has to show some kind of benefit (whether in elements of efficacy, side effects, or benefits for some sub-population) relative to first. NTI164 does look favourable on side effects, if I am reading things properly.

So until there's more information on the way forward, it is hard to judge the timeline for Retts.

$NEU got to Phase 2 readout in 2017 on 82 patients and it took another 6 years to get to market. They didn't have a straightforward passage through Phase 3 - I haven't understood all the details, but recruitment got halted at some point.

So, with NTI164 at Phase 1/2, I think there are several years ahead for the Retts indication. I'm guessing DAYBUE has a clear run for at least 3 years and maybe more than 4.

I haven't read any commentary on the presentation, but I do note that the SP initially ran up 8-9% then fell back 17% to be down about 10% on the day. Did something come up in the investor call that put a wet blanket on what looks to be promising, at first glance?

Anyway, one to keep on the radar screen.

Disc Not held