Forum Topics GYG GYG Business Model/Strategy

Pinned straw:

Last edited a month ago

Interestingly when GYG IPO last month, my twitter feed was littered with self proclaimed gurus touting it a massive burrito pump job onto dumb retail. Even recall a few complaints that there wasn't enough borrow to short it.

Anyway here we are at $32 and only one side is laughing so far.

Is it really a house of cards... Shoot your prediction for the SP in 12 months?

UlladullaDave
a month ago

It's a short on valuation/business risk, but I bought some. Low liquidity, a PE selldown from a mob that does more than its bit to feed the street = plenty of fawning broker coverage and everyone swimming in unison to get it into the index. It'll work until it doesn't. A pump is a pump, right?

And that is the reason I'd never short anything purely on valuation.

Taking a guess at SP in 12 months, my guess would be somewhere around where it is now – but I would be inclined to think there's a reasonable chance of the price going above $40 just because they probably have some good news ready to go in their backpocket. From memory, $28 or thereabouts is where index inclusion happens.

Dominator
a month ago

I think the dump onto retail has a very long way to go... According to market index 85% of the shares are held by top 20 shareholders. While it is so tightly held the share price will remain high. Great IPO strategy by GYG, make it exclusive and keep it that way until it is strongly free cash flow positive therefore keeping share price high for cheap raises and allowing original investors to slowly take profits. If it never makes it to that strong free cash flow point at least the original investors get to take some profit while retail is left holding the bags.

Agree the thing that stood out to me in the IPo was the very tight ownership. that means the SP can be moved by small vols and controlled. not for me.

Mujo
a month ago

Dominos went for years before reality set in that it wasn't a technology company.

GYG can probably do the same and think they can make some good looking numbers in the first couple of years - then they realise there's competition with Zambrero/Mad Mex/Taco Bell etc and that not every store is as profitable as Australia Square in the middle of the Syndey CBD...

Strawman
a month ago

Excellent points all around.

I wouldn't short it for the reasons mentioned (I never short anyway) but the valuation only makes sense if growth is strong AND sustained. Every chance they have a good run for a bit while they lock up the best sites but I think it'd be a sub par return from here if you were to hold for 5+ years.

As for 12 months price target, who knows!? But for fun I'll guess $30