Forum Topics How do you stay informed on the companies you invest in?
UncleWally
a month ago

This an interesting question because we all gather our information from differing sources.

I started my investing journey with The Motley Fool and I still maintain a subscription with Share Advisor.

I don't buy every recommendation but if they recommend a company I own or a company on my watchlist or that I follow then that may reinforce my view or keep me better informed.

I was very fortunate to have been a long time subscriber to MF PRO during Joe Magyer & Matt Joass' leadership and I am still enjoying the benefits of some of their best stock picks so it's no wonder I continued to follow Matt and Joe until Joe's departure from Lakehouse

I have invested some funds with Matt Joass via his MAVEN FUNDS Management. His reseach papers, updates and reports are 1st Class. He is a very savvy investor.

Until recently I had invested some funds with Lakehouse Global fund which I have redeemed for personal reasons and not dissatisfaction of any sort. Lakehouse produce monthly letters for their Global Fund and their Small Companies Fund and the occasional Webinar that provides great insights into their holdings, their thoughts and insights. Available via their website.

At this point I might say I have shamelessly riden on the shoulders of giants over the years and invested in some of Joe and Matts best picks that have indeed been life changing. A couple of wicked stock pickers there. Unfortunately Joe has left out shores and moved back to the States which was a great loss to the investment community.

I also follow a few commentators on AusBiz that I regard highly, namely Gaurav Sodhi, Micheal Wayne and our very own Wini Winchester. I seem to relate to their investment phylosophy and hence follow similar companies. Once upon a time @Strawman used to feature on Ausbiz but alas no more.

Increasingly, I find myself following many of the wonderful investors right here on Strawman. I have been with Strawman from day one and I can't think of a better vehicle to share and learn new ideas from some of the best investors going. If ever I log onto my Nabtrade A/C and see something that stands out, for sure someone on Strawman has posted some commentary.

Strawman is a wonderful innovation, worth its weight in gold. You should be very proud of the community you have established here @Strawman.

I listen to Baby Giants podcast, Motley Fool money and Intelligent Investor's podcast- Stocktake.

I am also an avid reader of all things, Ian Cassel and Morgan Housel.

For better or worse, I have a Nabtrade A/C and although their reliability leaves a bit to be desired I get all my notifications via them though I do go through the ASX website from time to time.

Once upon a time I read everything I could get my hands on, but it was information overload. These days, I have settled on the above sources because I relate to them and that's all I need thus I can tune out to all the other noise.

The older I get the simpler I want it so the KISS method suites me fine

Happy Investing Strawpeople..

mikebrisy
a month ago

@McLovin I start with my CommSec Account, where I do the following:

• Current holdings have an email alert and app alert for "Price Sensitive" announcements
  • Some holidngs have price alerts, when I am looking to accumulate on price weakness
  • I do the same for about 5-10 (it varies over time) of the 30-40 companies on my watch list

Beyond that I try to read quite widely around each company:

• Annual reports and other announcements
  • Selected broker reports and broker summaries
  • Information by competitors (investor presentations)
  • ad hoc press cutting searches via Factiva.com
  • Wider research on the industries /sectors I am invested in
  • For healthcare stocks (31% of my RL ASX portfolio) I occasionally read relevant peer-reviewed journal articles
  • I use marketscreener.com (paid) and tradingview.com (free) for summary financials and evolution of broker price targets
  • Occasionally, I run a SimplyWall Street.com company report (free service) it I want a quick company overview. It keeps getting better.

But increasingly, I go back over reports by StrawPeople. These reports are often very good. Also, I'll often follow readings reacommended by StrawPeople.

McLovin
a month ago

Hi all,

Keen to understand how members stay informed on the companies that you invest in? I use Google Alerts, Google News, Tikr and Simply Wall St, but are there better ways to get real time information on companies that you have put your hard earned money into? Also mainly referring to breaking or real time news here as opposed to listening to analyst calls etc.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

Ipsum
a month ago

I use MarketIndex to receive email notifications when a company on my watchlist releases an ASX announcement. It's free but their data feed has a 15 minute delay. You get the notification right away, but if you click through you can't read the PDF for 15 minutes. If I'm particularly keen I'll just log into commsec and go find it there.

Otherwise I generally try to avoid getting a lot of real time general information on companies. I find it distracting and feel it pushes me to be more reactionary. Instead I'll try and spend time reading up on a company from time to time. I assume that if anything significant is happening to warrant buying or selling there is no way I'll be faster than the pros, anyway. Though that might not be the case with small- or microcaps.

I'm curious to hear what others do.

Dominator
a month ago

Reference announcements, I use Hotcopper watchlist, also tried StockTrack for ASX announcements straight to my email. If I want to read within the 20 minutes of release I just go to the ASX website which allows access as soon as they are released. I also use the filter function in Gmail to automatically delete any consistent daily announcements (such as buy backs) that I don't want notifications on all the time.

This has saved me on one occasion when I sold out of Quickstep (QHL). I got the announcement read it within 5 minutes of release, knew the results/outlook was a sell for my thesis so was able to sell right away into the orders already listed. Got a 5% better price than close, 12% better than the worst price of the day and about 20% better than one week later. I got lucky that day I was at my computer but would say it can help for the smaller end of the market to be able to quickly execute on news if it is thesis making/breaking.