Forum Topics MIN MIN Business Model/Strategy

Pinned straw:

Last edited 2 months ago

Massive pullback of the share price this week from the unfortunate news of the Yilgarn Hub closure

7d47d91dec377a4d911ead7959e94d85ec5c03.png

I know a month ago I mentioned about hoping for a pullback, but not in this sort of situation. Hopefully those workers get redeployed on other work.

Tempted to dip my toe in here but instead I will do some research...

In the last JPM report (June 24), I found a few extracts about Yilgarn that looked interesting

Yilgarn last quarter produced 2.1mt.

dc54d1f8799b6ec5e907d1b2932c9bd51e9409.png

I guess Onslow will produce 10mt in next quarter so that makes up for the shortfall.

And below is the JPM valuation of Yilgarn which is only a few cents compared to Onslow.

83d3911d46c45f8da2059cf2f418fdb04feb0e.png

So the share price fall of (7%) appears to be a big overreaction. However the market is probably factoring in all the costs associated with site decommissioning and rehab at Yilgarn.

Of course former dog and possibly the Neuren equivalent of Iron Ore RHI has hardly reacted with the 200m milestone payment now a certainty

32cccba1a61f837538fcf43ad05cc4b30c76ba.png

[holding RHI, thinking about MIN]

Remorhaz
2 months ago

FWIW Gaurav Sodhi has posted an updated report on MIN on Intelligent Investor today and has a Buy under $65 (Sell above $120)

In short he's quite glowing on the stock

Key Points:

• Iron ore prices falling
  • Lithium prices falling even more
  • Balance sheet carries debt

but ...

"Nothing makes a more determined long-term investor than a fall in the price of a stock you own. Finding patience when prices fall might be a cliché, but it's the right call in this case.

If we look out three, four or five years, MinRes will be a larger, more profitable business following the investments made now, in difficult times.

Iron ore volumes and margins will expand even as prices fall; lithium margins are admittedly at risk of lower prices but will be offset by higher volumes and rise with prices. Mining services earnings continue to grow and gas assets present an uncounted option. MinRes will be more profitable over time. We just have to be patient. BUY."

DISC: Held in RL & SM

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

thanks @Remorhaz , this is about as risky a stock as i want to go for a large holding, iron ore prices??, lithium prices??, asset sales?? large capex to put to bed, in CE we trust.

edgescape
2 months ago

Wow some late buying today.

Wonder if I picked the bottom?

Bit of beer money if I took the quick trade.

I probably trust the MinRes Ellison more than the Oracle Leisure Suit Larry Ellison

edgescape
2 months ago

MinRes just copped a downgrade from UBS. Price target of 55.

Also IGO PLS and LTR got downgrades

thunderhead
2 months ago

This may not be the bottom (indeed, the shares look vulnerable technically), but I couldn't resist initiating a position here at the lows. Still room to add if the market obliges with better prices over the coming months.

Bear77
2 months ago

I'm assuming you mean MIN @thunderhead not RHI - coz RHI looks pretty good - but yeah, nah, MIN looks horrible on their chart ATPIT, but they'll be back. I'm looking to buy back in - in July or August if they stop falling and start moving sideways or up again. MinRes do tend to trend very strongly don't they!?!

But quite a ride if you stay "IN" all the time...

f4fa77357deb599a03bb512a6e27c63c5031c2.png

thunderhead
2 months ago

Yes, I do mean MIN. A super volatile ride indeed - 52w highs to near lows in a matter of weeks!

I am prepared to back CE and his team though. He's cut from a different (but very good) cloth :)

edgescape
2 months ago

Probably MinRes better value than RHI at the moment given the recent moves. @thunderhead @Bear77

RHI was purely a arb trade on the RHIOJV milestone payments and royalties. I doubt there is much base metals to be found around the RHI joint venture despite what Josh Pitt says. I value the Gold and base metal potential to be "Zilch". And they have not put the money to good use if RHI goes ahead and pays the special dividend instead of doing an acquisition that could be "transformative". Maybe invest the 200m into an AI microcap? I'm sure the members in Strawman have a few ideas?

7a49948980f1c9a168ccb0c0949f9ac1c62923.png

As I said, Joshua just got lucky. The saying that every dog has its day rings true here

a7f417b848b5098057c1826748edd6552ad7cd.png

You would have had to wait years for the market cap of RHI to explode around this news. A true example of the beauty of Micro Cap investing but without the AI, Green Industry and Software Tech Tailwinds of other microcaps which makes it even better!

Slideup
2 months ago

@thunderhead, that is very similar to my thinking behind MIN, its all about CE and how he allocates capital. I went a bit early as well, but you only know it is early in hindsight!

I am a fan of the way he structures his deals so that MIN continue to get paid for the life of the mine, it really helps de-risks the commodity price exposure. Closing a high cost mine with $10-15 margin for a long-life low-cost mine ($60-70 margin, plus some of the costs they clip along the way - mining service contracts and they get $8/ton haul road fee (or 51% of it now) for moving their own ore to port, it all makes a lot of sense to me.

The way I am looking at this is you are buying the very solid, and growing ore crushing business and getting the iron ore and lithium options, which are still cash flow positive at current prices for almost free.

Looking at your rollercoaster image my first thought is there is going to be some fun bits along the way, 2nd thought remember to trim the position when I start thinking I'm a genius for picking it!

thunderhead
2 months ago

Well put @Slideup. Let's hope it works out for us, though it could get worse before it gets better.

edgescape
2 months ago

Holder as of this morning. The offer below 55 too good to refuse.

But it was a tough one to pick between this and EOL however it would be too much concentration risk with GTK and EOL together.

Also previous broker Val's probs out of date after the haul road sale

edgescape
2 months ago

The above broker report is from April 24, not June 24