Forum Topics FDV FDV Network Effect

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Thinking about @Strawman's email this weekend and a call to highlight any Network Effect businesses - these are often the strongest source of economic moats.

FDV is the most obvious early Network Effect under construction I am aware of.

Networks

FDV own and operate Real Estate, Auto and General classifieds in a number of Emerging Markets.

Their recent AGM presentation summarises the current state of the business well -

https://www.marketindex.com.au/asx/fdv/announcements/2024-annual-general-meeting-presentation-3A642576.

They are #1 in all but one of their 14 markets.

They are run by founder Shau Di Gregorio, who is ex REA, and the board has plenty of digital classified experience too.

These are usually winner takes most if not all markets due to strong network effects – think REA vs Domain (but note that REA is probably not the best analogue for FDV, tempting though it is).

Bulls and Bears

The bull and bear case for FDV is closely connected – Emerging Markets which are a source of great opportunity and numerous risks.

Beyond the risks which include sovereign, currency, legal, there are some genuine benefits.

These economies are growing faster (though often not as consistently) than developed economies and are still digitising parts of their economies as telco infrastructure develops.

These markets also offer the potential for classifieds to offer transaction services, which FDV have started doing as the markets are not as developed (dominated by real estate agents) as in more established markets.

This should embed their competitive advantage and widen their margins over time if successful.

FDV is also diversified across 14 geographies in 3 regions meaning the recent political and economic disruptions in Myanmar and Pakistan have not had such a large impact on the overall business, allowing them to benefit from eventual improving performance in these markets, while competitors struggle.

The difficult operating conditions in its markets since interest rates started to rise appear to have strengthened its competitive position in these markets as weaker hands lost market share.

Exits

The LATAM business will probably be floated in the US at some point as this is a more natural home for it's value to be realised – this is the fastest growing and arguably best segment of the business.

The EMEA business will probably exit its largest business Zameem (Pakistan real estate) as the majority (70%) owner looks to list it. However the majority owners will likely delay this even further until stability has returned to this business.

These events will likely be catalysts for realised and unrealised value recognition.

Disc: Held

Slomo
2 months ago

Appreciate the thoughtful disagreement @Karmast and @Dominator, always good to have a thesis challenged by the wisdom of the Strawman crowd.

I don't want to defend or try to talk anyone into FDV but in an attempt to draw out some more differing views...

FDV won't screen well statistically for a few reasons.

1) They have a mix of partly and fully owned businesses so they have to blend consolidation and equity accounting. This adds complexity to the analysis, if not the business. Management present their reports to accomodate for this as both Statutory to break down the reported numbers in detail and, Also on a 100% owned basis, to show the underlying performance of their portfolio.

2) They have been in growth mode when growth has been out of favour (and expensive). They're growing at a) the business level (organic reinvestment / Business Dev) and b) in adding to their portfolio.

a) The Organic Growth has seen them reinvest in rather than look to monetise their immature assets, so have been loss making but deliberately close to FCF break even with plenty of cash to fund ongoing organic growth.

b) The frequent increase in share count (almost doubling since 2019) has only been to make acquisitions and has been done at higher prices than at present. The actual value creation / destruction from these will take a while to evidence.

3) Even thought they are still loss making and likely to be for a while yet, they've just logged 4 consecutive Op CF positive quarters (3 of those FCF positive), so no longer need to report App 4C's.

If this represents the early stages of an inflection point, FDV could currently be a great opportunity even if it's not yet a great business.

If it's not, this could be a long and winding way to lock up capital that could be better deployed into a more known quantity...

Disc: Held

Strawman
2 months ago

Nice one @Slomo -- FDV certainly looks to be building some decent network effects.

I've emailed Shaun to see if he's up for another interview.

Nice one @Slomo.

Another type of network effect that isn't often talked about in the investing community is the one companies like Microsoft, Google, and Amazon have.

These companies have large cash reserves and a strong desire for innovation, allowing them to hire top-notch developers and engineers. This leads to the creation of excellent products, which then attracts even more talented developers and engineers wanting to work for them, creating a powerful cycle of growth and innovation.

If you ask any promising developer or engineer about their dream job, most of the time, they'll say it's Google or Microsoft.

Don't know if its consider Network effect or whatever effect but That is serving them so well.

Karmast
2 months ago

@Strawman I don't know the FDV business as well as long term shareholders but when I have looked, it strikes me as a "gonna company". It's always "gonna" realise all this potential and become a profitable business just like REA or CAR has been for a long time.

The truth so far though, is the business has lost a lot of money, losing between 4% and 30% of shareholders equity every year since listing. In turn they have mined shareholders wallets with so many capital raisings that there are now almost twice as many shares on issue as when they listed. And even with sales increasing from $2 million to $67 million since listing, losses were $13 million two years ago and $6 million last year.

So, sorry to be a debbie downer but the summary below is food for thought...

9ddfa8e1c8ccc6772fd2bb051ce1f9ebb8df15.png

I could be wrong of course and they are about to become the next big winner but the numbers paint a different picture, so far.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Karmast - right on. For me the numbers speak volumes at $FDV. Not even on my watchlist. Stories are great, but stories without numbers, not so.

Strawman
2 months ago

An excellent point, and well made @Karmast

Lots of market place businesses that SHOULD have great network effects have fallen short of expectations (Camplify a recent example perhaps) -- which is a good reminder that it often pays to wait until there is evidence that things are unfolding as you'd hope.

FDV has certainly had good revenue growth -- but blunted by share issuance and yet to see much evidence of effective scaling (some at the EBITDA line, but less so much in terms of cash flow).

Still, they do own the leading brands in some fast growing markets, so the potential is there. Maybe all the growth CAPEX will start to bear fruit, but until then it's a wait and see for me.

Dominator
2 months ago

For comparison with Frontier Digital, MercadoLibre (US listed) is on my research list at the moment. Often referred to as the Amazon of South America, operating in about 15 markets in the region. $14.5B US of sales last year up 37% on the previous year! Consensus estimates of 25% CAGR growth for revenue and 40% CAGR for EPS (according to TIKR) over the next two years. Another great example of network effects and in this case based in emerging markets.

While not directly the same as Frontier Digital, with MercadoLibre being a marketplace rather than a classifieds business. Which is a better investment? On a risk adjusted basis (and potentially absolute) MercadoLibre seems like a much better investment, its easy to back a winner that's already winning especially in these types of markets where winner tends to take all.

thunderhead
a month ago

I also came on here to echo similar sentiments.

Despite its promise and riding the coattails of what should be an attractive business model (as local successes have shown), Frontier is well and truly a "show me" story for the market - strong execution is paramount. Glossy slides and soothing words ain't gonna cut it no more.

thunderhead
a month ago

Like and own MELI directly, though the current price accounts for a lot of its expected success. Subject to wild swings sometimes though, so hopefully there's a few more opportunities to accumulate!